General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me choose. First HD

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010 | 11:12 AM
FatJohn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy the one you like best.

Old 08-31-2010 | 11:22 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 115 Posts

It really depends on a couple of key things:
1) Are you going to ride any distance and need to carry gear
2) Will you be riding solo most of the time
3) Which do you like the look of most

I brought my Fatboy last year and while I love it too bits I'm selling it!

When buying my Fatboy I only thought about point 3 and thought the rest don't matter, how wrong can a guy be. I did a round Florida trip of 1200 miles back in March and although I loved it, I will be the first to agree my Fatboy is not suited to that sort of trip, secondly my wife wants to ride and that is a major issue as my seats too smalll and due to the custom design of the bike changing is not an easy option.

My next trip is up to New Orleans and maps out to 1500 miles, on my Fatboy with the wife and luggage is just not possible so I am now in the process of buying a Road King. I did look at Street Glides very closely but couldn't get round having a fairing.

You saying the RK looks too big, I spoke to a small lady rider on a deluxe and asked her did she have any probs handling a such a large bike, she said no, due to the centre of balance being much better that the sportster she had before, so don't be put off by size, in fact I'm guessing if you took the King for a ride you would be surprised how easy it was to handle

Like I said at the beginning, YOU need to decided what sort of riding you expect to do, don't be like me and learn the hard way!

Old 08-31-2010 | 01:33 PM
wwNightster
Tourer

Originally Posted by HD&CUMMINS
Thanks man. Im about to call HD back or just wait on their call to see what they say. Been approved before so shouldnt be an issue.

The RK is bad ***. I sat on it and its amazing. It is a heavy ***** though. Not sure If I could handle such a beast.

The springer is sweet too. Puttin' around town would be fun. The RK is perfect for trips. Which I may go on, may not. I really dont know. If i were to go Id like to have a bike thats made for it.

I will let you guys know.
It may look big but it is going to handle easier / better than the other two. Don't let the size fool you, that is the easiest to ride bike HD makes and it is deceptively nimble.

My sportster feels down right aggressive compared to a Road King.

Old 08-31-2010 | 01:38 PM
HD&CUMMINS
|
Banned

Originally Posted by wwNightster
It may look big but it is going to handle easier / better than the other two. Don't let the size fool you, that is the easiest to ride bike HD makes and it is deceptively nimble.

My sportster feels down right aggressive compared to a Road King.
Hmm..really? Ill have to really check them out, do some research etc.

I just dont want to buy a bike I think is good and be too much for me.

Old 08-31-2010 | 01:47 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by HD&CUMMINS
...The RK is bad ***. I sat on it and its amazing. It is a heavy ***** though. Not sure If I could handle such a beast.

... The RK is perfect for trips. Which I may go on, may not. I really dont know. If i were to go Id like to have a bike thats made for it.

I will let you guys know.
You'll be able to handle it soon enough. Much better to take short trips on a bike made for long ones than to take long ones on a bike made for short ones.

Old 08-31-2010 | 03:32 PM
1shaka
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default type HD

Really depends on your riding style. I can tell you if there is any riding of any distance go with the RK, I did. The others are okay for short hops but no comparison for the open road. As for the size, over time you get used to it with no problem. I'm only 5'6" and had to have the bike lowered and put longer handlebars on it to ease the reach and save some on the back when riding. It also weighed about 200 pounds more than my previous bike as well.

Old 08-31-2010 | 04:43 PM
mickymoto
Tourer

THe night train might be the best for around town & for long rides, can't imagine taking the springer for a long ride...don't rush in, there's more bikes out there. Take your time!

Old 08-31-2010 | 07:04 PM
HD&CUMMINS
|
Banned

Yeah this is the first time looking to buy a HD in about 7 mths. I looked around but not heavily.

I really like this RK. Well have to see. I really like them all though too.

Not in a rush because my truck sells tomorrow. Guy is flying from Houston-South Carolina to pick it up. Sight unseen. But it is a big ol nice diesel.

Old 08-31-2010 | 07:26 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be perfectly honest with you, I wouldn't take any of them. You can get a big twin 96"
A brand spankin' new bike. The best handling bike. Out performs any stock Harley. Comes with a 2 year warranty. Has a pretty low seat height AND it costs less than any of the bikes you're looking at! Yes, I'm talking about the Dyna Super Glide. You can bar hop. With a quick release shield and bags you can go the distance. just sayin... your money, your bike.

Old 08-31-2010 | 07:34 PM
adamFXD
Intermediate

the king and the train are sweet, i am not a big fan of a springer front end. but that is me not U. You are going to have to choose the one that you want the most, cause if u dont then you are going to wish u had purchassed that on in a month. Believe me I am 28 and i have owned 5 bikes because I never got what i knew that I wanted in the first place, but now i finally have one I love my Deluxe.

Quick Reply: Help me choose. First HD