General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall Rider - Used Bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 07:43 PM
ecrotm
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tall Rider - Used Bike

I'm a new member, and I've been lurking, spending my time searching. This topic was answered by many members as far as new or newer bikes are concerned.... Even got fitted to a street bob at my local Harley Dealership...

So my question is, or should I say dilemma.. is investing that much money on a new bike.

The used market for bikes seems pretty good around here NJ and I also have a desire to learn how to work on and modify these bikes...

So.. I'm 6'5, 210lbs with 36" inseam

As far as used bikes, what old models am i looking at, and what older models are you bigger guys riding?

Thanks for all the help, I've gained a lot of valuable information from these forums!

Old 08-26-2010, 09:15 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm not 6'5", but I have short torso and long legs with a 34" inseam. I ride a Road Glide Ultra. The shark nose fairing seems to be comfortable for long legged riders. Before this bike, I had a 2010 Heritage. That was pretty comfortable too. But there are a couple of things you'll need to do to almost any Harley with legs as long as yours. First is you'll probably want forward controls. They'll let you extend your legs and riding with your legs forward is pretty comfortable. If you get a bike with floor boards, you can by extenders from Harley Goodies to move them away from the bike more. That will help with leg room. You may also want to invest in a seat for taller riders. Harley makes a seat called a Tallboy seat for this purpose. There are probably after market seats you can get too.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Kumite
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

6'5" here as well I tried all of the Harley touring bikes and most of the metrics as well. A few fit reasonably well with the best of these being the Road Glide.. After you purchase it or any other bike,.. and aftermarket seat to move you back and up is desirable. Highway pegs on the crash bars also help to move around and reduce the tall persons cramped feeling. (for me I got 4" extended LongHorn pegs which really add comfort and room.

If you go with a straight cruiser, I have been told that the Wide Glide is good for tall folks. No experience here but it may be worth your trying it. Pegs instead of floor boards also let your heals drop and this give additional space as well.

Hope this helps. Good luck in the search.

R. Todd

Old 08-26-2010, 10:09 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

While I don't ride a bagger, you can get f/c extensions to fit your stature. If not available in catalog, any machine shop could fab you up some in short order. too many think the road ends where the catalog leaves off.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:46 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I'm 6'3" 225 and my son is 6'5" and 270. He had a 883R until an old lady in a new Buick turned in front of him. He came out okay the bike didn't make it. He replaced it with Street Bob. Both had mid controls and he likes it that way. He does have forward pegs for highway use. He has 25K on the Dyna and has taken it to Key West and the Arctic Circle.

I have mid controls on the XR1200 and on the Dyna Super Glide.

I don't think that you should have any trouble with the bike that you chose. Don't worry that much. You should do some test rides though.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:54 PM
thebarzeen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'5" and 300+ lbs..... the police bikes are awesome for tall guys because of the taller air seat. Harley does a tallboy seat as well that moves you up and back. I swapped my air ride seat out for a Hammock seat and am pretty comfortable on it. ( 2009 FLHTP) Honestly though, the biggest change I've done for the better was a 2" extended front shift lever, and the Kuryakin brackest that move your floorboards 1" out and 1" forward..... I've only recently traded up to a Harley but I've already done a few 600+ mile days comfortably like that..... don't forget a good set of 2" offset highway pegs too......