General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight isn't straight

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 04:50 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default headlight isn't straight

I've had my bike since Oct. 05 and don't really ride at night. Tonight I went out for the first time in a very long time after the sun went down. I noticed that the beam of my headlight was focused more to the right. When I parked in my garage and looked at it more closely, the entire headlight assembly is angled to the right. So I took the headlight bulb out of the housing, and don't see any way to adjust this. Is there a way to adjust this, or is this going to be an argument between me and the dealer about a warranty repair?
Thanks.

Todd

Old 09-07-2006, 08:15 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: headlight isn't straight

They will probably grab ahold tightly with both hands and twist. Something you could try yourself.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My spots were off on mine and they did exactly that. Grabbed them and twisted slowly. Not sure on the headlight though.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:38 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

ORIGINAL: veniculum
So I took the headlight bulb out of the housing, and don't see any way to adjust this.
Todd
No adjustment screws?

Old 09-07-2006, 09:48 AM
drichards
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an 07 and you can adjust the headlight via two phillips screws hidden behind the rubber ring that is outside the headlight and inside the chrome ring. I'm not sure about the 06's. Check you manual if you still have it. Thats where I had to find the info when my light was aiming 20ft in front of me after my 1000mi service.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:03 AM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are aimed that way on purpose. Car headlights are aimed the same way too. That is so at night you dont send light directly into the eyes of an on comeing car. They aim them to the right so that the both divers can see when you pass each other. Dont adjust it or you might start blinding other people at night and make a dangerous situation.

Chris

Old 09-07-2006, 12:35 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: sonar_chris

They are aimed that way on purpose. Car headlights are aimed the same way too. That is so at night you dont send light directly into the eyes of an on comeing car. They aim them to the right so that the both divers can see when you pass each other. Dont adjust it or you might start blinding other people at night and make a dangerous situation.

Chris
I could understand this if they engineered it so that the bulb was angled to the right....but the entire housing...doesn't sound right...I've had a couple other bikes and I never saw this. I'm going to go to the dealer and look at all the other bikes now. Somehow I don't think all of them are as extreme as mine. It just doesnt even look right looking at it. I'll let you know what I see.

Todd

Old 09-07-2006, 12:54 PM
grape ape
Tourer

OK Veniculum, I must be missing something here. Am I misunderstanding your problem?? The headlight housing is easily adjusted side to side via the screw underneath it. I had to do mine as well. It was way crooked when I first brought it home.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

WideGlide, right? Headlight mounts onto the tripletree? There should be a bolt underneath the tripletree that secures the headlight mount. That's your horizontal adjustment. Slightly loosen it and GENTLY rotate the headlight into the desired position.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:59 PM
grape ape
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Jezcruzen

WideGlide, right? Headlight mounts onto the tripletree? There should be a bolt underneath the tripletree that secures the headlight mount. That's your horizontal adjustment. Slightly loosen it and GENTLY rotate the headlight into the desired position.
Yeah, what Jezcruzen said. He explained it better than me!

Quick Reply: headlight isn't straight