Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's fault was it ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 05:07 PM
*Merlin*
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two wrongs don't make it right. I see errors on both sides, but when you bring a motorcycle to a truck fight you loose every time. RIP

Old 08-26-2010, 05:08 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My two thoughts are she must have been really close behind the truck and asleep or a very slow mover not to be able to get out of the way when she heard the alarm for the truck backing up. F*** the bike, I would have jumped off that thing and bolted.

RIP.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Thatzmister2u
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say Truck drivers fault. If he backed into a car backing the WRONG way against traffic and hit them would he be at fault? Of course he would!

Tragic.

E-

Old 08-26-2010, 05:10 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

AIR HORN.....problem avoided

Old 08-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Desertram800
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the driver missed his stop, then he probably stopped quickly, and then backed up quickly. He shouldn't have been backing up on the street anyhow. Not only that, but he should have an audible backup alarm that would have at least let her jump and and jam out of the way. So at the very most I'd say: illegal backing, negligent vehicular manslaughter, loss of CDL, and mabye the company sued for lack of proper safety equipment and lack of proper employee training and management. Just a list of possible charges and actions that I can see.

Especially in a downtown area, it's difficult if not impossible to stay far enough behind to please the safety *****. Lane position to be seen by the driver through his side view mirror is sometimes difficult as well, and who knows, mabye she was in lane position 1, fully viewable by the driver, and he was just in a hurry and negligent? I don't know exactly what happened, but from the story told, the driver is at least at fault for stopping in the middle of the street, and illegal backing.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:20 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i can't say for sure on that.. i didn't name her biker girl because of a screen name...

Old 08-26-2010, 05:28 PM
GrimmRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Such a waste.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:21 PM
BCSG
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm classed as a 'professional' driver, and we're required to get out and check before backing up, no matter what. It may seem like she was alittle too close, but that's why he should have checked, or as stated, kept going until he could turn around. I have to say it was his fault. Condolances to the family.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:29 PM
noname
Club Member
Received 989 Likes on 541 Posts

We do not have all the facts so asking who's fault it was is missing the point. I drive a truck and you would not believe the stupid things people do around me. This was a construction zone I believe? then there would have been warnings and all kinds of things to alert people that there was work going on. A dump truck does not go fast in reverse, they have back up alarms. I'm thinking this was just an accident that could have been prevented by either or both of these people had they done things a bit different. Very sad. Noname

Old 08-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

The truck driver is responsible for operating his vehicle safely at all times. That means ensuring clearance behind the truck when backing up.

Quick Reply: Who's fault was it ????