General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad vibes 95 wide glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:34 PM
rough rider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad vibes 95 wide glide

ok....so i just bought a 1995 wide glide. had a 150 mile ride home. by the time i got back my hands / feet were numb. changed the fron mount . it seemed to make a little differance but at 30 to 40 mph it will burr your vision and chatter your teeth. very uncomfortable . ive owned 2 springer softails 99/05 and aside from a little buzz at highway speeds ....ive never experienced this. its really a drag. the top mount isnt broken . the rear one "seems" to be fine. guess the only way to know for sure is to pull it and look at it. motor mounts seem to be the big topic with these rubber mounted motors. ive always liked the looks of the wide glides....but im almost regreting buying the bike. any ideas on anything else that may be a vibe problem.???

Old 08-27-2010, 01:36 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It's an EVO and it'll buzz a bit. It's not counterbalanced like your 05 was. Kuryakyn Iso pegs and grips made mine a lot better.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Panthers65
Tourer

remember the 95 WG is a rubber mounted engine. It's going to shake pretty rough at idle. However the fact that yours is shaking at 30-40 leads me to believe something is wrong. My WG is a 95 too and as soon as I brake 5-10 MPH this bike is as smooth as can be. Hope you figure it out, I'd definitely check the engine mounts. The mounts typically deteriorate when oil gets on them, but it's typically only a problem with the front.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:30 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

mine is a '94 and it does not vibrate like that. sure the engine does but the chassis and bars don't. my mirrors are crystal clear at most any speed. sounds like you have an issue somewhere like maybe the engine/trans contacting the frame somehow.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:46 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Bike make any unusable noise ? if so at what speeds ? What kind of mileage she have ? Shot primary chain & sprockets will give big time buzz . Belt or chain rear ? Have to ask seen them converted , worn chain & sprockets = BUZZ . Badly worn belt sprockets will add some vibration but shouldn't be that bad . Only thing left is tire balance or motor going whack and you would hear that coming

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 08-27-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Weakened Warrior
Tourer

I've seen a few different products to improve stability and reduce vibration. Here's a link to one:

http://www.vridetv.com/superbrace.html

I've seen some that have a hydraulic-like shock mounted to the frame and supposed to minimize the vibration.

There seems to be many different products available. Good luck.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:07 PM
rough rider
Advanced

The bike has 38,000 miles on it . rear belt drive. i havent checked the primary chain yet. not any unusuall noises. if your just sitting on the bike and rev the engine up to say 5000 rpm and let off as its idling down about mid way through the idle down it shakes really bad the just bumps and hops around as its idling. changed the plugs. new screaming eagle wires 8.5's . set timing. im wondering if it has a big cam in it and maybe thin head gaskets..(higher compression) thats making it idle like that. when you accelerate and going through the gears its smooth but when you let off or doing low rpm riding itll blurr your vision and rattle your teeth.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:58 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Might be an issue with bad bearings in your clutch pack or in your tranny. look for signs of leaks there & check for play in your tranny output shaft.
put your bike on a lift & lay under it. Turn your rear wheel & watch the belt tracking. Now turn the other way & see if it moves over against the side of the sprocket. Also check for proper belt tension. If it's too loose, you might be getting belt vibration on the bottom of the belt when slowing down.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:30 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Those shake like crazy at an idle that's normal stock a cam will increase it a bit . The smooth ramping up to hi rpm then shaking bad coming down sounds like primary chain is loose or worn out your getting backlash then . Check the comp sprocket while in there , if you can twist the clutch pack & chain back & forth not moving the motor it's shot . Aside from bad rubber mounts there isn't much to cause it , motor or trans problems you have oil leaks as a sign usually . Good luck

Old 08-28-2010, 10:21 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

Maybe the guy you bought it from sold it for this reason,and couldnt figure out what was wrong either,or found out it was costly to put right,hope not.

Quick Reply: bad vibes 95 wide glide