General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI vs a Bachelors degree?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 11:27 AM
xdannyplanbx
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI vs a Bachelors degree?

So I have been doing a lot of research on Motorcycles Mechanics Institute (MMI) at UTI and also earning a Bachelors degree in Applied Science in Motorcycle Service Technology. I have been reading a lot of forum posts about how apparently MMI is a waste of money for what its worth. So maybe steeping it up a notch to the Bachelors degree is what is needed to land a killer job.

Right now I am an E-7 in the Army but my heart is no longer in it, years and years in different countries you know. So its time to have a career change. I will be using my gi bill for this. My ultimate goal would be to work at the Harley Davidson Desert Proving Grounds in Kingman AZ. Any thoughts or words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

By the way, here is some information on the Harley Davidson specific Bachelors degree program.
http://www.pittstate.edu/office/regi...Technology.htm

Old 08-28-2010, 12:19 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard not so nice things about uti from students that went there.

I've heard that mc repair at dealers is not that high paying of a career.

Quickly scaned over the courses at Pittsburgh. Not worth going there because they require you to take too many bull **** courses that will not help you to do your job.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:26 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

I've heard good things about MMI....just as many good things as bad. The main thing is..

"you get out of it what you put into it"

maybe these people saying the course sucked didn't really put 100% into their education.

MMI, I would think, would be alot like university insofar as you're education is all up to you. The instructors give you the tools to learn, it's up to you to use them.

You could get as much or as little out of the course as you want..depending on the effort you put into learning what you need to.

just a thought...

Old 08-28-2010, 12:35 PM
shiftharder
Road Master

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
"you get out of it what you put into it"

maybe these people saying the course sucked didn't really put 100% into their education.

You could get as much or as little out of the course as you want..depending on the effort you put into learning what you need to.

just a thought...
And start your own indy business after a few years.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:55 PM
OUTLAW1969
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There will always be "diehard bikers", and then those that are going through a fad or mid-life crisis, by buying a bike. When the people that are going through a fad or mid-life crisis sell their bikes, there will only be the diehards that work on their own stuff anyway.

Not trying to dissuade you at all, just saying that the money is not great unless you work for yourself, and THAT is very hard these days. I would love to have a shop of my own, but in this economy, NO WAY! I would say get the Bachelors Degree from a real college or university, in a field that will ALWAYS be marketable. The GI Bill is a great resource, use it to your full advantage!

kabluie
Cruiser

I think q Bachelors Degree would take you a lot farther because it would qualify you for a lot more than being a motorcycle mechannic. The field that you want to go into would be an engineering field. If I were in your shoes I would see what the qualifications are for the job you want and go from there. I can nearly garrantee you that you will be looking at "a BA in some engineering engineering field" as one of the qualifications. During the course of studies you will be asked to work in the engineering field during the summer breaks, which is what gives you some experience, before graduating.

You can get a head start by talking to the Harley people about it. They probably want automotive engineers. That would involve getting into structures for design, electrical tech, chemical for fuels, and a host of other things.

In your third year you would take your EIT, Engineer in Training, and then take your professional engineer test in your senior year.

A BA will also qualify you for a butt load of other jobs outside of the motorcycle field.

Good luck with it from a retired E-7

drbald1
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 to "you get out what you put in". Any half-decent program can be good for someone motivated.

Something to think about: many Human Resources departments look for Bachelor's degrees when it comes to advancement.

If two qualified folks apply for a promotion, and the HR dept. doesn't have personal knowledge of them, it's often the degree that gets the bump.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have two good friends that went to MMI. They both have never been in need of a job. One guy is at a dealership, another at a decent independent shop here in Vegas.

I was actually enrolled at MMI after college. As in, I finished a bachelors degree, then was going to go to MMI. I just couldn't swing it financially.

With that said, if I'd had a choice to do both at once, ie; that degree at Pittsburg State, I'd have jumped on it in a heartbeat. So, that's my opinion - the degree at Pittsburg.

And, all those other classes are not bullshit at all. It will help you (and anyone else) with everything in life. I realize that college isn't and shouldn't be for everyone, but I'm a firm believer that if everyone in this country were forced to get that type of education, the world would be a better place.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:03 PM
HBomb74
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Danny,

I wouldn't get out of the Army if I were you. I was in your same situation. I was selected for promotion to SFC at 9 1/2 years. My sequence number was so high I had to wait over a year to get promoted. During that time I got burned out, signed a dec statement, and ETS'd a couple years ago. I now have the job I always wanted, but... I make way less money, I'll probably never get a raise, and am facing possible layoff. Find a duty station to sham for a couple years, recharge, and do your 20. I wish I did. My older brother just retired after 23 years. He gets 5k a month with pension/disability payments. (retired E-9) And is gonna get over 2k a month for BAH through the GI Bill for going to school in California. If you are an E-7, chances are you'll at least retire as an E-8. Can you imagine making that much money while going to school, learning what you love. Then it won't be such a big deal how much less you get paid as a mechanic vs. E-7 or E-8 pay. And you'll still be pretty young. Just food for thought man...

Old 08-28-2010, 01:16 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A college degree trumps a certificate in anything. The current unemployment rate for individuals with a Bachelors degree is around 5.2%. For high school graduates it's 9.7%, and for those with less than a high school diploma it's 14.6%.

As to the job with Harley in Kingman, as someone else said, check their educational requirements for the position you're considering. Odds are it will be a real engineering degree of some sort.

And, as yet another person above said, take full advantage of the GI Bill and get as much education as you can. I'm an ex-Army officer/Vietnam Vet and I used my benefit to finish my undergraduate degree and take some advanced courses. In the end, it paid off big time.

Bottom line: a college degree is almost a must these days, if you want a job of any consequence. And, a degree and a well-rounded education will help if you eventually want to start your own business.

As someone once told me, there's always room at the top. It's only at the bottom that it's crowded.

Quick Reply: MMI vs a Bachelors degree?