General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uneasy feeling when riding...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 10:27 PM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Uneasy feeling when riding...

ORIGINAL: 06Heritage

I've noticed sometimes when i'm riding down the highway, i get an uneasy feeling. not dizzy, not really lightheaded, just an uneasy feeling. i dont get this when i'm on my dirt bike, or doing other everyday stuff. is it all in my head ?? has anybody else experienced this ??
motion sickness maybe ? [:-]
Are you riding in heavier traffic? You may be a bit sensitive to the emissions the cars/trucks are throwing out, especially in you're in the middle. Dirt bikes won't experience that issue. Other than that, it's hard to say.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:38 PM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SHEP,
Do you normally wear prescription glasses? If so, do you ride without your glasses?

The main reason I ask that question is, I experience some of the same thing every once in a while and I'm discovering that my eye sight is getting worse and I should be wearing my glasses more than I do.

For a while I thought the old sensation was because of the gas and diesel fumes on the road and was causing my mild headaches. As I mentioned, it turn out to be because I wasn't wearing my glasses.

I was getting the same mild form of motion sickness that made me feel a little different. Just enough to recognize something was different.

If you don't currently wear glasses, maybe you should have your eyes checked out.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Zap
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 06Heritage

I've noticed sometimes when i'm riding down the highway, i get an uneasy feeling. not dizzy, not really lightheaded, just an uneasy feeling. i dont get this when i'm on my dirt bike, or doing other everyday stuff. is it all in my head ?? has anybody else experienced this ??
motion sickness maybe ? [:-]
I don't think I get sick but, I sure as hell get higher than a kite.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How fast are you going when this episode happens?

Does this only happen on one road at that speed or any road.

You could be getting vertigo (sp?). I would check an ENT if thats the case sometimes it can be medically related or sometime Vertigo is from looking at objects going past you at a certian speed and that can put you into a trance like state. VERY UN-SAFE.

I'm not BS'ing or being funny about this.

Pilots of helo's can get it from light from light passing through the rotor blades or just staring at them and they have crashed and killed the entire crews from it.

You have to know when and how it happens and recognise that its taking place and change speed or look at fixed objects vice the dashed lines on the road or picket fences for examples!

Old 09-07-2006, 11:04 PM
outdoorgirl57
Road Master

My bet, as a nurse, would be inner ear or blood pressure related. Have you ever had high or low blood pressure? If you know someone that can monitor it for you for awhile...I'd do that. Inner ear stuff usually takes a whole battery of (fun) tests to diagnose. (Like spinning you in a chair in a chamber with white and black lines, walking on a moving plank...) Had it happen to me a couple times because I have low blood pressure and ride in high heat. I just pulled off and took salt tablets, drank some water and sat for 15 minutes or so to get my blood pressure back up. Don't just ignore it though. Talk it over with your Dr. (who hopefully doen't hate motorcycles!)

Old 09-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Barebackjack
Road Captain

That's classic.
ORIGINAL: George C

Try changing your bong water...

Old 09-07-2006, 11:38 PM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Barebackjack

That's classic.
ORIGINAL: George C

Try changing your bong water...
Yeah, I got a chuckle out of that one too, but thought I'd give a possible serious answer.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:45 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

Be sure you're taking in enough water. Even in cooler weather, I can get lightheaded, dizzy, headaches, etc. if I don't drink enough water. My problem is that water goes right through me so I tend not to drink enough so that I don't have to take bio brakes every 50 miles.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:11 AM
06Heritage
Tourer

My blood pressure has always been normal, ive thought about the water thing ( being dehydrated ). i tend not to drink much water, because i just dont like it.
as far as the inner ear problem... yes that could be a possibilty.
it seems to happen on the more long, stretches of straight road.
Thanks for all the replies hopefully i can figure out what it is , and soon, cause it's really buggin' me [:-]

Old 09-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Biggol
Road Warrior

If I'm riding interstate I have to stop and relax. I'm not a very experienced rider. I don't like going 70-80 right now. I find that if I'm cruising at more than 50 mph I tend to tighten everything up. Like my body is trying to go into "fight or flight" response. I assume this is from the "freedom" or lack of security around you at what seems like break-neck speeds AND the wind ripping at your eyes, ears and struggling to breath a bit harder/faster in the pressure.

If I stay on an interstate or highway stretch for too long, next exit and or red light I hit I feel the anxiety in my stomach like I had an adrennaliene rush.

Again though - most of these feelings are from being a new rider. I don't let them discourage me. I like my bike too much to let it scare me.

Quick Reply: Uneasy feeling when riding...