Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather,Leather and more leather

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:33 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

There is (was?) a little leather biker gear shop in a flea market in Indianapolis. Bought a USA made, heavy leather jacket there back in 01 for $140.00

I keep thinking about buying a new one, more expensive but every time I pull it out it fits great and wears like iron. I doubt I will ever wear it out.

Moral of my story is try a few local shops.......you might be surprised.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:08 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check out Kerr Leather........... made in the USA; super heavy weight. I've had mine for years; love it.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:14 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

If you are near Portland,OR. You should stop in Langlitz. The visit would answer all of your questions.

Me, Goat skin Cascade and Columbia.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:16 PM
shiftharder
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a HD leather because I wanted the logo - looks good and feels good and really does break the wind - 2 problems - expensive $500.00 and made in China (to HD specs so I`m hoping the quality will last)

I think if I was to do it over I would go local and forget the logo - It bothers me every day I wear it that it was made in China.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:21 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pleather.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:14 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

One word..."LeatherUp" - or is that two? Seriously though, the LeatherUp jackets are amazing. Thick heavy leather with attention to details. Love mine.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:26 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like a traditional motorcycle jacket - the double front, pocket zippers, collar snaps and belt all have useful functions when riding - that's why it's been around for 80+ years. Of those jackets, the Schott Perfecto is my favorite - very heavy duty leather, probably 2-3 times as thick as a Chinese jacket from the HD store. A lot of tradition behind it, USA made, but for about the same price as those chinese jackets.

You can easily get a used one on Ebay for udner $200, and it already looks cool.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:30 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Depends on what style you want. If you want the traditional old biker style with the slant zipper, wide snap down lapels, etc. and made from quality cow hide/steer hide or goat skin and money is not tight, I would probably go with a custom made for me Columbia style from Langlitz. If you favor a cafe racer type style in horse hide then Legendary, Schott, Lost Worlds, Aero, etc. Personally, the best heavy leather I have seen or had on a riding jacket is Vanson competition leather.

Having said all that, the fact is that a decent leather jacket not involved in a major accident or mislaid in a saw mill will last a lifetime. I prefer a heavy leather like Vanson for serious riding but I am sort of a leather jacket junkie and own Langlitz, Vanson, Schott, HD, HD FXRG, and Brooks. Maybe another that I am not recalling right now. All of them will outlast me. None of these jackets have had a problem with leather, lining, snaps, zippers or stitching. Good luck.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:52 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
I am sort of a leather jacket junkie and own Langlitz, Vanson, Schott, HD, HD FXRG, and Brooks. Maybe another that I am not recalling right now.
Yep, same here. I am not a "collector" but I can't pass up a good deal on a leather jacket. I mainly buy Schott (some excelled because I get them for $30-40) and my wife and I have 3 or 4 each. I think it goes back to when I was in 4th grade and watching Happy Days - always wanted a jacket like the Fonz, but couldn't afford it, so now I can. Since I got my first one in Germany (in the Army) when I was 17, I have worn leather jackets, motorcycle or not. Probably had a lot to do with growing up in the punk rock lifestyle - after Brando, the next most famous people to wear the Schott Perfecto were the Ramones, which made it part of the punk rock world as much as the motorcycle world.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:42 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is all about the look and feel. Picked up a gorgeous leather jacket for the wife on sale at Walmart for under $30 bucks as I recall. For colder weather, she likes the expensive, heavy studded HD jacket. Most of the time, I like my vented 3 season mesh jacket better than leather. But, at times leather just feels right. Picking jackets is no different than picking a bike: pay your money and take your choice. You generally get what you pay for. Just remember that your dollar is worth two dollars when you buy an Asian brand. I don't like it, but it doesn't care.

Quick Reply: Leather,Leather and more leather