General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD might be hurting more then we know

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:16 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm confused (nothing new).

How can a service type company fire the corp they were getting paid to serve. Seems like a case of HD simply saying, "No. That bid is too high these days. We can get a better deal elsewhere" and the service company covering their tush by claiming that the split-up was something THEY came up with.

Last edited by RangeRat; 09-01-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 AM
2010IRON883
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THey sold me a 2009 iron and had to rebuild the engine at 1400 miles due to a loud rattle and worn parts from starvation of oil in the front cyl.. Then after that it had tons of electrical trouble . They replaced the ecm still didnt fix the problem. The engine light would come on it would idle rough and the speedo would stop when it got ready. They finally told me they couldnt figure it out. I had been threatening with an attorney that i had on stanby and just needed to send in the paperwork to ok his persuing the case. I rode that bike about 5000 miles but was in the dealership sitting many of my days off. They fianlly replaced it with a 2010 iron that was brand new as well. They added a yr back to my service plan and put all my accessories on it for free replacing my supertuner. I cant complain they did me right and now i have another brand new bike just tripped 1300 miles with no troubles. They arent to bad off or they wouldnt have gave me another bike. Im just one guy and i have no idea how they are but i hope they make it!

Old 09-01-2010, 07:07 AM
joeschmoe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by adamFXD
they seem to be selling lots of bikes, everyone has a Harley Now.
Sales are DOWN for HD...down 8.8 percent this quarter and 15.something percent last quarter...

It's NOT HD dropping the ad agency it's the Ad agency DROPPING HD!!

Here is a link to the article...http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ad-age....html?x=0&.v=1

Old 09-01-2010, 07:22 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Hmmmm...They really don't need an add agency anyway...How many times a day do you see the Harley tee shirts? On any given day there are a few million walking billboards with the brand name on it.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:30 AM
a1a goose
Cruiser

I have always thought advertising only works for a new product that is just be introduced to the masses. How many people can say they ever bought something from an established company based on advertising? Advertising just does not impulse me to buy anything, but and can discourage me from buying a product. If your company has a really stupid ad I'm less inclined to by your product.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:19 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

GMC was the largest automobile and truck builder in the world for many years. However, due to incompetent management, the company went belly up. They never adjusted to compete in a world economy. Labor and management cost were not in line with the competition. HD could suffer the same fate. Toyota seems to have lost much of its core value that put it among the leaders.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:28 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by a1a goose
I have always thought advertising only works for a new product that is just be introduced to the masses. How many people can say they ever bought something from an established company based on advertising? Advertising just does not impulse me to buy anything, but and can discourage me from buying a product. If your company has a really stupid ad I'm less inclined to by your product.
Really? Look around your house....you use heavily advertised products every day...what kind of beer do you drink? Toothpaste? Deodorant? Car? Truck? yada yada yada. Vehicles are "pre-sold" products based on customers perceptions based on advertising. The HD "bad boy" theme is 100% pure marketing. Harley Davidson is one of the 100 most successful brands in the world. And trust me...I work in the automotive industry and my clients are suppliers to HD. The MoCo is a very arrogant and difficult company to deal with. They want everything for free. My guess is the ad agency got tired of their crap.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:31 AM
a1a goose
Cruiser

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Really? Look around your house....you use heavily advertised products every day...what kind of beer do you drink? Toothpaste? Deodorant? Car? Truck? yada yada yada. Vehicles are "pre-sold" products based on customers perceptions based on advertising. The HD "bad boy" theme is 100% pure marketing. Harley Davidson is one of the 100 most successful brands in the world. And trust me...I work in the automotive industry and my clients are suppliers to HD. The MoCo is a very arrogant and difficult company to deal with. They want everything for free. My guess is the ad agency got tired of their crap.
What I'm saying is I don't buy a product because of advertising. I buy a product becuase of the product.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:34 AM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This reminds me of Apple/Macintosh computers.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:37 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Harleys dealers hurt them more than anything.They need to be shook up.

Quick Reply: HD might be hurting more then we know