General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions, decisions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:47 PM
Dynaman128
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions, decisions

Sorry to do a duplicate post but I might get more info in this section. Thanks--------------------------------------------------------------------------So I've always wanted to ride and I decided to finally do it. I am taking my MSF course tomorrow and I have been shopping around for bikes and info. After looking at some of the metrics and victorys I think I like the Harley's best (feel free to tell me why buy harley) and I would rather just buy what I like now and take my time learning instead of buying and having to upgrade 6 months later. So I am looking for some opinions?-Any advice on buying a bigger bike (like the super glide) as opposed to some little 600cc bike. Do it and take my time learning? or just learn on a smaller bike and have to upgrade later?-Any models or years to stay away from? (I am most likely going to buy used. I am looking at an 09 super glide that has low miles and a great price in my area)-and I'm sure its a personal pref. but the 96" or the 88"?Thanks in advance.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You say you've always wanted to ride. How old are you? Have you ever ridden anything with two wheels? You might want to rent a couple different bikes after you've taken the course and gotten a license. Get the ride like a pro video and watch it every night for a month. Starting on a smaller bike might be a good idea but if you have natural abilities it won't make much difference. You're going to be a little intimidated no matter what you try. If you don't have natural abilities right from the start then riding might not be for you. But try. Get through the course and take it a second time if you feel you need to. Rely on the instructors for their opinions of your abilities.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:03 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

If you're not a honkin' huge guy, consider a used 883 Sportster. Gives you a good intro and then you can move up after a year or two.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:04 PM
4 inch pistons
Road Master
Received 142 Likes on 82 Posts

Yea---what he said

Old 08-31-2010, 09:04 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i had a well thought out response but this damn touch pad sent the page back...

long short get what you want now why lose $3,000 on an 883 sporty 6 months later? my fatboy is lower, better balanced, and easier to handle than my sporty was. if you do get a big bike just pick some isolated back roads to practice on, don't head out to a parking lot practicing figure 8's and sharp cone weaves at 3 MPH you'll dump it.

as for HD they retain their value well, easy to work on, works of art, great bikes, the standard that all other cruisers are held to. performance wise though they can't touch metrics or vics.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:06 PM
louisianaSVT2001
Road Master

Get a Dyna Get a Dyna!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:11 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by louisianaSVT2001
Get a Dyna Get a Dyna!!!
Yup sir, what he said!!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:11 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

If you were smart, you would get something 500cc or smaller to learn on then in a couple of years start moving up to the bigger bikes.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:15 PM
louisianaSVT2001
Road Master

I would think that learning to ride on a dyna should be quite easy. In stock form HD engines are not overly powerful and a easy to get used to power-band. Also the Dyna is light and easy to throw around. Just my 2 cents

Old 08-31-2010, 09:17 PM
albatross
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 216 Posts

Went through this when my wife started riding; got her a 1200l and a year later moved her up to a Low Rider. She wished she had started with the Dyna. Like one of the posters mentioned, the sporty is more top heavy and power to weight ratio makes it touchy at times. I'd start with the bike you want and learn to ride it IMHO.

Quick Reply: Decisions, decisions