General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning a trip thru NM, AZ. Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 03:13 AM
scooterbooter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning a trip thru NM, AZ. Need Help

I'm planning a trip for late October, early November to Phoenix AZ, from Lafayette, LA. My plan is to go from Roswell, NM through some of the mountain passes (like highway 152 from Caballo to Central NM and the Devil's highway 191). We are going to have to do some pretty long days, probably leaving at around 8-9am and riding until about 3-5pm. I'm worried about icy roads in the morning if we leave that early.

If anyone is from that area, is it too cold/icy that time of year to think about doing that.

If not any alternatives would be fabulous. I'm open to any suggestions that will take me from Dallas to Phoenix. From Phoenix we are planning on going to Las Vegas for the weekend. If its too cold this time of year, we can plan a different trip completely, but I have no idea what its like, so guys, clue me in!

Old 09-07-2006, 11:28 AM
SDMF
Road Warrior
Default RE: Planning a trip thru NM, AZ. Need Help

You're in luck scooterbooter...I did a Phoenix to Dallas run 2 years ago in October. I dealt with rain most of the way there and back, but that doesn't mean that it will be the same for you. I took I-10 all the way to El Paso where I picked up I-20 until finally catching I-35 into Dallas and Frisco. My bro from California, who went with me wanted to do the I-40 on the way back into AZ via Flagstaff, but once we saw the weather reports, we got smart and went back the same route.

I guess all I can tell you is keep a close eye on the weather reports to help guide you, and you may want to stick with the dawn to dusk riding due to all the dead animals you're going to see along the way. In other words, I'd rather see them in the light than at 65 mph in the early morning hours. If you're only going as far north as Roswell on the way into Phoenix, I think the October temps won't be too bad. It's definately a great run and I'm planning on doing it again next year.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:36 AM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd recommend a PM to Bill Nourse. He's from New Mexico and does a lot of riding...nice guy too.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:52 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Devil's highway 191
This state route is scenic but VERY curvy. You won't be going faster than 20-25 mph on a lot of it. It takes concentration and you'll get a good work out. It takes you through Alpine which is at 9000 ft so it'll be cooler at the top. Be prepared to take about 3.5 hours to go 100 miles.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:02 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both Ruidoso and Cloudcroft are nice rides and the highway folks do a good job keeping the roads clear but at 8 - 9,000' it is cold that time of year, especially on a bike. Just check out the daytime temperatures before you head over the mountain and remember that 40 degrees is less than 20 on a bike.

If you decide to do the Roswell route, I'd suggest you hit 180 from Fort Worth which will take you into Seminole then up to 380 which will take you into Roswell. Pretty nice ride.

If you decide to avoid the mountains, from Dallas, you can take highway 67 through the western part of Texas to Fort Stockton. From there, you can hit I-10 to El Paso, then up to Las Cruces and Caballo then across to Stafford, AZ.

Either route should be clear and nice riding and you will avoid a lot of interstate riding.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:10 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

The ride you are talking about will probably be okay in mid October. It is going to get iffy after that.

152 from I-40 to Silver City is a mountain highway, and it could be cold, with a possibility of snow in early November. This is a great ride if you like twistie riding.

The Coronado Trail/Devil's Highway/Highway 191 is also a mountain highway and could be cold with snow that time of year. This is 100 miles of curves. Expect to take at least 3 hours if you are used to very technical riding. Longer if you are not. It is one of the best rides in the USA in my opinion. You will go from 9,000 ft. of alpine terrain to high desert in 100 miles.

Coronado Trail

My advise is that if you are at all able to go a little earlier than late October, then do so. You are less likely to have bad weather and have to change your plans, or miss the two great routes you have picked.

Regards,

Bill

Old 09-07-2006, 01:57 PM
scooterbooter
Tourer

Wow, thanks guys, I knew you'd all have the lowdown for me.
Unfortunately we are bound by my husband's work schedule and he doesn't break until the 19th October. I'm thinking we may have to avoid the mountain passes by that time of year, and we'll probably go no farther north than Roswell. I'm thinking of taking route 70 south, along billy the kid trail and through white sands. Hopping on I-10 for a bit then taking the sky island byway north. Route 77 to Globe, then west to Phoenix.
From there we are heading to Las Vegas. On the way back instead of coming back for a second round of twisties, I think we'll try and do a a route 66 tour back.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:39 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From Roswell, you can take highway 70 towards Ruidoso. But, if the weater looks too cold or snowy, you can avoid Ruidoso and go to Carrizozo through Captian. From Carrizozo, head south on 54 to Alamogordo then over to White Sands then into Las Cruses.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:36 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: scooterbooter

Wow, thanks guys, I knew you'd all have the lowdown for me.
Unfortunately we are bound by my husband's work schedule and he doesn't break until the 19th October. I'm thinking we may have to avoid the mountain passes by that time of year, and we'll probably go no farther north than Roswell. I'm thinking of taking route 70 south, along billy the kid trail and through white sands. Hopping on I-10 for a bit then taking the sky island byway north. Route 77 to Globe, then west to Phoenix.
From there we are heading to Las Vegas. On the way back instead of coming back for a second round of twisties, I think we'll try and do a a route 66 tour back.
In AZ on I-10 the worst you should run into is rain or nothing or snowbirds. Oct and Nov can still be pretty warm here (80-90) during the day.