General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iron butt - fun or dumb

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Ultra Street Jewell
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have done the 1,000 miles in one day 2 times. One was coming back from Milwaukee Wisconsin and the other was back from N.C.....

Depends on how much you like to ride and who you are riding with really....

Old 08-24-2010, 01:53 PM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't sound like much fun to me. With that said, my uncle and I are planning a run to Sturgis next summer that will involve a 1000 mile day, running hard and fast. From my house to Kansas City, MO is right at 1011 miles. We plan to leave around 3AM. Next day will be about 750 miles into Sturgis. We'll take three or four days coming back.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done some 1000+ mile rides in less than a day. The most recent was Rapid City to St Louis in about 21 hours coming home from the 2009 rally. I didn't find much fun in it. But if somebody else does, thats fine--until they cop an "I'm better than you" attitude about it.

Last edited by Sharknose; 08-24-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:54 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Dumb.... I have rode almost a thousand miles a couple of times in a day. It was not fun. It was to get from point a to point b in a limited amount of time because all I had was a limited amount of time. I didn't enjoy the ride--I was too tired to enjoy the scenery. My *** ached, my eyes were tired, and I was either hot,cold,wet,or hungry. I actually stopped for a burger and coke. Had a fool ask me as I was sitting there soaking wet in a monsoonal flood if I was enjoying the ride. Gave him my best smile and told him I wish it would get colder--I love snow. I made one of them rides sicker then a dog but I needed to get home. No, I will stick to two hundred to four hundred mile rides for fun if I have the choice.
+1. I wholeheartedly agree, DUMB. I rode back from Daytona to central Jersey one year. It was spring bikeweek, still cold up here. I packed up my tent and gear at 5AM Saturday and left the campground on Tomoka Farms Rd. Rode straight through and made it home over 1,000 miles later at about 2AM Sunday morning. That ride was not enjoyable at all. Nothing to brag about and I didn't FEEL like I acomplished anything special. Pure stupidity. I hit Richmond Virginia at around 10PM that saturday night, freezing cold. I almost dropped the bike over at a fuel stop from a combination of exhaustion and hypothermia. When I finally did get home I just drove across the lawn and left the bike parked by the back porch. It was all the effort I had just to put the kick-stand down. I took a shower and layed down but was actually too frazzled to fall asleep. Every time I drifted off to sleep I would jump up off the couch thinking I was still riding the bike and I had somehow fallen asleep on Rt95. Never again.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Pagan48
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pleasure pain.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:56 PM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

When I was young and dumb, sure it'd be fun, now at 62, hell it'd be hard to do a 1000 miles at one sitting in my truck, much less on a bike.

Al

Old 08-24-2010, 02:09 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I ain't knocking anybody else - but for me I simply like to be comfortable when I ride. I am never in a rush to get anywhere. I am retired and can take all the time I need. I would rather stop every hour or so for a puff on a cigar and to stretch my legs than rack up a bunch of miles. When my wife is on the back, she likes to get off too and stretch the legs a bit. I have no problem with booking hotels about 250 to 350 miles apart and then jumping in the hot tub before heading to an Oive Garden or Red Lobster for a bite to eat. I like less stress and have no need to pack on the miles to impress somebody. I try to take the back roads when possible don't care if I get more than a few miles down the road each day.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:15 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Neither fun nor dumb. It just is.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:29 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad I did it. Won't do it again.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:30 PM
bluegrassboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not my idea of a nice ride......would never do it......on purpose anyway.....

Quick Reply: iron butt - fun or dumb