General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant..HD group ride, Michigan I96/I69, today

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:48 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

To start with 30 bikes in a group is too many. The group should have been broken up in smaller groups. A little common sense goes a long way.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:06 PM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gee Bubba, I just traveled that strech of road last week! I too find a string of Harley's holding up traffic a bad idea!
However,How many CONSTRUCTION ZONES did you pass through?
There are at least three!!!
Traffic ( or motorcyclist) that ignore reduce speed zones for construction ALSO **** ME OFF!

Old 08-29-2010, 09:39 PM
bubba455
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True, the construction does contribute to the road rage in this area. Mixing it up with a group of slow bikers, construction zones, and too much traffic is bad combination that becomes very dangerous.

I have been a sales guy for over 30 years and drive all across the midwest for work. I have developed a patience for the crazy people....I just keep away.

Today I was able to view the people that are not as patient. You would not believe the behavior I saw today during this run. People were on the verge of bumping each other to get position on the road. The end result is that no one was going to get around these bikers.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Ricks Ride
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen quite a bit of this around these parts this year. I asked one of the road captains who was participating in a local ride recently about it and he told me that it was their right to ride as a group. It made it ok though because they had flashing red and white lights on some of the bikes. As soon as I asked him about it, he instantly became a victim of prejudice against bikers and became really defensive. It's unfortunate for us as riders that this is the example that some of our own give the public in general. I tried to explain to him that he was actually hurting the cause and not helping it. Needless to say, he didn't consider me a true biker because I didn't believe in trampling everyone else's freedoms to enjoy my own.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:51 PM
bubba455
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to mention a group of bikers controlling traffic flow probably scares the crap out of a lot of people who know nothing about motorcycling other than what they see in old movies. I love my Harley Davidson bikes but I must constantly defend the stereotypes that non-bikers jokingly throw out to me. I suspect that is why I am so mad about the behavior of this biker group today. If it were a Prius holding up traffic I would have forgot about it by now. This is a little more personal to me because I love riding.