General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you HAVE to go down???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:15 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

That phrase may be more of a nudge to dressing for the crash and not the ride.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:22 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I have been riding since 1956. I'm 70 now and have had about thirty bikes. I have never been close to going down.

I realized at a very young age that ALL of the other drivers are out to get you. I developed defensive driving strategies before there even was anything called defensive driving.

I believe that the driver coming to the stop sign at an intersection will not stop at it and will not look to see if I'm there. I slow down and am prepared to take what ever action I need to. I have even had to do this when it was a squad car at the stop intersection.

Backing out of a driveway, coming up behind you at a stop, crossing the center line, changing into your lane all of these and more are ways that motorist will get you. Be prepared and assume that yes they are going to do it and start your preparations.

Like I said everyone is out to get you and not a one of them gives a damn. And most of the general public and justice system hardly gives a hoot either.

It is in your hands to do what is needed.

I would like to see a law were a motorcyclist can shoot one motorist a year. I would go around and let about ten each year know that I was thinking of picking them for the honor. Get more use out of the law that way.

Last edited by lh4x4; 08-24-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:23 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Been riding since 1968 and have been down twice........not hurt seriously in either and the bikes sustained very minor damage. It might happen again, but not because I am doing something stupid!

Old 08-24-2010, 04:23 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

Been down twice, with no major injuries. Last time in 1979. Hopefully I've filled my quota.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Cajun King
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad mojo just talking about it. Stay positive and alert and you should not ever have to worry about it.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:25 PM
lfmn16
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the only factor was your riding skills, you could greatly reduce your chances of going down, but it's also dependent on the ***-holes in cages, road conditions, weather, etc. You can minimize your chances, but if you do any significant riding, I'm not sure it is possible to beat the odds.

I've only been down once, but it cost me a month in the hospital, 6 operations, 6 months on disability and a lifetime committment to physical therapy. A cager wasn't paying attention and made a right-hand turn directly into me.

Your mileage may vary!

Old 08-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started riding in 69 and haven't been down on a street bike so far. No collisions, no slips on gravel. That includes at least 20 bikes including 7 Harleys and plenty of miles. I've been lucky but it's not totally luck. I could forsee a deer/bike incident because there are a bunch of them around me here in central Arkansas.

I did drop a Triumph in my garage sitting still a couple of years ago.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:35 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've dropped my scoot in the yard more times than I can count but I never have had a crash while riding in 44 years.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:54 PM
TxCowboy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I have been riding since 1956. I'm 70 now and have had about thirty bikes. I have never been close to going down.

I realized at a very young age that ALL of the other drivers are out to get you. I developed defensive driving strategies before there even was anything called defensive driving.

I believe that the driver coming to the stop sign at an intersection will not stop at it and will not look to see if I'm there. I slow down and am prepared to take what ever action I need to. I have even had to do this when it was a squad car at the stop intersection.

Backing out of a driveway, coming up behind you at a stop, crossing the center line, changing into your lane all of these and more are ways that motorist will get you. Be prepared and assume that yes they are going to do it and start your preparations.

Like I said everyone is out to get you and not a one of them gives a damn. And most of the general public and justice system hardly gives a hoot either.

It is in your hands to do what is needed.

I would like to see a law were a motorcyclist can shoot one motorist a year. I would go around and let about ten each year know that I was thinking of picking them for the honor. Get more use out of the law that way.
Ih4X4, well said!

I've ridden for a few years and have had a long break. I've already laid my new bike over on a gravel parking lot. Fortunately, in all the miles that I've ridden, both when I was younger and now, I've never have I had to lay it down at speed -- but it's been close a few time.

You've gotta be ready for anything.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:04 PM
Boxer 6
Road Captain

It's the good old statistical bell curve. Some will go down (i.e crash) more than others.

Quick Reply: Do you HAVE to go down???