General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iron butt - fun or dumb

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:09 AM
futureratbike
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The question itself is 'dumb'. The Iron Butt thing is there for those who want to do it. If you don't want to do it, why give a crap if someone else does? Everyone saying it's dumb has deeper issues they need worked out, 'cause they're also the type to tell people what they wear or how they ride or what they ride, ad nausea, is 'dumb'. None of their damned business is what it actually is.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:15 AM
timyow
Stage I

The main thing is that you ride--If you try LD riding and like it --go for it. If you'd rather take your time, that's fine too. I rode my 1st IBA Saddlesore when I was 60. I'm 67 now and have completed 37 IBA Certified rides. I've ridden more of them on Harleys than any other bike. I rode one on a 250 Honda Helix in 18 hours. I still like to take rides where I get up in the morning and decide which direction I'm going that day and I don't care if I get there. IBA is about learning your limits and noticing the symptoms of dehydration & fatique.
But those who get more out of riding by taking their time---different strokes for different folks. Doesn't make one rider better than another
Tim Yow / Rydnfool

Old 08-27-2010, 10:20 AM
grw
Advanced

Just sent in my paper work for the SS1000. Spent 14 wonderful days on my new Limited traveling a little over 5,000 miles going to Sturgis, Yellowstone Park, Grand Tetons, Idaho, Utah, Las Vegas, Hoover Dam, and Grand Canyon. After 13 days of riding with one full day of rest, it was time to head home. Didn't really plan the "Iron Butt" but, as it worked out, the last day riding home started out leaving at 6:00 AM from Grants, NM and arriving home at 12:30 in the morning after 1,024.3 miles. The real reason for the 1,000 mile day was I wanted to get home after being gone for 2 weeks but, I had all the receipts so why not send in for the "Iron Butt"? I wouldn't want to do another 1,000 mile day any tiome soon but, I'm n ot saying I wouldn't do it again if the conditions were right and I wanted to get to where I wanted to go. There's not much to stop and look at on this stretch of I-40.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:22 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default solo

Originally Posted by terrible1one3
...Maybe you ride solo because no one wants to dismount dozens of times on a 200 mile ride...
I dismount so often because I can; I am free to do so. I ride solo because I can barely hold the bike up without dropping it as it is.

But the rest of your post made me realize that I had misspoken, regarding "fun or dumb". Just because it isn't fun for me doesn't justify the "dumb" label. And everyone who finishes obviously hasn't gone beyond his limits. So I have added an edit to retract that ill-conceived statement. Thanks.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:23 AM
Tx_Rider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Trumpeter42
The thing is, Long Distance Riding is considered a sport to those who participate in it repeatedly. The Iron Butt Association is the largest and most reputable organization overseeing the sport. The IBA's purpose is to set/maintain standards and recognize accomplishments. They keep and publish a database of all riders who have riden and documented any certified ride. All of the IBA certificate rides are difficult, and anyone who can accomplish one safely deserves some recognition of the achievement. The cost of the certificate covers the considerable effort the IBA goes through to verify each ride in detail so that every ride certificate granted is accurate and proven.

I've done several IBA certificate rides, SS1000's and BB1500's. But what really gets me going are the rallies. LD rallies are where you take your ability to ride 1000 mile days and compete against other riders in a type of scavenger hunt across vast stretches of the country. Events can run for different amounts of time... 12 hour, 24 hour, 36 hour, a week or more. There are checkpoints with time windows. Riders are given a list of locations and instructions on what to do at each location. Each location is worth a certain point value, depending on how far away or difficult its to get to. Each rider has to plan a route to collect as many points as possbible while reaching the checkpoints and finish on time. The skills needed to compete successfully in these events are complex.... routing, endurance, riding efficiency, planning, etc.. it's also a test of the motorcycle, especially in the multi-day events.

I've done 5 LD Rallies in the past two years, the most recent being the Iron Butt 5000 last week. I rode 5575 miles in 5 days starting in Denver, through Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Texas, Louisiana, Mississipi, Alabama, Georgia, and ending in Spartanburg, South Carolina. It was a great ride. I saw more great roads and scenery than I remember, and visited a lot of places that were unique and interesting. I came in 16th place out of 65 starting riders, and 54 that made it to the finish. I was the only Harley rider to finish.

Because of my IB 5000 finish, I'm now guaranteed a spot in the 2011 Iron Butt Rally next June. This is considered the 'Superbowl' of the sport... 11 days and 11 thousand miles, often called the "World's Toughest Motorcycle Competition." Usually, riders have to be chosen through a lottery system, as several thousand apply for the 100 starting positions.

I'll be riding my trusty 2006 Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Wow, HD's have not been a popular choice for the LD riding scene. Good luck.

I have been interested lately in LD/Endurance riding but also have an HD.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:42 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

" for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

How one person enjoys their ride, might not appeal to another.

If you want to run an Iron Butt... or if you want to ride to the bar.... or if you want to "keep the miles off"
what YOU do... is what you do.....

Old 08-28-2010, 09:00 AM
BadMoJoe
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Whether its fun or not, its a challenge and thats the point. Check the finish line at a marathon or triathalon, those guys look tortured but they pushed themselves for the experience. If you never push yourself you never know what you're capable of...some people are too scared to find out.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:09 AM
bobmeinet
5th Gear

I've done a half dozen or so IBA rides, only to get somewhere over a thousand miles away. Did paperwork only on one SS1000 and one BB1500.

It's fun if you arrive at your destination and take up an offer to go for a local ride.

It's dumb to ride through pain and exhaustion because you're increasing your risk.

Having owned a 2003 Ultra Classic and four GL1800's, I can say IB rides are a lot easier on a Wing than on the Ultra.

Bob Fisher
Kalamazoo, Michigan