General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoka Hey 2011 discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:47 AM
chickiehd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoka Hey 2011 discussion

I took a bit of flack when i posted this over in IA's thread about his HHC experienice. I agree it was the wrong place (didnt read the thread first). I was sent a link to that page and his post announcing 2011, and wanted to get these questions out there, so i responded. it was suggested i start a new thread for this topic, and i agree, i should have. I will delete my posts in IA's story thread, as they dont belong there. And my apologies to him for the unintentional hijack.

I dont want to turn this into some hot n heavy flame war. just stating my opinions, based on a lot of input from many sources, several first hand.

I realize what i'm posting may anger some -- please know i'm NOT AT ALL against the riders who participated in the HHC 2010. I'm just asking those who want to ride in 2011 ASK and EXPECT rational, legitimate answers to the following questions prior to soliciting sponsors and paying their $1000 to register.
------------

>>I'd love to do it again but only if I can get some sponsorships this time. If any of you know of anyone that might be interested in sponsoring me get me some contact info.<<

Just a couple words of warning to anyone considering this:

1) Ask, and demand an answer to this question, before you send in your $1000:
"if the 'Challenge' is cancelled because California/San Diego refuses to allow a 'race' to start out of their state/city, will the HHC refund entry fees, or will this be considered part of the "Force Majeure" clause and no refunds provided?"

[note... as of this time, the Calif Highway Dept and Att Gen is considering this issue; UNOFFICIAL rumor is they wont allow it. so beware of this, prior to seeking sponsors or paying your entry fee] (note: despite what HHC claims in their Terms and Conditions... most any legal authority[state] will view 1000+ riders trying to be the first finisher to collect a million dollars as a "race" and not a "challenge")

2) will there be a limit on number of riders? most experienced and well run endurance challenges limit the number of riders to the 200 range; a million dollar prize would need 1000 just to fund the prize, and much more for it to cover expenses and provide a profit to the organizers. How can a handful of individuals, without a board to oversee it, manage this number of riders as safely as possible given such a run, and run it effectively? This may be addressed on their website once it’s up and running.

3) is the prize money secured at this time, or is it dependent on getting enough riders signed up? and if not enough sign up, will refunds be issued? (the answer to that question for 2010 was no. sponsors need to know this before committing funds, as should the riders themselves).

4)
HHC has announced 2 divisions... a HD division, and an 'anything else' division. Theywill be running separately, starting at two different times, and not competing against each other (per the Terms and Conditions that was emailed with the Announcement-- the email from HHC was forwarded in full to me).
BUT there is a ONE MILLION DOLLAR PRIZE.
Who gets it?!? are there TWO million dollar prizes??
will the ONE Million be split between the two division first place finishers?

5) Jim Durham announced in Homer that a new owner would be running 2011; this person has now decided to not be involved with HHC 2011 (documented via personal email). he had plans to organize the 2011 Challenge with a full board in place, pulling in experienced LD riders to provide input and suggestions to improve on the management and organization of the event. For whatever reason, he is out of the picture for 2011, and it is back in Beth and Jim's hands. Just something else participants need to know. And may or may not want to wonder 'why' about.

Just some common sense questions that should be asked. And if answers arent given, the question should be asked, "why not"?

If you are comfortable with whatever answers are given, then go for it. I'm sure i'll be blasted for posting this. so be it. Just saying, be informed. Dont let the Million Dollar Prize blind you.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:05 AM
chickiehd
Banned

by the way, i'm an HD rider myself. Along with my cyber-moto-forum (a well-respected motorcycle forum with thousands of members that's been around for many years and goes out of it's way to avoid flaming and denigrating bike choices or riding styles), we have followed HHC 2010 for over a year now, and has discussed it and posed questions to the Durhams since August 2009, receiving either no answers, or conflicting answers, or accusations. Initially, the questions were asked as a few of our riders considered participating; the unspecific and/or lack of responses caused many eyebrows to raise (there are some chronic Long Distance riders over there), and they began to voice the suspicions they were having.

since then, i've gotten to know (cyberlly, not personally) a couple of the key players (not the Durhams, but others who know/talked/interacted with them on HHC 2010 in some fashion). Some still support them, some never did, some did and do no longer.

that's my history with this. i'm wasnt a rider, i just have an ear to the ground, and some things i hear are worrisome. Yes, the prize money was paid, so it would seem to have legitimitized the event. but it's a huge expense to participate in a ride like this, of money, time and energy. all i wanted to do was put the questions out there. If the Durhams can answer them without stepping all over themselves as happened in 2010, then more power to them and the HHC 2011.

Last edited by chickiehd; 08-31-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:13 AM
chickiehd
Banned

posted to me on the other thread ---

chickie:

read this (entire) thread, as well as other HH stories, particularly the interview with the winner, and you will realize that the riders were a very special group, Sharp, financially in a good position, as well as heavily experienced bikers. Your comments are just plain silly.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...ak-report.html

http://quickthrottle.com/hokahey2010realstory.html

believe me, i've read everything. there were several inconsistencies in that 'rest of story' article, but you'd have had to be following the full story to know it.

i'm not trying to influence your decision. just saying, do your homework first.
you're all adults, you can do whatever you please. i'd make sure Calif is gonna allow it first though.

Last edited by chickiehd; 08-31-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:43 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I ran it, had no problems other than the challenge part as it was an actual challenge, pretty much delivered on what they said they would, except charities, which I give seperately anyway. Will do it again in 2011. I like Jim and Beth, nice people. This aint a HOG ride so if you have any doubts about your abilities think twice, if you are sure of your abilities still think twice.

chickie you seem to be somewhat of a chicken-little dick, I might be wrong but I am guessing that I am not in this case

Last edited by masterblaster; 08-31-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:48 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What people do with their time and money is their own affair.

If/how/why someone registers for the Hoka Hey 2011 is up to them.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:53 AM
chickiehd
Banned

lol... never been called a chicken-little dick before.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:59 AM
chickiehd
Banned

yes, you're right. it IS up to each person. and i wish everyone well who enters

all i'm saying, make sure San Diego CA is gonna let it happen before you go investing money in your ride... that's not being chicken little, it's knowing what various state highway patrols have said on the record and not knowing as yet what CA decision will be (or when they'll make it).

if that doesnt matter to you, then ride on. hoka hey. and all that goes with it. and i wish you well.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:01 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chickiehd
yes, you're right. it IS up to each person. and i wish everyone well who enters
Then what do you care? What's any of this to you?

Give it a rest.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:06 PM
UltraPoppy
Cruiser

Should be fun going into Mexico. I would suggest all the participates invest in a good bullet proof vest to wear. Or going into Mexico may be all they do. They may not come out riding there bike.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:08 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

The Hoka Key will soon be a thing of the past. More and more states will shut it down. Organizers should have kept it private.

There's an annual race in my area that's been going on for 16 years. It draws about 30 riders and costs $250 to enter (by invitation only). The race is about 100 to 150 miles. The destination is not disclosed until moments before the race starts. The top 3 finishers earn money. Last year the race started in downtown Chicago and ended in Madison, WI.

Quick Reply: Hoka Hey 2011 discussion