General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negotiating The Deal...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:28 PM
bigcarl10
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah I forgot I paid cash, but that didn't really help. In fact if you finance they make like $300 bucks off the financing so it really doesn't help you to pay cash they don't care.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:01 PM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcarl10
I just bought a 2010 road glide and got a really good deal. The others are right they will really deal more on a 2010. I used a Victory Cross Country as my bargaining point. It really seemed to annoy them to be loosing business to Victory. The Victory sticker was $1000 less the the road glide and the victory dealer didn't add $1000 worth of fees to the deal like Harley does. They had like a $199 flat fee. When it was all said and done I got the bike I really wanted for the price of the one I compared it to.
They do not deal on '11's for the most part. 2010's are the deal if you find one. The dealer's here offered all their 2010's at 10% off MSRP with no freight and no prep. $150.00 doc fee. The dealer I bought mine from sold 2 SG's and 4 RK's within four days
after they offered the discount. Labor Day starts the end of their prime selling months

HD is no diff than any dealership - they "floor plan" those bikes and some of the 2010's they may have had for several months.
They gotta get rid of them - their costing the dealer too much per month.

Last edited by 10 RED RK; 09-01-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:58 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't pay cash,you can do that anytime after purchase,the 10 is worth $1500 less than the 11.Have your financing before you go in,credit unions are like 4%.If you want pipes and chrome and other crap price them, get a deal on them and the labor before signing.If you have a close great dealer it is worth 500 more if not screw'em get best price.

Do not pay frt. or prep.,you will but not the full amount.

When your ready to sign go over everything including the condition of the bike,every add on every T shirt and just before you sign while holding the pen ask for the first to services and the extended warranty for $900 more.

The salesman will balk and go talk to his mgr.Hold your ground,go home relax and give them 72 hrs.

Your phone should ring.

ps if they have exactly what you want keep your pants on and maybe get a ballpark going with a couple bikes,your favorite included..........

Last edited by T K Glider; 09-01-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:48 PM
billk
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, I didn't realize that there were so many business TYPHOONS on this forum!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:54 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

Because there are a lot of dealers somewhere near you in CA you should get some sort of concession if only because of the competition. I got around 10% off here in the SF Bay Area because of the fact that there are 6 dealers within 30 minutes of my house, one way or another.

I ended up buying from the dealer closest to my work.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:57 PM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by billk
Damn, I didn't realize that there were so many business TYPHOONS on this forum!
TYPHOONS!! LOL! I prefer BUFFOON....THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Old 09-01-2010, 07:21 PM
toothdocthc
Account Deactivated At Users Request
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k&j eglide
First of all, 2010's have only been "leftover" since early August. I've never seen another company better at matching supply to demand than H-D. If you're going to hold out for 10-15% off MSRP + not pay freight or prep for a touring model H-D then I think you'll be waiting for a long time. Find a dealer that YOU are comfortable with. Negotiate the best price you feel comfortable with. Paying cash won't save you a dime on the price, it may actually cost you since the dealer can't make anything on the financing. If you can pay cash, let the dealer shove you into whatever plan they like, as long as there isn't a prepayment penalty. Pay the bike off a week later. Once you have the deal YOU are comfortable with, quit talking about a deal on this forum. Someone will just convince you that due to their superior nature that they got a better deal than you and you will just feel cheated by the experience.
you are 100% correct on everything above, Unless your looking for a dyna or sportster which I still see 2009's available at some dealers. You will pay fee plus msrp for a 2011 probably until december this year.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Motorbones
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW!!! A lot of good stuff here (Typhoons, Tycoons, et al). I've been told they don't deal much if at all here in Sacramento or Folsom. My co-worker (rides a custom Street Glide) tells me the better deals are in the Bay Area as stated. I'm willing to travel to get what I want, but won't hammer it down to the penny. I'll work on the locals first and go from there. I may need to take a couple of trips to SF to get what I want. I have some time and like I said, I'm purchasing something I want for a long time. This may be my 4th bike, but it's my 1st Harley so I'm looking at this as an adventure as much as anything else. I hope to ride this one for quite awhile.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:55 PM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Motorbones
WOW!!! A lot of good stuff here (Typhoons, Tycoons, et al). I've been told they don't deal much if at all here in Sacramento or Folsom. My co-worker (rides a custom Street Glide) tells me the better deals are in the Bay Area as stated. I'm willing to travel to get what I want, but won't hammer it down to the penny. I'll work on the locals first and go from there. I may need to take a couple of trips to SF to get what I want. I have some time and like I said, I'm purchasing something I want for a long time. This may be my 4th bike, but it's my 1st Harley so I'm looking at this as an adventure as much as anything else. I hope to ride this one for quite awhile.
Here's a thought for ya; Try www.chopperexchange.com dealers list their inventories on that sight at least in this area. You input your zip code - distance and in the Advanced Search function you input specific model and year, Try it maybe it will save you some time.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:11 PM
smokinfromshootin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its hard to find a good deal, they barely make much on new bikes. i would shop around. i am locking in a street bob saturday that was $500 cheaper from one dealer to the next. can't hurt to call and get the out the door price before driving all over.

Quick Reply: Negotiating The Deal...