General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are used bike prices still falling?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010 | 12:35 AM
RBJones
|
Tourer
Default Are used bike prices still falling?

I met a guy last weekend who'd just bought a fully customized 2005 Fat Boy with, get this, 600 miles on it. He paid $12,000. The original owner had bought it, had it completely done over with custom paint, etc., and parked it in his garage apparently as a prop to show his business friends when they came over to his house.

A friend of mine, who has an Ultra Classic with 110 engine and lots of accessories was told by a dealer that he wouldn't get any extra money for the mods or accessories in a trade-in.

Anyone else seeing examples of this deflation occur?

Old 08-26-2010 | 01:15 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

There always seems to be deals out there and there always seems to be bikes that are priced ridiculously high. It'll never change.

Old 08-26-2010 | 02:08 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

It's the same most everywhere. The economy bounced back a tad, but is threatening to do a double dip recession.

Old 08-26-2010 | 03:36 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior

You will get more money for the xtras .... NOT what you paid but you will get more than a same model same year stock ..... Their giving your friend bullshit .... Take a look at bikes for sale in dealers and on the web .... one of the first things they sell is what xtras it has ..... 1 so it's more desireable .... 2 so they can bump the price up .....

Last edited by skulltrainharley; 08-26-2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old 08-26-2010 | 03:53 AM
anickel
Road Captain

I don't think the prices are still falling, however I dout they will be going up any time soon. The used motorcycle market is definately a buyers market, and will be for some time to come.

Old 08-26-2010 | 06:04 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

There isn't much value when you sell your "loaded" bike, to the dealers... however they WILL tout all the extras, when they sell it.
You might recoup more from your extras, if you replace them with your OEM take offs..... if you kept them....
other wise....you'lll get, what the next owner is willing to pay.

Here in Raleigh NC.... the market is packed with loaded, low mile bikes.... of all types. Many owners, are upside down, and owe more that the bike is "worth". Some prices are wildly high... and others are reasonable.
My guess is, the MOCO, made investors "happy" when they bossted production, and sales. Now there is a lot of product on the market, and limited buyers.....A full 180 degree turn around from 10 years ago. No more "waiting lists".

Old 08-26-2010 | 07:04 AM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

I really don't think that used bike prices change very much. When someone is selling a bike it takes time to find someone who wants that exact bike. ie. mods, paint and model. So i think sellers drop the price to unload it quick to get the cash.

Had my 02 pearl white Fatboy for sale for 2 years with not a bite....then a guy calls me one day....drives 200 miles....looks at it and says he will take it.....no bickering on price or even a test ride....he just liked the color and mods. Luckily enough i had money to get my 03 Ultra while i was trying to sell it....was in no hurry for the money.

The old saying holds true..... "it's only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it"

Old 08-26-2010 | 07:14 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member

Most guys I know hold onto their stock parts so when it comes time to trade it in, take off the farkles and put the stock stuff back on. You can either put it on the new ride, or sell it on ebay. Either way you wont get what you paid for it.,,

Old 08-26-2010 | 07:19 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

Around here seems like used prices dropped about 2 years ago but have held around that level. Many people had to sell bikes (or $20,000 statues) for financial reasons, the "biker fad" has slowed, baggers are popular now but many people have left "the scene".
As far as custom bikes and accessories. Depending on the buyer they may add or detract from the price they are willing to pay and dealers will offer very little for them.
So many "custom" bikes out there with the same bolt on chrome.

Old 08-26-2010 | 07:54 AM
simpkinst
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RBJones
I met a guy last weekend who'd just bought a fully customized 2005 Fat Boy with, get this, 600 miles on it. He paid $12,000. The original owner had bought it, had it completely done over with custom paint, etc., and parked it in his garage apparently as a prop to show his business friends when they came over to his house.

A friend of mine, who has an Ultra Classic with 110 engine and lots of accessories was told by a dealer that he wouldn't get any extra money for the mods or accessories in a trade-in.

Anyone else seeing examples of this deflation occur?
12k for a 2005 Softtail is not a great but....Not sure where the great deal is on this. fully customized bikes are actually harder to sell than bone stock. Hard to find someone with your exact tastes.

NADA is between 10 -12K for a 2005 Fatboy. I think the seller did very well.

Quick Reply: Are used bike prices still falling?