General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI vs a Bachelors degree?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you've made it that far in the military, there's really no good reason to dump it. Stay the course.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:49 PM
retNavydog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Hbomb74. You should reconsider your idea of getting out of the Army. I retired from the Navy in 2005. I wanted E-7, but they were only rating one per year nationally. I would have hit high-year-tenure in four more months anyway, so I put in my papers at 20 years. I took a civil service job with the dept of the Army right after and took a paycut of about $10k a year as compared to my military pay. A third of your active duty pay is tax free. That saves you lots of money, not to mention after you retire, you do not get dental or medical for free, unless you have some sort of disability. Dental is only covered at 100% disability. Eye type treatment is not covered and you have to pay for any life insurance, where as you have your SGLI to count on in case of your demise. You get 30 days paid vacation with all major holidays off. Dude, that retirement pension can increase to 75% after 27 years. Stay in. The economy is not stable enough to be out in the civilian world now. Right now, you are guaranteed a job. Out here in the civilian world, people are struggling to stay afloat. Don't give up a good thing. Get your education while you are in, then if you have a degree by the time you retire, let your wife use your GI BIll.

I got into the Voc Rehab program after I retired and lost my job with the Civil Service due to the BRAC, and the government is paying for my degree at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, plus paying me to go to school. You can do the same....after your retire. Rethink your strategy in life. You have a good thing going for you. Good luck!

Old 08-28-2010, 02:18 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

a BA will always hold more ground than a cert. get the BA, you will not regret it. i have worked in education for over 5 years now, have my MBA in busn mangt, your GI bill and what is avail is insane for you! If you are worried about time look at some online programs, i have worked in mngt for colorado tech online for years now and the stuff they offer students in the military is amazing!

Old 08-28-2010, 02:33 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are BA degrees and there are BA degrees. Just the way there are motorcycles and there are motorcycles.

Not against BA degrees. Though life has shown me that the Pittsburgh BA degree will not prepare him better then MMI to be a mc mechanic.

Just the way a BA degree in engineering from MIT is impressive a BA from Pittsburgh is not. That degree there is not an engineering degree, not impressive. He will not be an engineer.

It's just a program to get you to go to school there and pay for 4 years instead of 1 or 2 years tuition.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:48 PM
xdannyplanbx
Novice

Originally Posted by HBomb74
Danny,

I wouldn't get out of the Army if I were you. I was in your same situation. I was selected for promotion to SFC at 9 1/2 years. My sequence number was so high I had to wait over a year to get promoted. During that time I got burned out, signed a dec statement, and ETS'd a couple years ago. I now have the job I always wanted, but... I make way less money, I'll probably never get a raise, and am facing possible layoff. Find a duty station to sham for a couple years, recharge, and do your 20. I wish I did. My older brother just retired after 23 years. He gets 5k a month with pension/disability payments. (retired E-9) And is gonna get over 2k a month for BAH through the GI Bill for going to school in California. If you are an E-7, chances are you'll at least retire as an E-8. Can you imagine making that much money while going to school, learning what you love. Then it won't be such a big deal how much less you get paid as a mechanic vs. E-7 or E-8 pay. And you'll still be pretty young. Just food for thought man...
Thanks man. I think this makes the most sense. Its just hard to continue a job if your heart is not in it. Especially the army. Plus, I have only been in the army for 7 years. This is my blessing and my curse. I havent been in the army that long, and I'm now a victim of my own success. I'm going to try to get a sham instillation. 7 years at 3rd Infantry takes its tool. But I bet I can knock out a lot of stuff online before i retire and then get the degree. Maybe in motorcycles, maybe in engineering. Thank you for the words of advise. And that goes for everyone. Rock of the Marne! (thats just for you HBomb)

Old 08-28-2010, 05:42 PM
bloodfarts
Novice

Originally Posted by xdannyplanbx
So I have been doing a lot of research on Motorcycles Mechanics Institute (MMI) at UTI and also earning a Bachelors degree in Applied Science in Motorcycle Service Technology. I have been reading a lot of forum posts about how apparently MMI is a waste of money for what its worth. So maybe steeping it up a notch to the Bachelors degree is what is needed to land a killer job.

Right now I am an E-7 in the Army but my heart is no longer in it, years and years in different countries you know. So its time to have a career change. I will be using my gi bill for this. My ultimate goal would be to work at the Harley Davidson Desert Proving Grounds in Kingman AZ. Any thoughts or words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

By the way, here is some information on the Harley Davidson specific Bachelors degree program.
http://www.pittstate.edu/office/regi...Technology.htm
take a look on indeed about the proving ground, there is a reason they are looking for a new mechanic every month. Its an ad posted by modern something cant remember cough solution cough. They have a high turn over for a reason. You can also lookup harley on job vent. I would think long and hard before you make a decision. I was warned before I went to work as a tech best thing I did was leave, Ive been a happy person every since

Old 08-28-2010, 06:03 PM
bigalv63
Tourer

My experience in life is like many of the aforementioned posts.....get the Bachelor's degree from a real college...it will never hurt you and supervisors, business leaders almost always promote the people with the education credentials...at least they are the ones that get their foot in the door....and like others said no matter what ...it is up to you..just work hard and most times it pays off.....IMHO....bigal v

Old 08-28-2010, 06:54 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I was drafted in 1967 A year in country came out went to school on the GI bill came out a mechanical engineer had lots of great paying jobs till 1988 than said fu#k it went back to the mid west and started an after market harley shop didn't make alot of $'s but had a great time and really loved what I was doing BUT there was no pension Oh what the F%ck ! It's a life plan no way of knowing what's down the road I knew that the army wasn't my plan so I moved on Go through life saying " what if what if " go with what you want to do now

Old 08-28-2010, 07:03 PM
50cal
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Bottom line...stay active duty as long as you can. Not too much out here. It ain't the same. Retired E-7 here. Attended MMI (Phoenix) upon retiring. Graduated with honors. Gi Bill helped me get by. It's an expensive school, but, had a heck of a good time and learned a lot. I went with the goal in mind of wrenching on my own bikes (2 crotch rockets and a HD Fat Bob). Do all my own work. If it requires a "special tool" I try to buy it or make it. I also had the 7 year itch and got out. Was out for 2 years...missed it everyday. Got a call one day from my former Squadron asking me to come back in...jumped at the chance. Been retired for 17 years...MISS IT EVERYDAY. But, love riding and working on my and friends bikes. MMI helped make that possible.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:49 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

I know 4 younger guys did the MMI route 1 had a job working on bikes about 8 months , went into trucking . 1 other a dealer put the kid at the parts counter so his nephews and son could be the techs . Get a real degree in something that will get you a job and give you chance at a family life . Wrenching on bikes will become a hobby anyway if you've got any skills at all .

Quick Reply: MMI vs a Bachelors degree?