General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took the Toyhauler to a Rally

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,085 Likes on 5,818 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryFXST
I find your post ironic in light of your signature, "If it was easy, little girls would do it."

Converting an 25 year old $500 motorhome into a toyhauler, then actually maintaining and driving the thing,with an antique motorcycle in the back...that I built from frame up...is super easy...all the girls are doing it.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:42 PM
ultralimited2010
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have had our toyhauler for two seasons. We love it. Try dancing on the tailgate of a tent.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:44 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptJIM
Yeah you can go hog wild on these RV's, but you can also get a very nice fifthwheel toy hauler for $25k from RV Wholesalers right there in your home state. That is not bad at all.
OK I am gonna be a brat. I got a super nice tent for $100 and the bungees to attach it to my bike were like $20. Now mind you I think people should ride or trailer what they want where.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:00 AM
Earl IV
Tourer

Tents are fine if the weather is decent, but when it's raining non stop or the temps are extreme, I'll stick to the camper, thanks... no surprise when the weather's bad my pad is a popular place to be, especially if there's a game on.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:15 AM
harley_nova
Tourer

Went to the same Rally and by the end of the weekend, I was wishing I had one. The tents aren't for me especially with no jesus air mattress.
I sure as hell have no beef with people who want to be a little comfortable when they travel.

Hey Bluenoser, it's Rookie!! haha

Old 08-26-2010, 05:26 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftharder
My dream is to retire and sell out, buy a toy hauler and spend a year or two on the road - and yea - the wife said no.

Clearly you need a bigger trailer so the wife isnt so cramped inside it while your on the road.....

Old 08-26-2010, 05:36 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Never looked into or considered toy haulers..... This thread opened my eyes. It would be a toss up for me as I like to ride but high heat or cold man it would be nice to come back to that in the evening to sleep in comfort. I am a cheap bastard though and can't see that happening.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:46 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guess you didn't really read my post here or the post about iron butt rides. Myself putting 75,000 miles on two Harley's in seven years isn't garage art. Don't remember the miles from the other 31 years of riding before that on the different motorcycles. Somehow you missed the remark in my post on this thread about putting my boots on my cot with me to keep them from floating away in the flood. I could have wrote about the rides to the rallies and back home in the rain, sleet, and heat but this is a trailer thread. We didn't trailer the tent. My trailer is a 6x12x6 bought in 2005 that I installed the windows, carpet, a/c, wheel chocks and tie downs in myself. There is nothing rich or swanky about my haulmark but it is dry when it rains and my toilet is clean. Riding your bike to a rally proves nothing to me but the fact you went. I also find riding a motorcycle to a rally is not an unusual or rare event and doesn't prove much. Sometimes hard for me to tell tough from short bus some days. Enjoy your rides and rallies------I enjoy mine if I trailer or if I ride.
Originally Posted by overhead
I am guessing you did not really read the post from people that like to ride places. It is not to prove a point to anyone at all, it is because that is part of the fun (to me) of taking a bike trip. I would not say I am rich, but I certainly could afford a trailer or a toyhauler if that is the way I wanted to go. And even if I could not I would not be jealous of someone that could, they made their choices I made mine. You got me on the proving I am tough part, I do enjoy that, challenging myself is something I get enjoyment out of.

Saying people that actually ride their motorcycles to rallies do so to prove they are tough or they do so because they are poor would be a little like me saying people who trailer their bikes to rallies are rich non-riding chodes who like to play dress up. I do not think either of those characterizations are fair or correct.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:51 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

man, y'all seem to whine about everything. why give a **** about what others choose to do.

The United States of the Offended

Old 08-26-2010, 07:04 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Why is it some people that use trailers feel the need to tell everyone how hardcore they were in the past? Who cares? The same thing happened to me at a couple of rally's. I would walk around talking to people about where they were from or whatever and as soon as they found out I rode out came a their list of how they use to be hardcore or a list of excuses why they did not ride to this particular rally. I never asked them. It reminded me a little of talking to some guys that ride metrics in that they also will tell you why they did not buy a Harley, even if you do not ask. I said from my first post in this thread that I did not care if people put their bikes on a trailer or not. I also do not care how many Iron Butt rides they have done, how many miles they put on their bikes, how many years they have been on a bike or all the wonderful adventure they had in their younger days. Have fun with your trailer/toy hauler, as I said before, where you put your bike is your business.

From this thread it sure does seem riding to a rally is an unusual event. It seems most either have a trailer or want one. Again, that is cool with me.

Was the short bus comment meant to be an insult or a lame attempt at calling me dumb? I will assume not as I cannot believe a Texas guy would resort to insulting another man from behind a keyboard from half a country away.

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Guess you didn't really read my post here or the post about iron butt rides. Myself putting 75,000 miles on two Harley's in seven years isn't garage art. Don't remember the miles from the other 31 years of riding before that on the different motorcycles. Somehow you missed the remark in my post on this thread about putting my boots on my cot with me to keep them from floating away in the flood. I could have wrote about the rides to the rallies and back home in the rain, sleet, and heat but this is a trailer thread. We didn't trailer the tent. My trailer is a 6x12x6 bought in 2005 that I installed the windows, carpet, a/c, wheel chocks and tie downs in myself. There is nothing rich or swanky about my haulmark but it is dry when it rains and my toilet is clean. Riding your bike to a rally proves nothing to me but the fact you went. I also find riding a motorcycle to a rally is not an unusual or rare event and doesn't prove much. Sometimes hard for me to tell tough from short bus some days. Enjoy your rides and rallies------I enjoy mine if I trailer or if I ride.

Quick Reply: Took the Toyhauler to a Rally