General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, this motorcycle thing didn't work out too well

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 07:44 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're getting some excellent advice from the previous posters. Keep the bike, buy a cheap lightweight scoot, get a lot of seat time, and in much less than a year you'll wonder how you ever dumped the big bike. You've need to build 'muscle memory' on how a bike handles. Lots of us started out on little bikes....but you've been shoved into the position of suddenly owning the 'big bike', which won't feel so big at all in a very short time. Don't sell the damn thing, or you'll wish you hadn't.

Hang in there!!!

Old 08-30-2010, 07:49 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by phat96
Keep the bike and keep practicing,
My first and only bike was a road king, and I dropped it too. You learn quickly.
My 1st & only is the Road Glide, & i dropped it too ........ can't imagine trading it thereafter
............ if you do, you will kick yourself someday later.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:53 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Some people spend their whole life wanting that bike and you got one for free. Buy a cheap small practice bike, ride it for a few months and sell it this spring for exactly what you just bought it for. Once you learn to ride, this bike will be no challenge.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:55 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i don't really have advice for you, but i feel like crying in the corner of my shower when i think of a guy dropping a mint 2010 RKC twice while practicing turns in a parking lot.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:58 PM
bear68
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best advice I have is sit back and think for a minute. Riding motorcycles is NOT for everyone. If you HONESTLY decide that you will enjoy getting out in the wind, then start considering whether the Road King is the right bike for you. Go to your local Harley, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, BMW, BSA, Triumph, etc. dealers and check out the bikes they have available and see what feels right for you.

DON'T keep trying if you are not ready and willing to put forth the effort and mindset needed to become a safe and experienced rider.

DON'T ride a motorcycle simply because you want the "lifestyle". It's NOT about being a "badass biker" and pretending to be the Sons of Anarchy.

DO ask LOTS of questions and talk to riders. Stay active here and ask questions!
Most of us here LOVE to show off and share what we know or think we know! And we have LOTS of opinions to share as well..... Just ask us!!

Riding a motorcycle can be one of the greatest experiences in your life, but you need to know how to do it safely or it may cost you your life and possibly the life of someone else. Use lots of common sense, training and be ready for some great times!

Old 08-30-2010, 07:58 PM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like others have suggested, keep the RKC no matter what. Either learn to keep the Road King up or buy a small metric beater to bang around on for a few weeks. Within a couple of months you'll be able to ride the RKC with no problem at all and will absolutely kick yourself in the *** if you sell it.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:59 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
i don't really have advice for you, but i feel like crying in the corner of my shower when i think of a guy dropping a mint 2010 RKC twice while practicing turns in a parking lot.
I was going to add something similar, but you beat me to it. This thread makes me sad.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:00 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Even if you keep the RK and learn on something else, you will have get something similar to get a feel for the Harley. I learned soon after I got my Harley (and dumped it a couple times) that they are a different beast from almost everything out there, especially faster sport bikes. You actually have to use (turn) the handle bars to make slow turns. I took my MSF (equivalent) course on a CB750 which can easily lean and track into slower turns w/o giving it much handlebar. You try to lean into a slow turn on a Harley, you will go over. I say keep practicing on the RK, if you still have the desire to ride. You have engine guards on front and rear, so you may go over a few more times, but you won't hurt the bike that badly.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Markus161
So I won a 2010 Road King Classic in a charity raffle, and decided I'd take a MSF class and learn how to ride. I completed the class over the weekend and did fairly well. I took the bike out to a school parking lot tonight and started to get a feel for it. Needless to say, I dropped the bike gently twice, and one time I ended up on the ground after giving it too much throttle when trying to turn right from a complete stop. I also didn't feel very comfortable with the bike in general

Thankfully I'm not hurt, but my pride and ego are damaged. I've come to realize that it is way too much bike for me and will be selling the bike.

Now my question is, I'd still like a cruiser since I'm a bigger guy and not a fan of the sport bikes. Any suggestions or help on something that might suit me better, even if it's not a Harley? Thanks in advance for your help

Never make a huge decision like that in such a short period of time.
You are just bummed about one bad day. Forget about it.

It gets better every time! You might regret a hasty decision.

Originally Posted by babalu
Bwahahaha! It does kinda hurt.

I still vote he goes back out there tomorrow and just go a lil easier with his practice manuvers. Perhaps get a buddy to watch you and see where you slipped up.

Last edited by Faast Ed; 08-30-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:05 PM
shiftharder
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being as you have dropped it twice I`m prepared to make a 10K offer.

Quick Reply: Well, this motorcycle thing didn't work out too well