General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoka Hey 2011 discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:34 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

Originally Posted by wericha
When it has the real potential to negatively impact things I do, I get involved. And I will certainly do my best to expose the fraudulent aspects of this organization.

As to the rest of your post.....so much for honor and integrity.

Cheers.
When did I say I have either of those qualities? Don't assume anything it only serves to make you appear ignorant. Just how did this impact the "things you do" if I may ask?

Old 08-31-2010, 04:04 PM
wericha
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
When did I say I have either of those qualities? Don't assume anything it only serves to make you appear ignorant. Just how did this impact the "things you do" if I may ask?
I do a lot of long distance riding and participate in long distance rallies. Badly run events give more fuel to folks that are looking for every excuse to legislate motorcycles out of existence. Shortly after the start of this, newspaper editorials were posted complaining about the event and it's impact on local neighborhoods. Like it or not, it doesn't take much of that for some over-zealous council person to start writing ordinances to ban such events. In fact, many states already have those in place. While you claim all the states were notified and agreeable to the race passing through, I can tell you that isn't the case. In fact most states, including Florida, have statutes prohibiting both races and rides of endurance. Either way you slice or dice it, this could not have been endorsed. At best, the states chose to not enforce the statute.

Several years ago there was a rally in Texas known as "The Waltz Across Texas" that was organized to benefit Shriner's Hospital for Children. I'm not clear of the specific details, but as a result of some incident during a running of the rally a legislator decided the event posed a danger to the general public. A statute with wording that mirrored the Florida statute was adopted, and the rally has been abandoned. Nothing happens in a vacuum.

I do not intend for any of this to be directed as a personal affront, and I apologize for making it personal. The fault lies with the organizer, not the participants. The organizers lied, plain and simple. I know folks that rode in this because they thought it was intended to assist veteran charities, and they feel cheated. As a veteran, you served our country. I honor that sacrifice. And I don't appreciate anyone using that sacrifice as a means to con money out of folks. If Durham wants to run another one, he needs to grow a set and be honest about what he's doing.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:10 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Another Chicken-little Dick. Careful the sky is falling go hide somewhere. Take your whiney *** elswhere, like your stupid little pussified LDRIDERS forum. TROLL

I have to call BS on the Fla statement, I checked with the State AG in Fla, they have no issues with the HHC and the FHP was notified.

I do a lot of long distance riding and participate in long distance rallies. Badly run events give more fuel to folks that are looking for every excuse to legislate motorcycles out of existence. Shortly after the start of this, newspaper editorials were posted complaining about the event and it's impact on local neighborhoods. Like it or not, it doesn't take much of that for some over-zealous council person to start writing ordinances to ban such events. In fact, many states already have those in place. While you claim all the states were notified and agreeable to the race passing through, I can tell you that isn't the case. In fact most states, including Florida, have statutes prohibiting both races and rides of endurance. Either way you slice or dice it, this could not have been endorsed. At best, the states chose to not enforce the statute.

Several years ago there was a rally in Texas known as "The Waltz Across Texas" that was organized to benefit Shriner's Hospital for Children. I'm not clear of the specific details, but as a result of some incident during a running of the rally a legislator decided the event posed a danger to the general public. A statute with wording that mirrored the Florida statute was adopted, and the rally has been abandoned. Nothing happens in a vacuum.

I do not intend for any of this to be directed as a personal affront, and I apologize for making it personal. The fault lies with the organizer, not the participants. The organizers lied, plain and simple. I know folks that rode in this because they thought it was intended to assist veteran charities, and they feel cheated. As a veteran, you served our country. I honor that sacrifice. And I don't appreciate anyone using that sacrifice as a means to con money out of folks. If Durham wants to run another one, he needs to grow a set and be honest about what he's doing.

Last edited by masterblaster; 08-31-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:24 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

I know folks that rode in this because they thought it was intended to assist veteran charities, and they feel cheated

my question for you is......Do they feel cheated enough to sell back their Challenge coin and recoup their entry fee? If not I don't really think that statement has any merit.

/

Old 08-31-2010, 04:28 PM
wericha
Banned

Originally Posted by IronAss
my question for you is......Do they feel cheated enough to sell back their Challenge coin and recoup their entry fee? If not I don't really think that statement has any merit.

/
I'll have to ask them, I don't know.

So what about the public denial of this event by at least one of the advertised charities?

Old 08-31-2010, 04:31 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

TROLL, like you said earlier you hold the organizers responsible, why dont you contact them, hell they publish their address, you could even go visit them to discuss. Been there, its a nice ride.

So what about the public denial of this event by at least one of the advertised charities?

Old 08-31-2010, 04:43 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

I think that is a disgrace. Do I think it will be cause for any state to abolish the Challenge? No I don't.

I'll tell you the truth....I don't think it is any worse than when the Red Cross took the $1,500.00 I sent them in 2001 along with hundreds of thousands of other donors money and used it for a new phone system in their headquarters instead of going to the victims and their families as we were led to believe it would.

I'm thinking you didn't raise a fuss about that though because you probably weren't part of any thing that the Red Cross was in a sense emulating and taking away from your feeling of superiority as the Hoka Hey has done with many so called "long distance riders".

Now I'm assuming but I'll bet my assumption is not incorrect.

EDIT: The event I referred to in 2001 was the attack on the World Trade Center and Pentagon.

Last edited by IronAss; 08-31-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:02 PM
chickiehd
Banned

@ Masterblast:

re The million dollars... I was basing my comment on what Durham said on the Sturgis stage -- the 2011 ride would have a one million dollars prize, and HARLEY DAVIDSON's ONLY. He has now, per the terms and conditions, opened it up to other makes, by using 2 divisions. I havent read (as yet) how the One Million Dollar prize will be awarded. My ASSUMPTION was it would be a lump sum payment to the first finisher, AS WAS DONE in 2010, which would be difficult with two divisions. No matter though. I was simply suggesting riders might want to find out prior to signing up.

as far as the other things you tried to refute?? as in all states were notified?

Here's proof not all were. I'm sure you'll claim they're copied and edited by me, but they arent. You may contact the poeple from SD, FL and AL who sent the emails to confirm what they wrote (yes, Alaska was actually contacted by HHC, so you can see i'm sharing all responses received, not just those who responded in the negative).

I'm not writing out of uninformed ignorance as you suggest.

Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 11:31 AM
To: XXXXXX
Subject: Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your recent email regarding the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. Your interest in traffic safety is commendable. The Florida Highway Patrol has never approved, condoned, or sanctioned this covert event. The Florida Highway Patrol has a mission of creating “A SAFER FLORIDA” and the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge aversely opposes the same. The FHP continues to strictly enforce all of Florida’s traffic laws.

If our office can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to call or write.

Respectfully,

Office of Communications
Florida Highway Patrol
2900 Apalachee Parkway, MS 44
Tallahassee, FL, 32399-0500
Office: 850.617.2301
Fax: 850.617.5108
fhp@flhsmv.gov
www.flhsmv.gov/FHP

From: Terry.Woster@state.sd.us [mailto:Terry.Woster@state.sd.us]
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2010 2:10 PM
To: xxxx
Subject: RE: Question on approval process for road rallys

xxxx -

South Dakota Highway Patrol wasn't contacted regarding this event. Anyone participating in such an event and traveling through South Dakota would have been subject to enforcement of applicable state laws just as every other traveler is subject to those laws.

Terry Woster
SD Department of Public Safety public information

From: Peters, Megan A (DPS) [mailto:megan.peters@alaska.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:21 PM
To: xxxxx
Subject: RE: Question on approval process for road rallys

Ms. xxxxx-

I believe the Department of Transportation and Public Facilities was the go-to agency for this type of event. Essentially, the Department of Public Safety advised the event/racers that EVERYONE participating had to follow state laws, to include traffic laws and posted speed limit, while traversing the roadways in Alaska- which is something every motorist has to do anyhow.

-Mp

--
Megan Peters
PIO, Department of Public Safety
5700 E. Tudor Rd.
Anchorage, AK 99507

907.269.5413 (Desk)
907.351.3137 (Mobile)
megan.peters@alaska.gov

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 05:54:34 -0700
Subject: Re: Hoka Hey 'charity' event
To: xxxxx
CC: xxxxx

XXXX,

You wrote:

I have just a few questions:
Were you ever contacted by HHMC officials? Did you grant approval to be listed as a charity on their website? were any promises of donations made to you, or received?

Answers to your questions follow:

1. Contacted, yes, by a lady named [name deleted for privacy], her email attached in cc line above.

2. I granted them permission to use our name and put our site on their site.

3. They promised a portion of funds raised, and told me that we could expect to receive about $2500.

4. Money received, or any communication from them? NONE on both counts.

Hope this helps,

Please let me know what happens.
Steve Udovich
Warrior Weekend

Quote from upper center of Gold Star Mom’s home page:
“American Gold Star Mothers Inc. is not affiliated with the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge and has not received any donations from them. We have officially requested that our organization’s name be immediately removed from their website.”
http://www.goldstarmoms.com/index.htm

Old 08-31-2010, 05:08 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

So your a RAT also. Hmmmm explains a lot.

Nowhere in the Fla reply does it say they werent informed, they actually had speed traps set up for this event at teh end of the keys on a Sunday, I ride there often on Sunday and never seen them have a speed trap on Sunday in the early morning.

You say your concerned about the image of the so called LD rider community yet you run an d alert the authorities that you are convcerned about public safety,seems to me you are bringing a **** storm down on the whole community. You should be ashamed of yourself you Rat Chicken-little Dick.

Like I posted earlier to your other Rat Chicken-little Dick buddy above you should contact the organizers, hell, take a ride out to visit them their address is published, they ar nice people and am sure they would be happy to discuss this face to face with you. It is a nice ride out there, unless its too far for you.

BTW what did Obama have to say on the subject?

Last edited by masterblaster; 08-31-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:10 PM
chickiehd
Banned

By the way, you mentioned filing suit if i wanted the event stopped?
i could care less if it goes on or stops.

i came in here knowing folks would be excited about participating again, and knowing that there may be a problem with it just NOT HAPPENING (out of Calif anyway)... and was informing eveyrone.

ovboiusly, this forum has a real stick up their butt, and i dont much care if any of you guys get ripped off or not.

so i'm done with the heads up. just wanted to show i'm not blowing smoke out my a$$ cheeks as some are.

supporting the riders is one thing; blindly following where it may not be wise to do so, without asking questions first, is just lunacy.

i really dont care what you say or think of me or call me

have at me 'brothers' -- dont plan on replying anymore tho.

ps... do you always talk to women this way?
check my nickname. how many guys refer to themselves as a chick?
jeez.

Quick Reply: Hoka Hey 2011 discussion