General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb help for 95"

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 02:31 PM
justanotherjim
Road Master

Location: kingman AZ. We aren't in hell, but you can see it from here!!!
Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts
Question Carb help for 95"

I did a search before I posted this, and didn't see the right answer.
I had a 95 kit done last winter, the shop guys rejetted and tuned and shook the magic voodoo beads over it and I still get a heavy pinging with any kinda hard acceleration or going up anything more then a mild hill, and really, really crappy MPGs.(almost 10mpgs less!)
The stock carb has been rejetted ( as mentioned), we installed an SE ignition mod, and the shop "cleaned up the heads". 510 cams, etc.
Soooo, my big question is, do I need to go to a bigger carb, and if so which? Yes, very subjective question! oris there some other kind od adjustment to make?
HELP!!!

Old 08-28-2010, 03:22 PM
95custmz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know much about the s&s cams. You might try a milder cam such as an Andrews EV27.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:31 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they install a Dyno-jet kit or a reasonable facsimile? Just throwing in a bigger main jet ain't gonna work on a CV carb. You have to drill out the aluminum plug under the carb body to get to the mixture screw. The float could be out of adjustment too. Needle could be shimmed wrong. A stock carb can be made to work well, but you need someone who's willing to take the time to dial it in. Not too mention the timing could be too far advanced.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:56 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

My 95" WideGlide has 10.25:1 forged pistons, worked heads (ported/polished), and Screamin' Eagle 258 cams. I believe the spec's are a lift of .569 and duration of 258/268.

We didn't even mess with the 'stock carb', just threw it in a parts box and installed a Mikuni HSR42 package. The Mikuni is easy to tune (while on the bike), and it runs like a raped ape at all engine speeds. No problems at all in the cold of the winter or the hot dog days of summer.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:28 PM
justanotherjim
Road Master

Location: kingman AZ. We aren't in hell, but you can see it from here!!!
Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes, a dyno-jet kit was installed....
New question though, does a Screaming Eagle ignition module have more advance than a stock one? Somebody else said the same thing, I have to much advance on my timing.....

Old 08-28-2010, 07:46 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it's a slippery slope, once you start doing performance mods to a harley head work, cams etc... more times than not you end up with a bike with issues.

i re-jetted my carb, better AC, put some new pipes on but that is as far as i go.

as for the carb if you're getting surging take a look to going back to the stock needle and see if it makes it better. sometimes with a carb you gotta take it back to stock and try over one change at a time.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:55 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After doing the 95" kit on my 99 RK I put on a Mikuni HSR42. Didn't have to do anything to it. Jetting was perfect. I figured I would put it on, try it out and re-jet it. But I never had to re-jet it. The bike also has Andrews TW26 gear-drive cams.

Worth noting, I tried EVERYTHING with the stock CV carb to get more power out of it. Nothing helped. Thunder slide, Dyno jet kit. A performance shop "re-formed" the slide and polished the venturi. Finally just switched to the Mikuni, Immediate results.

As far as "bike issues" now, I have none. I have a lot more power, better milage, the engine runs cooler. Idle is smooth. I change my plugs once a year as a maintenance thing but they're never fouled. However, had I stayed with the stock carb, Yes I would have had issues.

Last edited by BikerV; 08-28-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:09 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PineyRider
After doing the 95" kit on my 99 RK I put on a Mikuni HSR42. Didn't have to do anything to it. Jetting was perfect. I figured I would put it on, try it out and re-jet it. But I never had to re-jet it. The bike also has Andrews TW26 gear-drive cams.

Worth noting, I tried EVERYTHING with the stock CV carb to get more power out of it. Nothing helped. Thunder slide, Dyno jet kit. A performance shop "re-formed" the slide and polished the venturi. Finally just switched to the Mikuni, Immediate results.

As far as "bike issues" now, I have none. I have a lot more power, better milage, the engine runs cooler. Idle is smooth. I change my plugs once a year as a maintenance thing but they're never fouled. However, had I stayed with the stock carb, Yes I would have had issues.
If you never messed with it, how do you know its perfect?

Old 08-28-2010, 08:44 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,834 Likes on 2,548 Posts

Had my 02 TC88 kitted with a 95" kit and SE203 cams. The carb was already modded for the air cleaner/exhaust mods. What I did was raise the needle with 2 #4 brass washers and turned the air mix screw out 2 1/2 turns. The stock jets are still in place (45 and 195). Nothing else done to the carb.Its got an odd lope when idling but very responsive. Got 49 mpg with two up on the highway. Did not install the SE ignition.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:47 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

id ck the jetting and then retard timing a few degrees.

Quick Reply: Carb help for 95"