General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fault Codes P0261, P0263, P1003

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:02 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Read something in American Iron yesterday about starting on the new bikes here is the quote from Chris Maidas article. Hope he doesn't mind. "Did you know there's a sensor in the circuitry that will not allow the spark plugs to fire if the battery voltage, as you crank the electric starter, drops below 12 volts? The battery may indicate over 12 volts with no load on it, and the starter motor may even spin the engine over just fine, but if the voltage drops to 11.9 volts or less when you are cranking the starter, the ECM will not fire the plugs." Another case for keeping an eye on your battery. If it is suspect maybe a load test is in order.

The following users liked this post:
Stratattack (12-14-2020)
Old 02-27-2011, 10:03 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by vet767
Ok. I'm gonna throw this out and I am sure more than one will tell me I am full of ****, but here goes. Started for TX in Aug on my 08 RKC like 8000 miles on it. About 160 miles out, middle of noplace I get the check engine and battery light. Ok I turn around and head toward a big city where I can possibly find a dealer. About the time I get there the lights go off so I figure I will go home, figure this **** out and try again. About 50 miles down the road, lights come on again, figger I will try and make it home. Ok get home, battery is damn near dead and the codes are, "lo battery, such and such ignition circuit overcharge all kinds of happy horse ****." Put the bike up and the charger on. Clear the codes. Long story short, pulled every connector I could find. Cleaned put the anti corrosion crap on them, SSDD. Bike had to go in anyway, the next week so when I dropped it off I asked the dealer to check it out. They found nothing wrong w/ the charging system so they call MOCO and are told to pull and clean the ECM connector. 4000 miles later, still no problem. What the hell the ecm has to do w/ the charging system is beyond me, but maybe you guys could try that? Can't hurt
__________________________________________________ _______

2 yrs ago when I started having a miss for several days then on the 3day of missing out, mine dies right in front of my INDY's shop...

the first 2 things he did was tighten the two bolts on the battery, yeppers they were not tight.. Then he unpluged the ECM,, waited a minute then plug it back in ......

Hasn't missed a lick since then...

He said like computer connections,, the ECM needs that sometimes to clean all the pins in there...

Last edited by oct1949; 02-27-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:50 AM
QehQeh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resolution

Originally Posted by vet767
Read something in American Iron yesterday about starting on the new bikes here is the quote from Chris Maidas article. Hope he doesn't mind. "Did you know there's a sensor in the circuitry that will not allow the spark plugs to fire if the battery voltage, as you crank the electric starter, drops below 12 volts? The battery may indicate over 12 volts with no load on it, and the starter motor may even spin the engine over just fine, but if the voltage drops to 11.9 volts or less when you are cranking the starter, the ECM will not fire the plugs." Another case for keeping an eye on your battery. If it is suspect maybe a load test is in order.
Problem resolved - cause is questionable. As stated in the American Iron article, my battery was reading less than 12 volts when the problem started. After changing the battery, the problem remained. Replaced system and starter relays, rode around for half an hour and parked it at the local dealer (just to be safe) and let it sit and cool off. Bike would not start again. Dealer replaced fuel pump relay, and cleaned off the crank position sensor. Bike has run fine for the last 3,000 miles.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:57 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to hear that. Ride Safe

Old 07-23-2012, 09:51 PM
woodymaster
5th Gear

my 011 ltd touring will set engine light on solid about 2min after i turn key on running or not,also my cruise doesnot work?

Old 05-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Dannyau65
Stage III

Originally Posted by QehQeh
I originally posted this in the “Electrical/Ignition” section but it seems not a lot of people hang out there…

I washed my bike yesterday and when I tried to start it, the engine turned over a few seconds but wouldn't fire. I tried it again and it fired and threw these codes in this order.

P0261 Front Injector Open/Low EFI
P0263 Rear Injector Open/Low EFI
P1003 System relay Contacts Open EFI

I've got the service manual and the parts m

anual... now I have to go out and buy the Electrical Manual??!!!

In the mean time, could anyone tell me what could cause these faults?

BTW, I cleared the codes and they haven't come back.

Thanks much.
Did you ever work out what the problem was, as I'm having the same thing happen to my 2007

Old 08-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dannyau65
Did you ever work out what the problem was, as I'm having the same thing happen to my 2007
Forgive me for bumping an old thread, but I figured that anyone else searching these codes might want to know what fixed the issue for me.

I had the exact same codes on an '07 Sporty and replacing the system relay fixed the problem immediately.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:20 PM
coldaccord
6th Gear

From what I've read, as those relays are susceptible to moisture, they are often the problem. Some people even stock spares. I diagnosed that this wasn't the problem with my bike by jumping the relay for the fuel pump.

For a period of 8 or so months HD used a different fuel pump that was prone to problems. The o-ring at the fuel pressure regulator didn't fit snugly, causing low fuel pressure.

There is a kit available for $24 from HD, my local dealer had one in stock and it took care of my problem. I found the info on this forum, but added it to a thread incase it helped others find it easier:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...l#post11953361

Old 10-16-2015, 09:58 PM
harleigh
Stage I
Default Po261, po263, p1003

Had the same issues. First it only happened every once in a while. The bike would die while riding or wouldn't start. Eventually it would fire right up and be OK. Then it got to the point of not starting at all. I noticed that there was no sound from the fuel pump when turning on the run switch. Found this forum thread and decided to try the cheap route first. Talked with the local Harley service department and got the generic "We can't really tell you anything without checking the bike out, bring it in" I decided to try the $8 relay located on the right side under the side cover. I cleared the codes, installed the new relay, turned on the ignition, and hit the run switch. Fuel pump came on and it fired right up. Glad I found this forum and hope this helps others!

Old 10-13-2019, 12:38 AM
rafa005006
Stage II
Default Harley Dyna 09 FXD Electrical

P0131 - Oxygen Sensor Low/Engine Lean (front)
P0261 - Fuel Injector Low/Open (front)
P0263 - Rear Injector Open/Low
P0562 - ECM voltage low
P1003 - System relay contacts open

These are the latest codes that I've pulled on my FDX 09 with the vance and Hines code reader.
I have had trouble with my battery draining, loss of power at high speeds, and bike won't start.
I have already replaced the system relay, starting relay and main fuse. Along with a new lithium ion battery from Harley Davidson.

I think I've gone over all the cheap fixes anyone maybe have a similar issue and find the fix thank you in advance!

Quick Reply: Fault Codes P0261, P0263, P1003