General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iron butt - fun or dumb

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:35 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default iron butt - fun or dumb

whats your take? what comments do you have?

Old 08-24-2010, 12:37 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Either Or

Is what you make of it .. Can make it fun and enjoy or just run 1,000 miles trying to prove something .. Then it's dumb IMHO..

Old 08-24-2010, 12:39 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It depends on what type of riding you like to do. I treat riding kinda like an endurance sport, so I think an IBA run is fun. Some people like to stop every 20 or 30 miles and think riding tank to tank is crazy.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:39 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

A little of both.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:41 PM
sgriff1249
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed it can be either, I and my oldest son just completed one over Father's day weekend. For us, it was a great ride, that has lead to plans for more rides together with a slower pace so we can enjoy the scenery better. It was a "dumb" way to spend a weekend in some respects, but I wouldn't trade the experience of riding with him for a whole lot of money.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:13 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I made a 1,000 miles in a day many times, only once to make an Iron-Butt run. Usually it was because I had to be back to work after a too short vacation or to save money on a motel on a coast to coast. My last one was last year. Wasn't a big deal. and I'm 62.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:23 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dumb.... I have rode almost a thousand miles a couple of times in a day. It was not fun. It was to get from point a to point b in a limited amount of time because all I had was a limited amount of time. I didn't enjoy the ride--I was too tired to enjoy the scenery. My *** ached, my eyes were tired, and I was either hot,cold,wet,or hungry. I actually stopped for a burger and coke. Had a fool ask me as I was sitting there soaking wet in a monsoonal flood if I was enjoying the ride. Gave him my best smile and told him I wish it would get colder--I love snow. I made one of them rides sicker then a dog but I needed to get home. No, I will stick to two hundred to four hundred mile rides for fun if I have the choice.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:38 PM
bigalv63
Tourer

The best I ever did was about 760 on a shovel.. 30 years ago.......it would be dumb now for me to even try to do 1000 even in my truck...LOL...bigal v

Old 08-24-2010, 01:40 PM
thebarzeen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a fun reason to go on a really long ride with a few buddies.... I haven't actually gone through the process of having someone sign off on a departure or return slip and collecting receipts on the way, but just for fun the wife and I have done a few 800-950+ days just to get somewhere good...... we just like picking somewhere rediculus to head off to and doing it.... like lunch in coloroado when we live by chicago.....

Old 08-24-2010, 01:41 PM
terrible1one3
Advanced

It all depends. I have done a thousand in a day before. The first 600-700 were beautiful and tons of fun, the last 300-400 were because we couldn't find a hotel with vacancy.

But those painful last few hundred miles sucked then but made for a great story. I did Deluth, MN to Lansing, MI and my Dad and I went north of Lake Superior to do it. It was on our way back from Sturgis, SD so on the tail end of the ride.

I would say a very small amount of people complete an iron butt ride so for the majority of bikers it would be a cool bragging point but nothing else.

Some people enjoy long grinds, others don't. To each is own, personally I think it's neat, obviously others think it's dumb. If it is a personal goal and is accomplished cool, good thing. If you did it to pretend you have a bigger dick then the next guy then that's stupid.

Quick Reply: iron butt - fun or dumb