General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI vs a Bachelors degree?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:03 PM
wideroad
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get a mechanical engineering degree and then apply to employers in the motorcycle industry. I'm using the GI bill with that exact plan right now, 1yr to go so hopefully it works as planned. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:22 PM
dv102
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnT
A college degree trumps a certificate in anything. The current unemployment rate for individuals with a Bachelors degree is around 5.2%. For high school graduates it's 9.7%, and for those with less than a high school diploma it's 14.6%..
And all those brains with the college degrees came up with the lame brained ideas that put the economy in the crapper. The degree may pay and get you jobs easier but when they pass out degrees for jobs that should be more of a trade there lies a problem. IT killed the auto industry as well as Cat, John Deere, Case, etc. An education is good but hands on is where you really learn.

With the economy the way it is I'd stay in the service it's almost the only job that is immune from the way the economy is.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:59 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

I went to UTI, and also support the explanation "you get out what you put in". If you plan on studying, paying attention, and taking an active role in learning, you'll do great and what you learn will help you down the road. There were people I went to school with that would skip classes, leave early, fall asleep, etc. No wonder they barely passed or had to re-course. UTI/MMI is different than other schools because the policies are strictly enforced like a job:

Class runs M-F, 6 hrs a day with one 30 minute lunch and two 15 minute breaks.

All haircuts must be 2" or less, no spikes or non-natural colors
All students must be in uniform while on campus
All students must have ID badge visible while on campus
All students must wear black or brown oil resistant work shoes
All shirts must be tucked in while on campus
No facial piercings and no dangling ear rings
No jeans or shorts allowed, must be work pants in black or blue
No tears or holes in any clothing
Only jacket allowed on campus during cold weather is the UTI jacket.
If you miss more than 9 hrs in a 3 week period, you attendance fail. Being even 1 minute late counts for 1/4 hr.
You get 1 free retake, after that each course is $1500
in order to graduate you must have a 90% attendance rate or better

The way UTI was set up is a combination of hands on lab training and classroom study via discussion and powerpoint lecture. Each particular course was 3 weeks in length. At the end of the 3 week period, there was a lab endcourse (final) and a written endcourse, along with any other tests or labwork that was handed in.

If it sounds strict, it is because its how the real world is. No on-campus housing, you're responsible for uniforms, food, books, etc.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:07 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FIRST thanks for your service, what i would do if your goal is to to to h.d and tell them what it is you are striving for and get there imput, but gut feeling is i woulden`t waste my gi bill on a mech school, knothing wrong with being a mech but as someone said they aren`t the best paid

Old 08-28-2010, 09:11 PM
GrimmRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OUTLAW1969
There will always be "diehard bikers", and then those that are going through a fad or mid-life crisis, by buying a bike. When the people that are going through a fad or mid-life crisis sell their bikes, there will only be the diehards that work on their own stuff anyway.

Not trying to dissuade you at all, just saying that the money is not great unless you work for yourself, and THAT is very hard these days. I would love to have a shop of my own, but in this economy, NO WAY! I would say get the Bachelors Degree from a real college or university, in a field that will ALWAYS be marketable. The GI Bill is a great resource, use it to your full advantage!
Nicely put. This is buy far your best answer to a life changing question.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:19 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a bachelors trumps technical schooling... at 33 i'm going back to school once my wife is finished. in my field i don't really need a bachelors but i want it. go for the bachelors.