General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD might be hurting more then we know

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in Wisconsin so naturally I watch TV that originates here. In tonights news there was a story that the ad agency that has worked with HD for over 30 years has dropped them to work with more successful businesses. This makes me wonder just how solid HD is here in the badger state.
Not sure how many here live under a rock and don't see the world around them, but,... uh,.... EVERYBODY is hurting.

Companies are cutting costs everywhere they can. I suspect that HD simply wanted to cut their advertising expenses and this company could not longer meet the price.

No ad ajency is going to turn away business just because they don't think the company will survive. If the bill is being paid, why would they cut it? (Hint: They want to sell their advertising service).
That would be akin to HD refusing to sell bikes because they didn't like the buyers. Nobody does that!

Old 08-31-2010, 06:25 PM
garslayer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since my first time logging onto this website I have noticed a theme: everyone loves their Harley and a majority hate the Company. Maybe it would be best to view it as one would a sports francise; for instance, the Dodgers. I have rooted for them, been pissed at them and ignored them completely. However, when it comes right down to it: for my sporting buck, I always root for the Blue. Bad analogy? Just a thought.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:27 PM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe HD is doing so well, they decided they don't need to spend as much on advertising anymore!!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 06:49 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

This must be this week's "Harley is Dying" thread.

Harley's SGA expenditures in 2009 were virtually flat with the peak year of 2008 and up dramatically from 2007 and prior years. This is the part of the budget that includes selling and advertising expense. It makes sense that they are having to spend more per bike to advertise and sell in this economy. Sounds like the ad company wasn't getting as large a piece of the pie as they wanted, and their slice was getting smaller. Hard to believe considering Minneapolis is more or less the advertising hub of (at least) Minnesota.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:04 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

HD can probably stick it out on my monthly payments for the bike and accessories alone. Just the cost of my 1000 mile service alone could keep the lights on for a couple of more days!

Old 08-31-2010, 07:15 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40,056 Likes on 13,522 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bluesmanjesse
Hmmm... I'd be interested in a little more solid info,not just that an ad agency got thier panties in a bunch over no getting enough $$ from the MoCo...
I agree with you bro.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as HD is turning a profit, and they have been and still are....they will be around. Now, if they start posting huge losses for several quarters in a row, start worrying. Until then, just ride and enjoy.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:41 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I guess you didn't see the other thread on this exact same subject before you started this one?

Old 08-31-2010, 07:43 PM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why pay an advertising company to do what so many do for nothing and actually pay them for the privilege to do.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:50 PM
JBA111
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this could be the company that made all the video ads and designed all the printed ads. and Harley could have decided to just run the ads they already had for the next few years. so they would not be spending big bucks with the ad company for new ads.
I did this with my company. took the old ads and inserted a couple shots of the new products and wa la new bling in the ads for way less dollars.
like the guy said no ad agency drops your business so they can go HUNT some better business. I would say Harley is fine tunein their advertiseing and this company is not hired for the next season.

Quick Reply: HD might be hurting more then we know