General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more FINE-C?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:18 PM
nilro
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, and by the way, I'm not trying to flame you. Sure you are a noob. We were all there once. Like I said, I don't wanna **** you off.

I guess I can figure out why people ask all of these (what I consider) dumb questions about oil, gloves, waving, etc but this acronym to remember how to start the bike... This one just keeps making me shake my head. I honestly thought I had heard it all here.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:25 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by nilro
I am not really trying to **** anyone off here, but I just got done reading a thread where someone was ranting about all of the maintenance questions on this board. And now, I just read that some people need a friggin acronym to remember how to start their bike.

All I can say it, "F*cking Eggs, bacon!"

Been riding for 30 years and I've been using the CCLOCKS checklist since I first heard it.
Also more than once I've seen people with a bike that wouldn't start using FINEC as a trouble shooting guide helped identify the problem.
Usually its the Fuel or Engine cut off switch.
I've also seen the ignition turned past run, or bikes that started or lurched forward in gear with the clutch out (been a while for that one).

Old 08-26-2010, 08:17 PM
FatJohn
Cruiser

Here's the thing, I read when you said "back in MSF school" which led me to believe that you took it a while ago. If you had never been on a bike when you went to MSF then that would be a great way (i guess) to teach someone how to start a bike.
It's a great way to remember how to start a bike too. Helps me not make stupid mistakes.

You also said you are picking up your 2008 Fat Bob. You don't know if it has a reserve or not? You don't know if it has a fuel valve? Have you not even ridden it yet?
I did. This afternoon. And I love it!

And yes, I'd ridden it, and several other Dynas, a couple of softails, and an ultraglide or two before picking it out. And no, I didn't know it didn't have a reserve. (But it has a fuel gage! And a warning light!) All of the HD bikes I rode were set up for me to go - I didn't have to consider the fuel valve.

So, I'm good. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by FatJohn; 08-26-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Speeling
Old 08-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
Been riding for 30 years and I've been using the CCLOCKS checklist since I first heard it. Also more than once I've seen people with a bike that wouldn't start using FINEC as a trouble shooting guide helped identify the problem.
Also, to this day, I still use Scan, Identify, Predict, Decide & Execute (SIPDE) when riding (32-years & going). I know the intent isn't to be demeaning, but do we really need to add these negative finale's when responding (i.e. All I can say it, "F*cking Eggs, bacon!")? Come on, we're not in high school anymore - give the guy some advice, or ignore the post.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Mobius570
Intermediate

Originally Posted by piasspj
Been riding for 30 years and I've been using the CCLOCKS checklist since I first heard it.
Also more than once I've seen people with a bike that wouldn't start using FINEC as a trouble shooting guide helped identify the problem.
Usually its the Fuel or Engine cut off switch.
I've also seen the ignition turned past run, or bikes that started or lurched forward in gear with the clutch out (been a while for that one).
I agree that FINE-C is more of a checklist than a procedure. I think they teach that to troubleshoot, twice in our class someone couldn't get the bike to start because they forgot the turn the kill switch to "ON". The instructor reminded them of FINE-C and then it clicked for them that they forgot the kill switch.

I just took the class last week and have never been on a bike before that, so I find those acromyns very helpful. Took my first demo ride this week and found myself going through the FINE-C steps, which is probably a good habit to be in.