Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's fault was it ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 06:40 PM
noname
Club Member
Received 989 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by BCRK
I'm classed as a 'professional' driver, and we're required to get out and check before backing up, no matter what. It may seem like she was alittle too close, but that's why he should have checked, or as stated, kept going until he could turn around. I have to say it was his fault. Condolances to the family.
You're correct to a point. But, this was on a highway it said, so, you get out and look before backing up and nobody else is gonna drive up behind you againb when you get in the truck? We all are responsible for being safe when we drive, or ride. Not just one of us. I'm sorry for her and her friends and family. I'm sorry for the dump truck driver too. Really sad. Noname

Old 08-26-2010, 06:44 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

It's always the biker's fault, because we're the ones who end up dead or injured.:-(

Old 08-26-2010, 06:47 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Truth is the vehicle backing is at fault. Most of the big dump truck drivers around here are real cowboys flying low and hard. Unfortunately even if the truck driver had got out and walked around, by the time he was back in his saddle there would be plenty of time for an unthinking driver to pull up into the blindspot at the rear of a big truck. As others have said, this is just a horrible accident no matter who did what.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:55 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 335 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by noname
We do not have all the facts so asking who's fault it was is missing the point. I drive a truck and you would not believe the stupid things people do around me. This was a construction zone I believe? then there would have been warnings and all kinds of things to alert people that there was work going on. A dump truck does not go fast in reverse, they have back up alarms. I'm thinking this was just an accident that could have been prevented by either or both of these people had they done things a bit different. Very sad. Noname
+1 on this.
Either person could have done things to avoid the accident. Unfortunately it happened the way it did. Prayers go out to those involved and to their loved ones.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:06 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been a truck driver for over 30 years. If you can't see whats behind you get your fat *** out of the cab and LOOK. It's that simple. I can't count the number of times i have jumped down out of the truck to make sure some dumb *** didn't sneak up on me.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:11 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truckers fault. There were many things that could have prevented the accident, but it did happen. It's already been established that the truck moving in reverse, where he didn't have a view directly behind him. Could have been a little kid crossing the street, a pedestrian or bicyclist. The truck driver needed a spotter or circle the block to make the proper driveway.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:06 PM
rentalguy1
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

speaking as a former trucker, roads are for going forward, not backing up. Period. You miss your turn, you make the block or find a place to turn around. You DO NOT back up on the road precisely because of stuff like this. When you are sitting in that cab, you cannot see for about 20 feet behind you, and you cannot hear anything other than the truck, usually. The only time it is acceptable to back up on a road is if you are backing to a loading dock, or unloading construction material. Even then, you shouldn't do it without someone on foot to block traffic.

Truck driver was at fault in this one, and should be charged. He took someone's life.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:13 PM
32vld
Road Master

The rear of a truck is a blind spot because the mirrors can not provide a view.

This is why truck drivers are required to get up off their butt climb down out of the cab and walk around to the rear of the truck to make sure it is clear.

It's also why trucks should avoid backing up when on the road. Backing up to a loading dock is something different.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:16 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain

I work for the state highway dept and in the cab of the trucks on the dash is a sticker, it has a dump truck on it and on the side of the dump is the letters GOAL = Get Out And Look

Old 08-26-2010, 08:30 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,921 Likes on 17,869 Posts

You know what , doesn't matter who's fault it was or wasn't another rider died senselessly and all this armchair quarterbacking is enough to make me sick .

Quick Reply: Who's fault was it ????