General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wada YOU think??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005 | 01:39 AM
DannyDFXWG
|
Advanced
Default Wada YOU think??

I know this has probably been discussed a milion times, but it is an issue that is always growing in importance. What i want to know is what ya'll perfer. Do you like carbs or EFI, and why? What are your experiences with them. With the Motor Company slowly but surely getting rid or carburated hopsickles, i think this is important, and I'm just kinda curious to what your thoughts are. THANKS!

Old 06-19-2005 | 03:07 AM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Default RE: Wada YOU think??

I love EFI. I had a love/hate relationship w/ carbs on cars when I was young. Once I got used to it in cars, I fell in love with it. When I got back into riding this year, there was no question...I wanted EFI. Main reasons...cold day starts and dependability. Main drawback...the whole computer thing, but that's more than just EFI. My opinion only, Art

Old 06-19-2005 | 09:59 AM
Dog Folks
Intermediate

This past year, I have owned an '05 Sportser, (Carb) and then stepped up to a '05 Softail, (EFI). LOVE the EFI. Starts quick, runs great from the first minute.

My wife had a Sporster, (Carb). She had a lot of trouble, understanding how to use the choke (Enricher) properly. The bike would cough, have no power, and would occasionally stall. She stepped up to a '05 Dyna. (Carb) Now she doesn't have a problem. She uses the choke properly, and the bike runs great.

I guess the moral of the story is that it depends upon the model bike. The Sportsters seem to be very "cold blooded". The V-Twins are not and a bike with a carb is not really a problem.

Choose what you are more comfortable with. If it is a big twin, it doesn't seem to matter much.

Old 06-19-2005 | 01:56 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

When I bought my Springer about a month ago, I had intended to get carbed model but they didn't have any. I might be a little crazy, but I wanted to learn how to work on my own bike. The dealer said that all he had left was the efi model and that it might be the last one that they would get this year and that Harley was doing away with the carbed bikes. I was in the mood to buy and I didn't want to wait so I bought the efi and I haven't had any regrets. They tell me that efi is what's happening and my son felt that I should get with the program. Persnally, I would be happy with either one because I wanted a Harley and I didn't care how it came. I will admit also that my efi is easier starting and running on cold mornings than the carbed bike that I had years ago. To each his own.

Old 06-19-2005 | 10:44 PM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member

I'm a huge fan of EFI. I watched its progression in the automotive industry. To say it's made a major impact, would be putting it mildly. Technology is your friend, embrace it...

Ryan

Old 06-20-2005 | 12:43 AM
bobg1253
Road Captain

I bought a 04 Super Glide last summer and I did not even consider the carb. EFI all the way for me. This bike runs great regardless of temp or altitude. You obviously can't "tinker" with the EFI the way you can with a carb, but since "tinkering" with carbs seems to be more art than science that is probably a good thing. With the history and experience with EFI in the auto industry, I'm sure it will replace all carbs in motorcycles very soon. Definitely the way to go IMHO.

Old 06-20-2005 | 08:18 PM
skos
Elite HDF Member

I think it is like do you like blonds or red heads. As I get up in age it is EFI now because it is less hasel

Old 06-20-2005 | 08:23 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member

I'll take redheads over blondes everytime and EFI over carb.

Old 06-20-2005 | 08:25 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member

I've only ever had carb but I'm thinking that I'll go EFI when I buy another bike (course, I won't be getting rid of the Sporty).

Old 07-30-2005 | 12:13 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member

bump

Quick Reply: Wada YOU think??