General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Beads

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by farmerstu
they need to be vibrated in. an engraving tool against the valve stem will keep them flowing. I used a air powered gasket scraper buzzing against the stem. took about 3 or 4 min to put in 2 1/2 oz. .i'm still in test mode with them but after 4000 or so miles so far so good. also I didn't use dyna bead brand . I used counteract balancing beads I got form my tire wholesaler. they appear to be the same and four 3oz. packets were 12 bucks. should be available any place that does truck tires.

I realize if the tire is already mounted the vibrating method would probably be faster. But, if someone is mounting a new tire it is way easier to put the beads in prior to popping it on the rim. I have done this for several tires now and it works very well.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:56 AM
turn8a
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badbagger
POINTER:

I need to order more today, anyone know of any promo codes in effect?
I ordered 1.5mm zirconium silicate beads from www.foxindustries.com for about $7.00 a lb shipped . I did not see them on their web site but if you call them you can place an order.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,858 Likes on 3,505 Posts
Default silica beads

Originally Posted by turn8a
I ordered 1.5mm zirconium silicate beads from www.foxindustries.com for about $7.00 a lb shipped . I did not see them on their web site but if you call them you can place an order.
Very interesting??? Is this the same size as Dyna Beads and same material? 1.5MM seems bigger that the DB which from what i can find are .86-.96 mm...Curious though. I wonder if 1.5 mm would work?

Last edited by Notgrownup; 11-27-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:24 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,858 Likes on 3,505 Posts
Default insertion

Originally Posted by cyclonecutting
I realize if the tire is already mounted the vibrating method would probably be faster. But, if someone is mounting a new tire it is way easier to put the beads in prior to popping it on the rim. I have done this for several tires now and it works very well.
This is the easiest way although some don't like to do this because they may get stuck in the Lube slosh some mounters use very liberally. I have seen this comment before ...don't think it would though.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:39 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Man this thread took off. Been on vacation and missed all of this. I do love my Dyna Beads, but their valve that came with the kit don't have a strong enough spring. As the front tire would heat up the pressure would force the valve open and let the air out. I put the stock valves in and it was good to go. And damn it looks better without weights. Also from what I've read is that as your tires wear they get unbalanced, so Dyna Beads prevent you from rebalancing no matter what king of tire you put them in.

Just be careful with the because I spoke to someone that did this and the Dyna Beads stuck to the lube used for the tire install. For those of you with mags I'd wait till the lube is dry and install the beads with the tire mounted.

For tubed wheels air up the tire to open the tubes and have the valve angled at about a 45 degree angle from the ground and they go right in.

I've also been thinking about putting these in my camper tires and enclosed trailer tires since they sit a lot and I'm thinking it may keep it smooth. At least till the flat spots round out.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:18 AM
turn8a
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Very interesting??? Is this the same size as Dyna Beads and same material? 1.5MM seems bigger that the DB which from what i can find are .86-.96 mm...Curious though. I wonder if 1.5 mm would work?
This is where I got the info. I bought 5 lbs and I have them in 4 tires now no problems . Scroll down to post #20 and read post #40 http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...ght=dyna+beads

Last edited by turn8a; 11-27-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
This is the easiest way although some don't like to do this because they may get stuck in the Lube slosh some mounters use very liberally. I have seen this comment before ...don't think it would though.
You make a good point about the lube. I mount my own tires and use dish soap cut with water to lube the tire, it only take enough to wet the bead. I have seen some shops use the Murphy tire soap and you would think they were preparing to mount a tractor tire with the amount they put on.

Last edited by Roadie09; 11-27-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:29 AM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry , my WG has tubes. in tubless truck tires we use 4 bags and throw the whole bag in the tire(they break open in use)as per instructions,