General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took the Toyhauler to a Rally

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 03:51 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

For what it's worth, and not that I particularly feel that I owe anyone an explanation, it's my wife that can't ride long distances. I have over 30K on my '07, so it's not like it gets trailered everywhere. I enjoy long road trips, Sturgis most recently. Next year my wife plans to go along and we will probably trailer.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:56 PM
shiftharder
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRF
I don't get it. Why do you need touring bikes if you're doing your long hauls in an F-150? isn't that precisely what they make touring bikes for?... comfort for long rides?
It`s the nights - lets see - sleep on a rock - pay $100.00+ a night in a motel - or sit by a campfire and crawl into a nice warm bed next to the campfire, Did I mention home cooking and being dry on the rainy days/nights. How about playing cards and having something to do while waiting out the storms.

For me anything longer than a day or two trip would require something like a hauler - but hey, I`m a ***** - what can I say.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:50 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftharder
It`s the nights - lets see - sleep on a rock - pay $100.00+ a night in a motel - or sit by a campfire and crawl into a nice warm bed next to the campfire, Did I mention home cooking and being dry on the rainy days/nights. How about playing cards and having something to do while waiting out the storms.

For me anything longer than a day or two trip would require something like a hauler - but hey, I`m a ***** - what can I say.
my point was the type of bike not whether or not the trailering them makes someone a ***** (it does but that wasn't my point)...... if you are doing the long haul part of the trip in the truck then just cruising around the local area on the bike when you get there then why do you need/want a fully decked out touring bike? wouldnt it be better and cheaper to have a dyna, sporty or even a sloptail for ripping around the local roads than a big ol' lumbering bagger?........

Oh; and as far as cost goes..... a cheap toyhauler is what? $25K? Truck to haul it with is another $25K...... that works out to about 36 years of 2 week holidays in $100 a night hotel rooms (18 years in $200/night rooms if you wanna live large) - and that is without factoring in fuel, insurance, maintenance, repairs etc on the units and don't forget the campground fees which run about $30 a day. I get the appeal of having a mobile home base to travel around with but the cost argument between an RV/Trailer and hotels is totally bogus (unless you are retired I suppose and spending months and months on the road every year....)

Last edited by CRF; 08-26-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:49 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
The tough and short bus comment is a lot of self reflection and some observation of when we do things the hard way for not the smartest reasons. If I wanted to call you dumb---I would call you dumb. You haven't been called dumb.... I think you could be confusing making a point from ego in these post. Maybe I confuse the point and it seems like ego? I just thought of that. Long week of nights.
I have been called dumb many times, I just did not really expect it in a thread like this. I understand what you are saying, maybe some people do dumb things to prove they are tough. I do not think riding long distances is dumb, and I certainly don't do it to feed me ego, honestly I am a little old for that. I ride because I enjoy it, I take road trips because I like the adventure aspect of it. I like things to be a little unpredictable, it makes it fun (to me).

Now, if I can just get my forks back together and back on the bike (I am poor, work on the bike myself ) I plan on strapping my bag and tent on the bike next week and going somewhere. No idea where and really it does not matter. I have 7 days to kill

Old 08-26-2010, 05:51 PM
TerryFXST
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

@CRF,

There's probably no use in trying to make a point on this thread. This thread is an "out and proud" thread for trailer junkies. Might as well let them have their "fun."

Old 08-26-2010, 06:01 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, don't get into RV'ing to save money 'cause you won't. Get into because it is something you enjoy. There is a lot to be said for the joys of RV'ing. I purchased a travel trailer in 1997 and have camped in probably 20 different states since then with my family. Great memories.

Although I have never mixed camping with motorcycling, I totally get the toy hauler thing. Traveling to a nice area of the country and then touring around on the bike before packing up and setting up camp down the road somewhere else.

As far as trailering a touring bike...well, if you are mixing toyhauler trips with regular road trips and can only afford one bike, I can see that.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

OP, good on you for posting about your toy hauler. Sounds like you enjoyed the hell out of it and rode your *** off. Sounds like you accomplished your goal, and then some.

The only beef I would ever have with someone who towed their bike to a rally is if they tried to make everyone think they rode their bike the whole way. A false valor sort of thing. Now that's a POSER.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:38 PM
willw
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really like the idea of a toy hauler. A friend and I talk about them from time to time.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:46 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by CRF
my point was the type of bike not whether or not the trailering them makes someone a ***** (it does but that wasn't my point)....
Dammit! Someone thinks I'm a *****! Crap...what to do?

Originally Posted by CRF
if you are doing the long haul part of the trip in the truck then just cruising around the local area on the bike when you get there then why do you need/want a fully decked out touring bike? wouldnt it be better and cheaper to have a dyna, sporty or even a sloptail for ripping around the local roads than a big ol' lumbering bagger?.....
I had my Ultra for 3 years before buying the toyhauler. I love it and probably will never ride anything other than a touring model again.

Originally Posted by CRF
Oh; and as far as cost goes..... a cheap toyhauler is what? $25K? Truck to haul it with is another $25K.....
Got mine, brand new, for 16K. Don't bother re-doing the math, I don't care.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:00 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I don't get it. Why do you need touring bikes if you're doing your long hauls in an F-150? isn't that precisely what they make touring bikes for?... comfort for long rides?"

How about comfort at night.
How about having a kitchen so you can eat like you are home.
How about nicer to sleep in trailer instead of a tent.
How about not having to share camp ground showers and not have the hot water run out.
How about not having to sleep in a motel where who knows how clean the bedding is.
How about I haven't been able to find a room where I can build a camp fire in it.
How about I can have a home base for extended stays.
How about having a trailer with all the comforts of home on the days the weather is to bad to be outside.

How about that the way people feel your not riding if your not riding whatever it is that they ride.

Same for vacations, road trips, camping, motel staying.

Not one way is the better then any other.

But only way can be the best at making one happy.

Quick Reply: Took the Toyhauler to a Rally