General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions, decisions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:18 PM
Dynaman128
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks for the responses and heres the answers to some questions. So I'm only 22 but ever since I was a little kid I have wanted to ride (thought a bought getting a bike at 16 instead of a car, but the parents wouldn't go for that at the time) 2 wheel riding experience: this goes about as far as a bicycle. Size: I'm a pretty short guy about 5'8 185 lbs. and I am mostly looking at Dyna's (Super glide in particular)

Old 08-31-2010, 09:23 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynaman128
Ok thanks for the responses and heres the answers to some questions. So I'm only 22 but ever since I was a little kid I have wanted to ride (thought a bought getting a bike at 16 instead of a car, but the parents wouldn't go for that at the time) 2 wheel riding experience: this goes about as far as a bicycle. Size: I'm a pretty short guy about 5'8 185 lbs. and I am mostly looking at Dyna's (Super glide in particular)
you could ride anything in HD's lineup. dyna superglide is a great bike. if you want a dyna superglide buy a dyna superglide. if you buy an 883 sporty in less than a month you'll be kicking yourself for not buying that superglide.

you don't need to ride a 500 CC bike around for years before moving to a harley. you'll be a beginner no matter which bike you use and make some beginner mistakes, contrary to popular belief you aren't destined to drop your bike several times (you pay insurance for a reason anyway). the biggest issue with a big bike is if you can't pull a u-turn and you get stuck trying to backup an 800 lb bike on a slight uphill. other than that once you're moving they ain't heavy. i feel much more confident in traffic and on the freeways on a larger bike anyway. i couldn't imagine riding a rebel around cars in traffic.

Last edited by babalu; 08-31-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:24 PM
mhern08
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Im with Babalu- Why buys a POS beginner bike or a sportster for 8000.00 when everyone here knows you are going to sooo hate it in about two months! Then yer stuck with tradin' and selling and all that. Dude like I tell everybody go get the bike YOU want not what you'll "make do with"! Then get some friends to help you, get a license, get a MSF or RIders edge course and just do it!! At least that way yer ridin' getting the feel of it etc. Oh yea and have fun !!
Good luck. Jus my .02

Old 08-31-2010, 09:25 PM
albatross
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 216 Posts

I think you'd love it. I believe any of the big twins are better balanced bikes. Not saying Sportsters aren't cool!

Old 08-31-2010, 11:22 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,658 Likes on 2,537 Posts

If you go for a Superglide, you should consider the Superglide CUSTOM--'07 & later. Much better looking bike;you get the chrome engine package,the tank mounted console, & IMHO the best looking bike the MoCo makes.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:13 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

You'll love the Super Glide. Nice Ride.

And they brought out the 96" in 07.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:49 AM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dickey
If you go for a Superglide, you should consider the Superglide CUSTOM--'07 & later. Much better looking bike;you get the chrome engine package,the tank mounted console, & IMHO the best looking bike the MoCo makes.
HEY! watch it with the "Much better looking bike" comments, lol. Not everyone likes cleaning spoke wheels and shining up chrome... and my crappy looking speedo is easier to keep an eye on than the tank mount.
All of these suggestions are really great. I started riding when I was 11, so it was a more natural progression in motorcycle size for me. I owned a sporty, and while some disagree, I felt it was much lighter in the handlebars and easier to control, compared to the SuperGlide I have now, but I had already been riding for many years by then. The slow ride is where you'll need to practice extensively, and where you'd feel the weight of the SuperGlide. I guess my advice would be to keep seeking advice from those that ride until you feel comfortable making the decision, whatever it may be, you're gonna love it! Good luck!