General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Layed it down

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 AM
mongoose
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ain't no youth, but I don't believe ya either.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:10 AM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been hit twice and totalled both baggers.

I get on my bike with a certain amount of fear daily. At intersections I cover my brakes and slow down as I keep my head on a swivel there and everywhere while riding.

They are out there to kill you and I ride that way. I still enjoy riding fully but as soon as you let your guard down you will get hit again.

My history helps me keep my focus when riding. it is very easy to fall into a lull and zone out. That is dangerous on any road...whether a busy city street where there are other cars and cell phones or back roads where there are critters and livestock out to git ya.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:10 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts
Default The class

2 sides of taking Kowan's words on a class, because that might help out. First is in my wife's case, after doing all the homework and riding a little and trying to get comfortable enough to get out on the road, she decided that she would simply be happier on the back of the bagger with a camera and no worries. (She also is way better looking than me, that helps me too.) Second and what will hopefully happen in your case GM is that a class like that mentioned is great. I have had a few experienced rider courses and work on a Military base, long story short there was a basic rider course I had not taken that was mandatory training to ride to work. I did so, and it really boosted my comfort level and reassured the fact that although there is still all the other trafic, that I am capable of being out there amongst all the others and stay safe. Hope this helps out. Good luck with the jitters

Old 08-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Blueflame1
Tourer

Its like riding a horse, if ya fall off, get back on and ride.

Examine why you fell off in the first place. Do you need to go throught a rider class or enhance your riding skills.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dropped my bike on a gravel road doing a u-turn too fast. I also nearly dropped my bike when the road went from paved to gravel in a sudden drop out of no where. In addition, I witnessed the my buddy lay it down in an intersection.

With all that, even though nothing was serious, I still find myself taking really slow wide turns once in a while. I just keep thinking I'm going to tip over and don't trust the traction on my tires.

Not sure when I'll get over it.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:07 PM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by harleyriv
Been ridin' for 58 years...things were tough then..........started in my Mammy's womb as she sat in the sidecar of Papa's old 1934 Beeza Sloper...hit my first patch of gravel when I could barely walk but stayed upright ..and immediately after that papa bought me a Black Shadow with blocks on the footrests and launched me into the world....I've had one, two and three wheel drifts, ridden a tightrope over the gorge on my old Panther 600, relaxed durin' a spin round the wall-of-death, ridden through a hurricane with only flip-flops and a beany hat, took a wrong turn into an autodrome on the way back from the gas station and broke the lap record on my Velo Viper, ridden the firewall whilst eating an icecream on my 1954 Whooler, won the 1958 ISDT on a Rudge Whitworth, rode through the Himalayas on a Scott Squirrel with a bean can replacing one cylinder, rode the TT every year since I was six, jumped a ravine and 27 buses lined end to end on my brother's Sunbeam,.........then I went to highschool and left all this kindergarten stuff behind for some real ridin...........................and in all these years....never laid mi' bike down......

........try tellin' that to the youth of today, and they won't believe ya..
Oh my god, that is so effin funny:ic on_crackup:To the OP, I have been down 3 times in my life. Hit some sand in a turn, checked bike over and rode off. Po'd but no jitters. 2nd time layed her down in a parking lot when a big rig was swinging around and he did not see me. No damage, he was all apologetic and I rode off. Third time, t boned a left turner, bike totalled, multiple injuries but not afraid to get back on once healed up. What really gave me the jitters though, and I was gunshy for about a month, was when I hit some oil on a ramp and the bike developed the wobbles. That really made my sphincter tighten up. Don't worry, you'll get over it at your own pace, and put it behind you.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Got my bike back 3.5 months after being hit. First ride was a little spooky. First time through the place where I was hit I was white knuckled. But I made myself go back through there again and again and again and everytime I rode for two months. heebie jeebies gone but let the circumstances duplicate teh night of the wreck and there is some pucker factor. It has made me ride more aware of my circumstances.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:43 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

That's hard to say. I guess it all depends on how hard headed you are and how you accept how it happened. It takes a while, at least it did for me. Just be patient and one day you will feel it leave you. If you are in this thing for life it will pass.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Krutch
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will get over it when you are ready. I've dropped too many times to count. First time I was mad more than hurt. Second time broke collar bone, had to ride it home. Couldn't hardly crank the throttle for that. 84 year old lady (not mad at her anymore) tried to make me hood ornament and trashed my left leg. Doc. saved it though it would have been little work to take it off. Glad he didn't. While I was in hospital made drawing of foot peg and peg leg with spur to shift with in case leg had to come off anyway. Friends at the time didn't think I'd ride again. After lost of toes to diesil locomotive, rode friends bike to his wedding party the day I was released from hospital that time. Broken spokes on friends bike 'threw' me down on interstate with simis ahead, behind, and alongside me at night. One truck run over the handlebars and made them look like a pretzle. Scared the trucker more than me. Had to search fo the bike as it was so dark and the bike was in the medium and the light was obscured by weeds. After liver transplant in 2001, was unsure I could hold up bike. I was down to 115 lbs. and pretty weak. I told my buddy I'd ride my bike around the block to see if I could do it. As soon as I get the bike moving I yelled to him "screw it lets just go". I have always said they'd have to kill me to get off bikes. Nearly done so, but I still ride. Many more falls but not as interesting, anyway they have always been a rush while they happen and none have made me want to quit riding. Ya'd think God is telling me something but I just can't hear.

Last edited by Krutch; 08-25-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn it man! Paragraphs, paragraphs...

Quick Reply: Layed it down