General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrong Gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 02:59 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

No harm at all. Just run through the gears to a little higher rpm with moderated throttle. Use 5th on the highway unless you are over 70 mph. The bike has knock sensors and the ecm will cut the spark advance back a little. Light knocking on occasions will not harm the engine. Heavy knocking for a long period will.

In a short time at 1/2 tank fill up with 93 and you won't need to worry any more.

I run all my bikes on 89 octane from day one without trouble or knocking. But, I must qualify that I don't put wot on the bike at any time. Well most of the time.

I use 89 because in this area it is the cheapest. The pumps around here are 89,91 and 93. I have 8K on the 2010 with the cats still in it and stock tunes. Fully loaded touring and at elevations or sea level, I have never experienced knocking.

Last edited by lh4x4; 08-30-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:04 PM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As said run some out and put some premium in. I have had to buy 87 in a pinch. Thats all they had in Jerkwater lol. I try to run Premium. I can afford the 5.5 gallons. Around here 93 octane is common. I like to switch back between Sunoco and Shell. I noticed while traveling thru SW Texas that the octanes were lowwer than most other places. Wonder why?

Old 08-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Krutch
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pumped two gallons of diesil in my 5 gal tank. It ran. Not too good. But I didn't have to put up with skeeters for a while. I ran it about 55 miles and then topped it off with prem. Back to where I diesiled it and premed it again. It eventually got burned out. It did no harn to the bike. Just my embarresment.
Why diesil? Well.....she looked so good bent over filling her car when I grabbed the pump handle. I guess I need blinders.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:06 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Think Aviation Gas if you want to live a little on the wild side just once .....

I'd have to push mine with cheap gas , at 11-1 comp. ratio 91 is minimum . She does ok with 91 , 87 knocks not pings . We have a couple stations that sell racing gas 96 to 102 octane in 5 gal. cans . Can be pricey but a 50/50 mix of pump prem. & 98 oct. really wakes the old girl up , the 100+ stuff is a belt breaker if your not careful but the motor gets hot fast .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 08-30-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Romark
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BB4xl
As said run some out and put some premium in. I have had to buy 87 in a pinch. Thats all they had in Jerkwater lol. I try to run Premium. I can afford the 5.5 gallons. Around here 93 octane is common. I like to switch back between Sunoco and Shell. I noticed while traveling thru SW Texas that the octanes were lowwer than most other places. Wonder why?
We're just not as amped up on high octane around these parts.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:22 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

i've been running 87 octane in my 85 for 25 years. the motor has never been apart. just run it out and refill with what ever you want. you're not going to kill it.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:29 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man its ok cheeze get over it there are guys who run 87 for years, chill out

Old 08-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Krutch
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When 'good gas' was removed from the market, some people around here went to the airport and ran aviation fuels. There were a lot of engines trashed that way. I think they used it straight. I think the ones with trashed out engines most likely had other issues than just the gas. I ran 103 raceing fuel in my shovel without any problem. To run that high of octane an engine must be in good condition. No air leaks, ratio correct, and not have piston slap or such. In my opinion.
Diesil isn't good for them either. So don't be like me. Pay attention to the pump you are getting fuel from, not the babe bent over at the next island!!!
Or at least wait till the show is over before pumping!!

Old 08-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What do we have here? A bunch of Minimart kids? Higher oct at the pump will not increase milage or performance. It is only there to reduce predetination/spark knock or what ever you guys want to call it. If it is hammering then quit lugging the motor and give it some rpms before you shift.

I have run all types of fuel and I get the best milage and better preformance running 87 oct.

Oh by the way, if you are filling at a pump that only has one hose for all grades of fuel, then you are more then likely getting a few gallons of what ever the person that used the pump before you used.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

I have been burning 87 in my 09 Ultra for the last two years, 30,000 miles. No pings whatsoever. The ECM will compensate and alter accordingly. What you are having is the new Harley Hebbie Jebbies. Relax and ride.

Quick Reply: Wrong Gas