General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight isn't straight

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 02:29 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: headlight isn't straight

Thanks guys..I'll take a look at that and let you know how it went.

Todd

Old 09-07-2006, 04:51 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior

yeah...I'm an idiot. That was it...just a simple bolt. Now it's straight. Thing is, I didn't realize that the piece that bolts to the triple tree was part of the headlight assembly. I thought it was part of the triple tree. After looking at it, I realized that it, too, was angled to the right.
So thanks for the replies. That was it. Once again, this forum has proven to be worth it's weight in gold.

Todd

Old 09-07-2006, 07:57 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: veniculum

ORIGINAL: sonar_chris

They are aimed that way on purpose. Car headlights are aimed the same way too. That is so at night you dont send light directly into the eyes of an on comeing car. They aim them to the right so that the both divers can see when you pass each other. Dont adjust it or you might start blinding other people at night and make a dangerous situation.

Chris
I could understand this if they engineered it so that the bulb was angled to the right....but the entire housing...doesn't sound right...I've had a couple other bikes and I never saw this. I'm going to go to the dealer and look at all the other bikes now. Somehow I don't think all of them are as extreme as mine. It just doesnt even look right looking at it. I'll let you know what I see.

Todd

If they angled only the bulb to the right the light would still go out in strait from the bike. the housing contains the reflector which is what projects the light out onto the road. if the reflector is strait then angling the bulb really wouldnt do anything.

Chris

Old 09-08-2006, 12:18 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: sonar_chris

If they angled only the bulb to the right the light would still go out in strait from the bike. the housing contains the reflector which is what projects the light out onto the road. if the reflector is strait then angling the bulb really wouldnt do anything.

Chris
I was referring to the bulb and the reflector...which is basically all one part on my bike...at least as far as I can see....of course, I could be wrong. Regardless, I'm not claiming to know what they do out of the factory...nor do I really care. But in my case, the entire headlight assembly (and the bulb and the reflector) was angled to the right. I looked at a bunch of other bikes today while I was at the local dealer, and none of them were like this. It was a simple case of whoever put this together didn't put it on straight. I loosened the bolt, and moved it back straight.

I've owned a number of other bikes, and countless automobiles, and the beams of all of them were always directly in front of me...in other words, the road is and has always been illuminated directly in front of me. Before I adjusted this today, the headlight beam was noticeably aimed off to the side of the road. I don't think that any manufacturer of any vehicle has had the intention of their vehicle's headlight/s lighting the sidewalk instead of the street ...which was basically what was happening in my case. Perhaps I wasn't clear about that.

Todd