General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Deluxe a girls touring bike???...INCOMING!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006 | 10:24 PM
Inforit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Is the Deluxe a girls touring bike???...INCOMING!!!!!

ORIGINAL: DoCPooF

Isn't that what your wife wants Arn?

Yes, my wife sat on it and really like the feel of it.

Old 09-08-2006 | 10:25 PM
VetteSiNz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's it....I'm taking the Deluxe sign on the front fender and replaces it with a Heritage. If that doesn't work then I 'll trade it in with a Honda GW.[sm=yikesomg.gif]

Old 09-08-2006 | 10:45 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 800XC SP

I agree with ride what you like...as far as them being "chick bikes" you can thank the dealers for that. I was looking around at the local dealer getting some Idea's on what bike would be good for my wife to upgrade to from her sporty. The salesman asks if he can help and I say I'm just looking around, course he doesn't walk away, asks again what in particular I'm looking for and said just trying to get some idea's on a replacement for my wife but NOT by any means ready to buy. First thing out his mouth then is " did you see the 3 deluxes by the front door? They made those for ladies you know, low seat height, etc."
I love it when salesmen "steer" you.

When I went to the dealer I wanted to look at Street Glides. They didn't have any in. I was torn between a DWG and a SG. They did have some dwgs in. In fact a nice used one. The salesman comes over as I'm looking at the new dwgs. He says "We make those for taller people you know, forward controls, slightly longer frame, etc etc etc." I'm 6'4. The stretched look is what first attracted me. I sit on one, feels roomy. I likes.

I nodded and asked if they had any more than the 3 DWG's out, or some nice used ones. As it turns out there were 2 really nice used ones. A 05 and a 02 - I went for the 02 (only 1000 more miles, $2500 less, more mods and .. carb). I told him I'd talk to the wife and swing back by later, probably with my checkbook. He shakes my hand.

Seems like we're on the same page, right?
He then walks over to a 06 Fatboy and says "Before you go, have you thought about the softail family?" I raised an eyebrow. "This fatboy (in the same color as the dwg you were just looking at) and is top of the line for just a few more dollars. It a little pricier, but you'd really enjoy it."
I had sat on one a few weeks earlier. I liked the feel for a short hike down the road, but with my legs being so long I thought I would be uncomfortable in an hour + run. Felt like I was sitting at a school desk. I almost requested a different salesman. Mine ended up turning out to be excellent after he realized I was serious about buying the used one.

------ Point is - you buy what you like. Don't let anyone else talk you into anything else. Take for example Bluerose's bike - I'd be proud to own it, colors and all. I'd just want it a tad bit higher. I like the Deluxes. Very classic and stylish, with a modern rumble and easily added - good looking storage space.

Old 09-08-2006 | 10:55 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was thinking of getting one for my wife she only rides once in a blue moon , and I could use it as a second bike. I like the black and white two tone paint. Would just have to put a lower solo seat to lower ride height.

Old 09-08-2006 | 11:14 PM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow ! what a thread. I heard this before I bought mine because of the low seat height. What I don't understand is that you hear of other riders wanting to lower other models so I just don't get it. Other than maybe a Heritage Springer I wouldn't replace it with any other HD.

When someone pays my bills and taxes for me then maybe I"ll listen to their opinion about what I buy....

Mike
NY

Old 09-08-2006 | 11:15 PM
IRready
Road Master

lets see, I have freinds who are girls that ride sporty's, heritage classics, road kings and softail standards. I guess HD makes mostly all chick bikes. Does that mean this is a chick riders forum ? I think there is some **** envy going on.

Old 09-08-2006 | 11:28 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior

The more I look at it , yes it is a girls bike.

just kidding LOL LOL LOL ,NO ITS NOT

Old 09-09-2006 | 12:23 AM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior

No no no. My deluxe is not a girls bike. It is a babe magnet. ..wwwhhhhooooo wwhhhhoooo. [8D]

Old 09-09-2006 | 12:53 AM
Nadil
Road Warrior

I love the looks of the Deluxe. I ended up with a RK Classic instead cause I wanted that classy look but with more touring comfort.

Old 09-09-2006 | 01:18 AM
IRready
Road Master

ORIGINAL: hd2007

The more I look at it , yes it is a girls bike.
just kidding LOL LOL LOL ,NO ITS NOT
You drive a street glide and you think a deluxe is girly? J/K

Quick Reply: Is the Deluxe a girls touring bike???...INCOMING!!!!!