General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to adjustment a dry clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010 | 06:09 PM
Adirondacker
|
Intermediate
Default How to adjust a dry-clutch

My new-to-me Shovelhead has a dry clutch. It seems to want to be in gear despite the clutch handle being pulled in.

Can anyone give some tips on where to start looking to adjust this.
The clutch is new installed by previous owner.

I am not a mechanic obviously but fairly good at turning a wrench and lots of desire to learn and tinker.

If you could point me in a direction I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Old 08-25-2010 | 06:46 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

With that info could be a couple of things....cable not adjusted properly, clutch lever not set to proper clearance, clutch pates sticking, clutch push rod not adjusted properly, spring tension not set properly (affects disc), lastly worn clutch hub studs (grooved so plates hang up and do not move smoothly).

Clutch cable should have 1/4" free play before clutch starts to disengage.

Clearance from starter motor to lever should be 1/2"

Clutch push rod should make contact with release bearing, release finger, then back off 1/4 turn and tighten nut.

New clutch is assembled so that the distance from the inner edge of the spring collar to the surface of the outer disc is exactly 1-1/32",

Only way to check the studs is to pull the plates.

Do these adjustments, checks with the engine completely cold (as in sitting all night)

The following users liked this post:
Harley Widow (09-04-2020)
Old 08-25-2010 | 07:00 PM
*Merlin*
Cruiser

Spend the money for an HD shop manual. Best money I ever spent. It does not take long to make a $60 mistake while working on your motorcycle.

Old 08-25-2010 | 07:21 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

Adk!!!!

Old 08-25-2010 | 08:34 PM
Adirondacker
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by panz4ever
With that info could be a couple of things....cable not adjusted properly, clutch lever not set to proper clearance, clutch pates sticking, clutch push rod not adjusted properly, spring tension not set properly (affects disc), lastly worn clutch hub studs (grooved so plates hang up and do not move smoothly).

Clutch cable should have 1/4" free play before clutch starts to disengage.

Clearance from starter motor to lever should be 1/2"

Clutch push rod should make contact with release bearing, release finger, then back off 1/4 turn and tighten nut.

New clutch is assembled so that the distance from the inner edge of the spring collar to the surface of the outer disc is exactly 1-1/32",

Only way to check the studs is to pull the plates.

Do these adjustments, checks with the engine completely cold (as in sitting all night)

Panz,

Thanks for the detailed answer. I really appreciate it.

Old 08-25-2010 | 09:03 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

All of the above is good if it's all stock parts , thing being if it's dry most likely we have aftermarket stuff . Please describe what the clutch looks like if you've had the derby cover off ? Belt drive maybe ? details man we can help you .

Old 08-25-2010 | 09:20 PM
Adirondacker
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by *Merlin*
Spend the money for an HD shop manual. Best money I ever spent. It does not take long to make a $60 mistake while working on your motorcycle.
Merlin,

Done. I just ordered one off ebay.

Rick,

I can't wait to ride it all through the adks.

Old 08-25-2010 | 09:32 PM
Adirondacker
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
All of the above is good if it's all stock parts , thing being if it's dry most likely we have aftermarket stuff . Please describe what the clutch looks like if you've had the derby cover off ? Belt drive maybe ? details man we can help you .
Twizted,

I will get some pics up tomorrow.

When I pull the clutch in, there doesn't seem to be an abnormal amount of play.

Old 08-25-2010 | 10:47 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
thing being if it's dry most likely we have aftermarket stuff .
Isn't the stock clutch that didn't run oil in the primary,but dribbled oil on the chain from the oil pump,and then sucked this clutch laden nasty oil back into the motor called a "dry clutch"? I had one of those, and it would pull the bike pretty hard if you cranked in gear with the clutch pulled in...If you cranked it in neural and then put it in gear, it was a lot better. If (when) you get sick of it, Rivera Primo Pro-Clutch is a bolt in replacement that gets rid if all the headaches...but they are proud of it...have to save your lunch money for a while.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/620-...utm_medium=cse

Old 08-25-2010 | 10:57 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Shovel clutch's are simple to make right from $40 to $230 max depending on owners tastes , let me see what you have & I'll give you options . I have one of those Primo clutchs came with a belt drive system , took the noisy bastard off and it didn't work that well and ate belts . Before the mouths start working in here I've been running belt systems since Karata dropped the first on the market .

Quick Reply: How to adjustment a dry clutch