General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:12 AM
dortiz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Buying Advice

Thanks for any feedback in advance. So phase 1, I finally decided I wanted to have a Harley which I have craved since I was 10 (45 now). Phase II, took the MSF course. Still did not feel that confident but still on my mission. By the way after sitting on some with my short legs I knew it was Fat Boy Lo or Deluxe ( I am not a chick) (not that there is anything wrong with that either). Just have short legs and want my feet planted. Phase III, Took the MSF course again and loved it. It was a breeze...almost boring and pure fun. They also had Hondas that were like mini cruisers instead of those Buells set up like sport bikes. I hated them, loved sitting normal. So now I feel darn good about getting around. Mind you for me that will be a year of enjoing my very suburban back roads.
So now I am set on that Fat Boy Lo and just for fun I check some Craigs list and see this White Fat Boy (not Lo). Its been lowered 3" though and fits like a glove. I went and sat on her and she felt like my couch. Has everything I want, saddlebags, windshields, Chrome and nicer handlebars. Its a 2000 Fat Boy with 10k miles and they want 9k for her.
So on one hand a bike that feels like it should be mine and its half the price of a new one or spend the money on the new one.
Here is where I need advice. Would you save the dough and have 5 speed vs. 6 / Smaller engine vs. newer bigger one / Carb vs. FI and lastly the new electronics and ABS which I would order. Is all of that worth the savings. I am right in the middle since I actually just like the bike.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Dave O.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Pysces
Intermediate

My advice to you is to go with the used bike since it is you first bike. Everyone that I know has only kept the bike they cut their teeth on for a year or two before trading up for something else.

I am sure that there are some on here that didn't but I bet the majority did.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Tex42
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on that-get the used bike and ride it for awhile. Sounds like a good deal and will get your feet wet on riding. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:32 AM
525tom
Cruiser

Buy the used bike.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:45 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

too many great deals on garage queens out there to justify buying new... i got a 2005 fatboy with 3100 miles on it for less than 10K. any new vehicle is nice but that payment soon overshadows your excitement over the vehicle.

to me the carb and 88 engine is a plus, i hate EFI.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Dog Father
Cruiser

Go with the used Fat Boy, you can always upgrade when you are feeling really comfortable riding for a couple of years. I have an 88 with a 5 speed, works for me, no desire to upgrade. Good luck! You're lucky to have some good road to learn on too.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:14 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

best advise go used i would offer 7500 and see what happends, but if you pay 18000 for a new one, you will have a hard time getting out of it, because you will want the new one later get your feet wet, and as far as 88 5 speed in my opion that is a great combo, six speed is a joke unless you want to ride in arizona at 100mph for long times,

Old 09-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Nickrc3
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the used Fat Boy, you can always upgrade when you are feeling really comfortable riding for a couple of years. I have an 88 with a 5 speed, works for me, no desire to upgrade. Good luck! You're lucky to have some good road to learn on too.
+1 - Yes, definitely pursue the used market.
Love my 04' w/ carb!

Old 09-01-2010, 12:37 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I would definitely get the used bike and offer $7500-8000. You can always sell it 2 years from now and get a used 2010 garage queen.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:44 PM
vonzoog
Tourer

Going by what you have stated. Buy the used bike. You will enjoy it. The more you ride you will learn what kind of riding you really like and/or want to do. This could lead to you wanting a Touring or Dyna instead of a Softail.

I agree with most of the others hear. Odds are you are going to change to another bike after a couple of years.

You may find out that your not in for the biker life after all. You don't want to take the lost on a new bike if you don't keep riding.

Quick Reply: Bike Buying Advice