General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome vs Harley Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chrome vs Harley Chrome

Don't know if this has been covered or considered before but thought I would throw it out anyway. (happens to be just my observation and opnion)

I was in the market for an engine crash bar for my Heritage and talked to the dealer only to discover the HD Chrome Engine Guard was MFG at 209.95. Kinda steep in my opnion so I went to ebay and found this seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ENGIN...item19bf0658ef

I bid the opening bid of $89.00 and at the time no other bidders cared to challange me so I purchased an engine crash bar for $89.00 + 48.00 shipping. Seemed like a good deal to me!

Well, got the engine bar today.. Of course it's not genuine Harley as thought... Seller seems to be a little miss-leading in that area. Another factor is the not-so-perfect chrome job. Yes it's chromed but has some light scratches hear and there. Fit however is perfect. All and all it looks pretty good and I saved myself a few bucks BUT,,BUT,, Harley Chrome is superior and nearly flawless!!!

To sum things up.... Well you get what you pay for. If your willing to over look the slight flaws in chrome you can save yourself some bucks

Just posting for your interest.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:41 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,838 Likes on 2,548 Posts

Not all Harley chrome is flawless. Went thru two pair of rocker box covers before finding the "flawless".

Old 08-30-2010, 06:46 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started buying items other than from the dealership when HD quit making parts in the U.S. The things I've bought have all been high quality at about half Harley's prices. I also believe some of the items are manufactured for HD and sold on Ebay on the side by the manufacturer.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Stubby3492
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Not all Harley chrome is flawless. Went thru two pair of rocker box covers before finding the "flawless".
I agree, my friend has a Vrod and in the sun light on the mufflers, you can see the copper coat right through the chrome.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:15 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Chrome isn't what it used to be, that's for sure. You have to give every part a good looking over no matter what brand.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:51 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

harley chrome is far from Superior , comparing it to ebay goods is not a great way to come up with that conclusion

Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you want good chrome have it chromed yourself i sent my forks and brakes and alot of things to calif, and had them show chromed its five yrs old, and still looks show quality, same parts my friend has pitting from h.d.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:19 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to rain on your parade but, as is the case in most ebay transactions, I think you got hosed a bit on the shipping.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Tommy2tone
6th Gear

Is there a difference between some chrome colored part that you get from HD or custom chrome or whoever, for example rear view mirrors, and parts that are sent out for 'real' chroming? I have a 1992 FLHS and had the lower forks chromed when I bought the bike. I have been through like 5 sets of rear view mirrors and the crash bars are looking kind of ratty on the front face, but those forks are pristine to this day.... Tommy

Old 08-30-2010, 11:23 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

I would agree, you get what you pay for. Most of the time anyway. Harley chrome seems good most of the time. And for sure "Chrome ain't what it used to be". A chromer once told me EPA restrictions is why. I guess they have to use a more environmentally friendly chroming process now.

I bought a Softail pulley cover from Custom Chrome a few years ago. Pulled off the vacuum sealed wrapper and looked at the cover. It looked copper colored. Then I saw the actual chrome was still stuck to the plastic wrapper I peeled off and had tossed in the garbage can. Great quality there!!

There is guy who advertizes around Langhorne PA who would come to your house and get your parts. A few times I offered to drop my parts off at his shop but he insisted on meeting me somewhere to pick them up. Then I found out why, he didn't do any chroming, He just collects parts and takes them to a chromer in Philadelphia AND adds his little middleman fee. Now I deal with a place called DGM Chrome and Powdercoat in Philly. Not cheap but top rate work.

Last edited by BikerV; 08-30-2010 at 11:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Chrome vs Harley Chrome