General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Deluxe a girls touring bike???...INCOMING!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006 | 03:31 AM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Is the Deluxe a girls touring bike???...INCOMING!!!!!

Had a guy call my 883 a "Bitch Bike" couple weeks ago. Thought about it, then tossed it out. ANYBODY who's concerned about what kind of HD a woman rides has got some sourt of inferiority complex and needs to get over it. Gee, what do the military male pilots say about the female pilots flying the same jets they do? (Though I might not agree with that, it's just the way things are in 2006).

Old 09-08-2006 | 04:49 AM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

A girls bike? God...I hope not. Although when I bought mine the owner's manual did come with coupons for discount estrogen hormones, a lady Bic shaver and coupon for 50% genital transfiguration operations down in Mexico. Hmmmmm....

Ha, Ha. My humble opinion on the matter is below. Take what you like, leave the rest.

Yeah, some women are buying them because, as others have said, the balance and seat height. Same reason I bought mine, too. Well, actually I love the look of it and the others balance and ride also help!

I ride mine every chance I get and love it. I don't really care if women also own the same model. Can't tell you how many compliments I get on it from men, women, black white etc. At no time did I hear (nor would I care) "Hey nice bike.....but isn't that kinda girly?". The comments people made or questions asked were about how old it was and if it was a restored bike from the 40s/50s. (did my heart a lot of good). Had an old man say it reminded him of his Old 48 Indian Chief. But mostly people just said "nice bike". The point is I think it is a nice bike, the compliments from others is just icing on the cake.

I think having too much information about something might actually be bad. When I first got it and knew nothing about what others say and stereotypes etc, I was the happiest guy on the planet. Chrome shining in the sun, two toned paint and rides great. What could be wrong? I start reading about all the things I could have bought, others impression of the choice I made etc. Starts a guy thinking. (not a good idea in my case). Just chuck it all and be happy with what you have is my opinion.

I had considered trading for a RK in a couple years only for the extra room while touring, which my wife and I plan to do a lot of. Now, I hear they might be old man bikes? I'll be 50 i eight years, maybe I should wait till then. Is that old enough though!?

I would say just get the bike you like.

Arthur

Old 09-08-2006 | 05:46 AM
Greybeardrider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: txfxstrider

ORIGINAL: the general

WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM. A DELUXE is a Harley davidson. It dos,ent say boys or girls model and it dos,ent come in pink. I see girls on every other model as well as deluxes and no one is calling a fat boy a sissy bike. The delux has style that harley davidson is famous for and i am insulted by such a statment .I am an x marine and have never had any one call me a girl or question my manhood so think about what a dum statment that is . You should buy the bike you like and that fits you not the the model that you think other people think is the right one .I,m 5'6 and love my bike . YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT?

I didn't know there were ex-marines, just FORMER Marines. Semper Fi.

[sm=exactly.gif] I never heard any Marine refer to himself as an "ex" Marine.

Chill out General, we like to joke around on this forum,..OK?

Old 09-08-2006 | 08:02 AM
the general
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry my jar head must have come unscrewd. I,l try not to get my panties in a bunch next time.

Old 09-08-2006 | 08:12 AM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it depends on where you live. I have seen a fair amount of women on the deluxe. Around here though, the Dyna lowrider is a pretty popular ladies bike. I must admit, I have only seen one man on a deluxe. In all fairness though, I really dont see many of them as a general rule. I think I can identify 3 that I have ridden with, 2 lady riders and 1 man. They are a cool looking bike.....I like the nostalgic look.

nogood o~`o

Old 09-08-2006 | 08:48 AM
marcus84
Road Captain

Who cares! Ride what you like and what you pay for and if anyone has a problem with it tell them to fark off. I ride an 883 Low, the "epitome" of a girl's bike and I love it. I want a Road King next and people tell me that's an old man's bike but do I care? No! I live for myself.

Old 09-08-2006 | 09:32 AM
fordpartsguy
Road Warrior

shoot i'm 43 and ride a geezerglide. does that say anything about me? HELL NO!!!

Old 09-08-2006 | 11:00 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is not!

Sure is fun to ride though.[sm=biker.gif]

FYI I'm not a chick!

Old 09-08-2006 | 01:00 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really like the deluxe but when I sat on it, it was just too small. I'm 31 with a Road King. Guess I bette get ready to retire.

Old 09-08-2006 | 01:07 PM
800XC SP
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with ride what you like...as far as them being "chick bikes" you can thank the dealers for that. I was looking around at the local dealer getting some Idea's on what bike would be good for my wife to upgrade to from her sporty. The salesman asks if he can help and I say I'm just looking around, course he doesn't walk away, asks again what in particular I'm looking for and said just trying to get some idea's on a replacement for my wife but NOT by any means ready to buy. First thing out his mouth then is " did you see the 3 deluxes by the front door? They made those for ladies you know, low seat height, etc."

Quick Reply: Is the Deluxe a girls touring bike???...INCOMING!!!!!