General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant..HD group ride, Michigan I96/I69, today

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 04:07 PM
bubba455
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rant..HD group ride, Michigan I96/I69, today

Sorry but I need to get this off my chest. Hope the group leader of this ride finds this thread. I suspect this group leader is from Lansing or Flint MI.

Today I was out most of the day on a ride from Brighton, MI to Grand Rapids, MI. Nice day. Nice 200 + mile ride, all freeway.

On the way back, I come up to a line of traffic that is about 1/2 mile long on I96 heading East. The line of traffic quickly continues to form behind me for at least a mile. The traffic becomes bumper to bumper as far as I can see behind me, probably well over a mile.

I eventually got to the top of a higher elevation where I can see the source of the traffic jamb....not a Toyota Prius or a Smart car or a cop, but a group of 30 or so Harley ridders hogging the fast lane and holding up the pace of traffic for at least a 45 mile streatch.

This was very inconsiderate and dangerous for the group of cars and bikes behind them. The people in the cars behind this group were getting angry, impatient, and road rage was building. Cars were trying to pass on the right, cutting each other off, etc. The situation was very tense and dangerous for the folks following behind this group of bikes.

The group finally pulled off on I69 in Lansing to head towards Flint. I passed under the overpass at the same time they were passing overhead. They were all fellow Harley riders.

I pass on this rant so that other group leaders can read this and perhaps be more aware of what is going on behind them. While it is a lot of fun to ride as a group. You need to be aware of the danger you create by holding up the normal pace of traffic. You do not own the road. If you see an unreasonable line of traffic building behind your group, please pull over into the slow lane or pull into a rest area to allow people to pass. The rage you create behind you is dangerous and adds to the hatred many people have for motorcycles.

As a group leader you need to have respect for your group as well as other motorists on the road around you.

Now I feel better.........

Last edited by bubba455; 08-29-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:07 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it possible the group of bikes were never given a chance to get back over to the right because everyone was in such a hurry?

Old 08-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Group rides. I did that once out in the desert on my dirt bike. The group would ride about a mile or so and stop and then ride another mile or so and stop. The third time they did that my part of the group ride ended. Don't need groups that don't know how to ride especially when it involves other vehicles.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:12 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

It could have been similar to the annual Ride For Troops we had here this weekend. The ride is in tight formation with the intention of keeping other vehicles from disrupting the procession. Sort of like a funeral procession. Don't judge without all the facts.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

Just one of many reasons I don't do large group rides.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:17 PM
pibpd905
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have seen this kind of thing here in Northern Ohio, a group that is either in no real hurry to get to where they are going, or maybe riding at a slower well managed speed to accomodate all levels of riding skill. I have heard different theories on if it is safer to ride in the passing (fast lane) or outside lane.

The one thing that I have seen way too many times is a group of 5, 6, 7, ect. bikes together in the outside lane, when whoever is leading the group moves into the fast lane to pass slower traffic the whole group starts to move over, and it seem that they do so without looking to see if the lane is clear for them to merge over. Saw this today on S.R. 2 near Sandusky, Ohio, the last two bike almost changed lanes into an SUV, it didn't appear that these two rider even looked or saw the SUV (which wasn't speeding, it was just moving along in the passing lane), it looked like they just started to change lanes because the rest of the group did. The SUV hit his brakes and the horn, which then almost caused these two bike to collide together as then swerved back into the slow lane.

Hwoever is leading a group, LEAD THE GROUP...accept that responsibility

Old 08-29-2010, 06:25 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by wilburz
Is it possible the group of bikes were never given a chance to get back over to the right because everyone was in such a hurry?
That only happens if no one know WTF they are doing in a pack.

Two bikes take the slow lane and pace with the rear two bike of the pack. Make room form the pack and your done. Its really not rocket science.

This is why I wont ride in packs anymore. When I did we knew what was going on. Had a road captain that preplanned the route.

I'll stick with solo. Of my one buddy who knows how to ride.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:31 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it is hard to understand why any body would ride in a group...nothing but problems.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:40 PM
bubba455
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand the possibility of a special event but this covered many miles between many different cities. Doubtful that a special event would have traveled in the fast lane and traveled for such a long time. Never witnessed a funeral procession using the fast lane on a heavily used freeway..

Also, I do not believe they were unable to move over to the slow lane. If stuck in this position, the last person in the formation generally moves over to make room for the group ahead to move over. This group held up traffic over the course of at least 45 miles. There was lots of time to make a move to the slow lane or into a rest stop to allow traffic to go by.

Bottom line, the situation is very unsafe on such a busy freeway. Too many impatient vacationers coming home from the weekend. I really cannot think of any reasonable cause that would justify holding back traffic for such a long period. Just not a good practice for group leaders whatever the cause.

Last edited by bubba455; 08-29-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Seems pretty simple: if a group is not going to keep up with the flow of traffic, then stay in the slow lane. Absolutely no excuse for that on a multi lane Interstate.

Quick Reply: Rant..HD group ride, Michigan I96/I69, today