General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negotiating The Deal...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Motorbones
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negotiating The Deal...

Okay, I've officially started myquest for a K11 Road King. How did you negotiate a better deal on your ride or what didn't work on finding that sweet deal? Thanks...

Old 09-01-2010, 09:36 AM
merc64
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm in a little different situation than you because I'm trying to find a good deal on a 2010 use/trade-in. I think you'll find it kinda tough to find a "deal" on the 2011's since they just came out but you never know. If you can wait for winter you might find dealers a little more responsive but that's a crapshoot too. My opinion, if you're really looking for a deal I'd try a new 2010 leftover. But if you're stuck on the 2011 good luck.

Oh and tell us where you're looking to buy. Alot of the guys on here can probably point you towards a good dealer.

Last edited by merc64; 09-01-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 09-01-2010, 09:57 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Heres what I learned from my mistakes.

1. Do your homework, meaning know what you want and start with MSRP.
2. SHOP AROUND with multiple Dealers and dont be afraid to go some distance for the best deal. Dealer pricing can vary a GREAT deal due to geography and market conditions.
3. If your planning to finance know your FICO credit score before you begin to deal.
4. Understand your local requirements for such things as plates and license DOCs fees. Dealers build in a PROFIT in this area too.
5. Remember that money talks, bullshit walks! It works both ways.
6. Be prepared to WALK away from the deal offered by the Dealer. Its NOT the last bike available, there is always another one somewhere.
7. Be realistic in what you think is a fair price.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:58 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Pay cash. And be willing to walk away.

Usually always works.

If you can wait till October, in most places that will make your dealer a "motivated seller." In California, your mileage may vary.

Good luck!

Old 09-01-2010, 10:02 AM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Find a leftover 2010 and get yourself 10-15% off with no freight and no prep...You will be $2-$2500 ahead of their game.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:21 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tomcraner
Find a leftover 2010 and get yourself 10-15% off with no freight and no prep...You will be $2-$2500 ahead of their game.
First of all, 2010's have only been "leftover" since early August. I've never seen another company better at matching supply to demand than H-D. If you're going to hold out for 10-15% off MSRP + not pay freight or prep for a touring model H-D then I think you'll be waiting for a long time. Find a dealer that YOU are comfortable with. Negotiate the best price you feel comfortable with. Paying cash won't save you a dime on the price, it may actually cost you since the dealer can't make anything on the financing. If you can pay cash, let the dealer shove you into whatever plan they like, as long as there isn't a prepayment penalty. Pay the bike off a week later. Once you have the deal YOU are comfortable with, quit talking about a deal on this forum. Someone will just convince you that due to their superior nature that they got a better deal than you and you will just feel cheated by the experience.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by k&j eglide
.... quit talking about a deal on this forum. Someone will just convince you that due to their superior nature that they got a better deal than you and you will just feel cheated by the experience.
Yep...and I'll wager that if the post was "Post your sales contract" rather than "what deal did you get"....you would not see anywhere near the number of "screaming deals" that get posted....

Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Pysces
Intermediate

I just bough a '11 RKC. Shop the different shops, I went to a dealer an hour away from my closest shop and saved 1k.

Also check out credit unions for financing. I got 3.49% at my credit union where HD best for tier 1 was 5.99%.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:30 AM
525tom
Cruiser

Don't let your emotions get involved and treat the purchase as a business deal. You can get all comfy and be emotionally attached after the purchase. It's hard to do but will be the best way financially. Also, do your research as someone else suggested, very important.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:31 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

actually i agree with above poster, people think paying cash helps, while in fact it hurts, the dealer can buy the paper for say 6% and charge you 10% and the 4% is pure profit it is just like life health ins, they try to sell, and the ext warranty ect all those are profit makers, same with cars, let them think you will fin and let them add all they want, but keep the msrp in mind, i would offer below msrp, but let them think they can have all the profit on the add on`s than after taking delivery pay it off and cancell all the crap, and remember set up is pure profit, as well as delivery, now do not feel sorry for the dealer you still will be giving them a fair profit they have up to 5000 profit depending on model

Quick Reply: Negotiating The Deal...