General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Layed it down

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Krutch
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ain't that edecated!

Old 08-25-2010, 02:55 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyriv
Been ridin' for 58 years...things were tough then..........started in my Mammy's womb as she sat in the sidecar of Papa's old 1934 Beeza Sloper...hit my first patch of gravel when I could barely walk but stayed upright ..and immediately after that papa bought me a Black Shadow with blocks on the footrests and launched me into the world....I've had one, two and three wheel drifts, ridden a tightrope over the gorge on my old Panther 600, relaxed durin' a spin round the wall-of-death, ridden through a hurricane with only flip-flops and a beany hat, took a wrong turn into an autodrome on the way back from the gas station and broke the lap record on my Velo Viper, ridden the firewall whilst eating an icecream on my 1954 Whooler, won the 1958 ISDT on a Rudge Whitworth, rode through the Himalayas on a Scott Squirrel with a bean can replacing one cylinder, rode the TT every year since I was six, jumped a ravine and 27 buses lined end to end on my brother's Sunbeam,.........then I went to highschool and left all this kindergarten stuff behind for some real ridin...........................and in all these years....never laid mi' bike down......

........try tellin' that to the youth of today, and they won't believe ya..

"Evel" reincarnated ????

Old 08-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just teasing ya, Krutch.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:32 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

Dealer has had my bike for over 2 months and still waiting for painted parts. I am just now recovered enough to ride and the thought still scares me. I know I will ride again but not sure I will enjoy it anymore.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:51 PM
TN Back Roads
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first time I went down was in 1966 while in college. Professor's wife made left turn in front of me; her kids screamed and she stopped in the intersection. I very quickly evaluated my options and decided to lay the bike down and slide into her. Bounced of her car and was laying on the ground with a dislocated shoulder and fractured kneecap. She looked at me on the ground and drove off.

Left the hospital with a full cast on my right leg. Went right to work on the bike. Had it operational within a week. Sat on the bike and decided I could rest my cast on the foot peg and just use front brake. Down the road I went. It was easier to ride the bike than drive a car.

In the 70's I rode dirt bikes in the mountains a lot. Was knocked unconscious twice and broke my right foot once. When you are in the middle of a national forest there are no options. You just get up, check bike, find a Bronson rock to make repairs, and ride back to camp.

You need to proceed at a pace you are comfortable with. As was suggested, you might want to stick to local, little traveled roads for a while to regain your confidence and/or take the safety course. Hang in there.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:40 PM
BMF
Cruiser

Totaled our RK in June to a 16 yr old left turner. Wife and I both said we would not ride again. Well...... I ordered a new bike 2 weeks ago. Won't get it till Oct but have been out twice on a friends bike. I was nervous as hell the 1st time but got over it pretty quick. Wife still won't ride but I will give her some time.

I think I will always be a little more nervous but I know I will be much more aware when I ride. Good luck man... Only time will tell

Old 08-25-2010, 10:56 PM
turbostang
Cruiser

I'm facing this too. Went down three weeks ago now, and it finally looks like the ins. co. will total it. I've been looking at new bikes, but there is a nagging voice in the back of my head questioning if it's too soon to be back on a bike. I think the feeling will pass on it's own. Hopefully it'll make me more aware of my surroundings, and for that, I'll be at least a little better rider. Glad to hear you made out ok.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:08 PM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Coast Guard
Received 17,626 Likes on 5,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Giant Mike
Just wondering, Whent down for the first time, now when I ride I am a little freaked out. How long did it take for those of you to feel comfortable after your firt time?
sounds like it won't be your last....what was your last bike?

Old 08-26-2010, 12:17 PM
vtxxxr
Cruiser

Bout a month or so here as well.....still get nervous going past where the wreck was....ride it everyday! I am ALOT more aware as to what is goin on around me though!

Old 08-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Kapture1
Advanced

My one and so far only time was last year while learning wheelies on the sportbike. Once I realized that my foot was not broken, I dusted off and rode home to get cleaned up. I never thought twice riding afterwards, but I'm still gunshy about popin wheelies. The thing is I have no idea what went wrong. One second I was up, the next I was down. If I knew what I did wrong, it would be different.

Quick Reply: Layed it down