General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took the Toyhauler to a Rally

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:31 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was on the list, but we just plumb ran outta time. We were supposed to do a trip around Nova Scotia, but maybe next year if we save up enough $$$.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:43 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget the price of campgrounds and I also pay $50 a month for a place to park it year round. Insurance, you really do need a separate policy for it if you want it completely covered.

I've owned a camping trailer for years and have taken many long trips with the family but the one thing that they are NOT is money savers!

I enjoy it a lot but they are a net loss over just staying in hotels.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:32 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what he said

Old 09-03-2010, 09:45 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
Don't forget the price of campgrounds and I also pay $50 a month for a place to park it year round. Insurance, you really do need a separate policy for it if you want it completely covered.

I've owned a camping trailer for years and have taken many long trips with the family but the one thing that they are NOT is money savers!

I enjoy it a lot but they are a net loss over just staying in hotels.
Don't forget depreciation and fuel consumption. I was at a giant truck stop in Colorado, and a guy with a big-*** bus and Toy Hauler (read: aquisition hauler) was filling up with diesel when I pulled in on the bike. His fuel bill? $1500! Mine? $7.50

Old 09-04-2010, 07:20 AM
MCHOGG
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't think you will save any money using a toy hauler, I do the motorhome trailer route. I am getting a new truck conversion (about $750 a fillup) and will pull a trailer, you can go and come as you want to with out the hotel/motel check in/out times, take what you want to eat and drink at prices less than bars and diners. I still enjoy local places for some eats.
I haven't done much tent so I won't comment on that area.
You have the freedom to go around the country at your own pace, but to each his own I don't think my way is for everyone but it is what I want to do.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:52 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not know if it is cheaper than a hotel or not, but to me it would not really matter. It is not about what is expensive or what is cheap.

It really comes down to what one enjoys I suppose. I enjoy the trip as much if not more than most destinations. I would not enjoy the trip pulling a trailer or driving a camper. I drove a truck over the road for a while and I have had enough of looking through a windshield. I understand others are different and there is nothing wrong with that I suppose. I am the same about camping or hiking. Camping to me is being out in the woods with or without a tent, out away from other people. Some other folks like camping at a campsite with a pool, store and bathroom. To me that is not camping.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldairboater
.... Might sound like an adventure to some but I think it is dumb to be uncomfortable to prove a point to a bunch of tooth counting morons. ....

Sitting here in my nice rental cottage, with my bike out in the nice rental cottage garage, having a cup of morning coffee...and this made me laugh so hard the entire family wanted to know what was so funny. Impossible to explain. Made my morning, though. After I finish my delicious coffee I'm gonna get the bike out and go for a nice ride. I'll wave at the other RUBs and posers, with a well-rested arm.

Mark

P.S. To keep it on topic, I'm looking to buy a camper for next year and considering toyhaulers. Thanks for the thread. Very interesting.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:56 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Darn it, if I could only figure out how to be comfortable in a tent and make coffee I would be all set! Next thing I got to figure out is how to watch TV and play on my computer while on a trip, maybe I can answer some work email!

Honestly boys, I feel pretty darn refreshed crawling out of my tent and making my coffee on my camp stove while watching the sun come up. Heck, I feel a lot more refreshed doing that then I do crawling out of bed and turning on my coffee maker at home. Not everyone digs it, I get that. I don't get the rest of the attitude about it, but I guess I will have to live with that

Old 09-04-2010, 06:28 PM
MCHOGG
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

When taking a trailer or RV, Something I did several years ago was to carry a few extra cases beer and a few bottles of whiskey when traveling to dry areas and sell or take donations for the extras I would not use. I heard that may be illegal now days, a shame you can no longer help out your fellow man.

Last edited by MCHOGG; 09-04-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:18 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Can't say that I would save any money in a toyhauler vs a hotel room, but I hate hotels. And I'm not taking a dump in the woods anymore, so tenting is out.

On another note. I've owned two toyhaulers, a 33' Work and Play with a seperate garage, and my current 36' Weekend Warrior with an open plan (no slides). We have found that the open plan feels cavernous when the motorcycles are out. I've been in several newer 36 to 40 foot models with a seperate garage and they always feel cramped inside, even with the slides out.