General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took the Toyhauler to a Rally

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:23 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no problem with people pulling their bikes in a trailer, I do not care. But something has gone wrong in the world when my neighbor (who just returned from Sturgis with two bikes in a trailer) tells me I am nuts, crazy and almost stupid for riding out there from VA last year. I did not even know what to say, and it was best I kept my mouth shut as he is a nice guy and I do not want to upset him .

Like I said, toy haulers or trailers are fine with me. I prefer to ride places as I see it as a major part of the fun of taking a trip in the first place. It is not always fun to get soaked, beaten up by bugs, rousted by state troopers for sleeping at rest stops.....well OK, I do find all of that fun . Maybe my neighbor is right, I am crazy.

What is fun to me is probably not fun to a lot of folks, good thing we all have options I suppose.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:43 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Mntsnow
not really Rich just comfortable so I guess we are CUBS (Comfortable Urban Bikers) LOL
........ i like that........ i could be a cub ....... comfortable is good !

Old 08-24-2010, 05:59 PM
1968aj
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

last wek ibought a used motorhome. my first trip will be the texas hill country. no more tents or motel rooms for me.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:19 PM
MCHOGG
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I will quit working next year, getting a motorhome and a trailers. Going to see the USA, set up a base camp and travel the area around it, pack up, move and do it all over again for about 2 years.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:25 PM
BlueNoser
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
Did you do any riding?

Did you know that RV people have gatherings? Maybe you would enjoy them too.
Yes, did a lot of riding,
A funny "side effect" of this is that I spend more time riding (at the event) than a lot of the people that rode there. I spend time ridin the backroads while they rest up from their long days on the INTERSTATE...LOL

Actually I love both, I ride to a lot of events and trailer to some,
Just offering an opinion that it's a pretty nice option.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:29 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
Did you do any riding?

Old 08-24-2010, 06:33 PM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ride or trailer, I just don't get what the controversy is. Buy what you want, ride what you want and trailer if you want. It's your money and your time. It's none of my business. Have some fun anyway you can.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:33 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Camping in a toyhauler along with the motorcycles, the wife and good friends...Some of the best times I've had.

Attached Thumbnails Took the Toyhauler to a Rally-ww1.jpg  

Last edited by rdam; 08-24-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:35 PM
99creation-evo
Advanced

I didn't even know what a rub is...until reading this. I am a 28 yr old stay at home Dad and by no means rich. We live on a single very modest hourly wage. Our child has never been watched by anyone than an immediate family member. We camp(in tents) on average 15 times a year for 4-7 day trips.

If I had a toy hauler I know I would be using it on the regular and could care less what people called me.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:36 PM
BlueNoser
Tourer

Originally Posted by overhead
I have no problem with people pulling their bikes in a trailer, I do not care. But something has gone wrong in the world when my neighbor (who just returned from Sturgis with two bikes in a trailer) tells me I am nuts, crazy and almost stupid for riding out there from VA last year. .

Agree, completely, The wife and I did Sturgis in 2005 on the bike about 5000 miles return and LOVED IT. Camped at the Chip.
Would like to do it again and take the trailer.
I go to laconia every year. We have rented a house there for 15 years, the cabins beside us are rented by a group from MAINE ( 6 hours away) and they arrive every year with two Ultras on a trailer. They call us the crazy Canucks because we ride all the way from Nova Scotia Canada to Laconia, it's about a 12 hour ride.

Quick Reply: Took the Toyhauler to a Rally