Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not getting a spark maybe? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 02:45 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

White can be bad. Tan or burnt looking is ok. Tuner time.

Did the new plugs help?

Old 08-29-2010, 04:32 PM
mcampbell06
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It started right up on first try, the test will be when i take it for a ride later tonight, i'll let you know

Old 08-29-2010, 04:53 PM
mcampbell06
Novice

Any suggestions on a tuner? I'm sure it's just like asking blondes or brunettes, but I figured I'd ask....

Old 08-29-2010, 05:04 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Are the installed plugs the same as the recommended plugs mentioned in the service manual? If not, why? also, have you checked the spark gap?

Old 08-29-2010, 06:47 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,705 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Well, the battery is now four model years old, check all the connections if the bike seems to start/crank more slowly when it's hot.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:58 PM
mcampbell06
Novice

The verdict is in. While I didn't mind changing the plugs, it was not the cure. Yes, the plugs were the recommended ones. I rode for about 45 minutes, stopped to get gas and it did the same thing. Tried to turn over, but wouldn't until I gave it a little gas. I am going to contact the previous owner to be sure it was jetted after putting on the rinehart exhaust and the hypercharger air intake.

I will probably replace the battery and plug wires this winter. Possibly take it into the shop too, I just dont want to do it now and waste what is left of this nice rideable weather!

Old 08-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mcampbell06
The verdict is in. While I didn't mind changing the plugs, it was not the cure. Yes, the plugs were the recommended ones. I rode for about 45 minutes, stopped to get gas and it did the same thing. Tried to turn over, but wouldn't until I gave it a little gas. I am going to contact the previous owner to be sure it was jetted after putting on the rinehart exhaust and the hypercharger air intake.

I will probably replace the battery and plug wires this winter. Possibly take it into the shop too, I just dont want to do it now and waste what is left of this nice rideable weather!

Save your money. If the battery cranks it, the battery is good.
Ain't your wires either. If you have lots of money, change everything, if not, take your time and swap parts more related.

It's starting to sound fuel related.
A cold motor requires a much richer mixture than a warm motor. Fires good cold, but not warm. Maybe a slight adjustment is in order here.
Nothing to do with spark. Either way lean or rich, in the zero throttle position, during start up.
Do you have any awkward symptoms during regular riding? Anything?

Last edited by Faast Ed; 08-29-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:03 PM
mcampbell06
Novice

I was kind of leaning toward the fuel also since it will fire, when hot, when I give it gas. I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary while riding, that is why I thought about the jetting option.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:20 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What tuner? The 06 has a carburetor, doesn't it? Maybe your idle is set too low. I'd start really simple; adjust the idle and run a few tanks of fuel treated with Seafoam.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:21 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My carbed TC88B needs to have the throttle cracked by one-quarter to start from hot. It's right in the book. Don't know about EFI's, but you might check if yours is a fuel injected model. Looks like a few things were done with the bike before you got it...probably not correct to begin with.

Quick Reply: Not getting a spark maybe? Help!