General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another cell phone rant!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:09 PM
soundman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
I have been riding for 30+ years and counting, and I'd still like to know just how you door kicking folks keep yourself upright, while kicking in the door of a cage moving at 70 MPH going down the highway? Kicking a solid object while moving at speed would at a minimum cause a pretty extreem and in most cases uncontrolled wobble and worse case, take some hide off your back side. Do tell?
+100 Kinda reminds me of a line I used in the Navy..."You don't have to lie, I'll still be your friend". I believe if I saw a car about to come into my lane, I'd be on the binders and trying to avoid a collision rather that kicking at it. As far as ranting about cell phones, just give it a break. Nothing's gonna change it, its just a risk we take when we travel the roads nowadays, no matter what we're driving. If it worries people that bad, sell the scoot and don't ride anymore.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by monstead
Was on the Dallas North Tollway on Saturday...next to a TX State Trooper...HE had his hand holding his iPod by his face...all the while reading and texting. I couldn't believe my eyes!
monstead,

you shoulda pulled him over and chewed his azz - made a 'citizens arrest'!

Bet it might have gotten his attention!

(But the abuse is pretty universal...)

Old 08-24-2010, 02:04 PM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GrimmRider
BTW, I just moved from Los Angeles where I've flipped off Paris Hilton driving her pink Bentley while she chatted on the cell phone on the 405.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by monstead
Was on the Dallas North Tollway on Saturday...next to a TX State Trooper...HE had his hand holding his iPod by his face...all the while reading and texting. I couldn't believe my eyes!
Thats the first time you've seen that in Dallas? You arent' getting out much. I see it all of the time around here. In fact, for a while I was starting to think they used cell phones instead of the official radios now.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:41 PM
VsTheWorld
Road Master

Originally Posted by tx-skydiver
Thats the first time you've seen that in Dallas? You arent' getting out much. I see it all of the time around here. In fact, for a while I was starting to think they used cell phones instead of the official radios now.

a lot of times we do - between poor radio reception and the proliferation of scanners (some of which are available as an "app" for the iphone) radio comm's are not secure

Old 08-24-2010, 02:49 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

The only real solution I can think of is if cell phones are disabled when in motion. This would probably violate the constitution. Also the phone companies would be really pissed. Just think, one in four of us will be killed while someone is talking on a cell phone. Also I occasionally talk while driving, therefore I shouldn't cast stones.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:43 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VsTheWorld
a lot of times we do - between poor radio reception and the proliferation of scanners (some of which are available as an "app" for the iphone) radio comm's are not secure
I wouldn't have been bothered if he'd been talking on the phone and would've assumed it was "police business", but TEXTING? I couldn't believe my eyes. I know they have computers in their cars & even if they didn't, can't imagine the departments would communicate to their LEO's via text messaging, so I have to assume that this trooper's texting was personal in nature. I will say, he was driving very well...consistent speed and not swerving like most texters do.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, the majority of everyone responding to this thread has never and will never talk on the phone in thier car? Get real, most of you break that law as often as everyone else. You just want to sound like a self-righteous, indignant innocent person. Are there problems with tqlking on the phone? hell yes, should cops be above that law hell no.
But carry on, I'm sure you will have a great time telling everyone how upstanding you are.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:42 PM
codered11343
Intermediate

My coworker told me something that I now live by after almost being killed many times.

"Ride like everyone is out to get you...because everyone is!"

Old 08-25-2010, 04:40 AM
HDMarkyB
Road Captain

THANK GOD others feel the way I do about cell phones!! I live in a small town and i'm REALLY uncomfortable about a girl behind me in a 3 ton SUV that she has NO idea how much room it takes to stop-or care for that matter to not cream my old azz..! I'm sick of it. Here in NYS they MADE the law farking enforce it! Double the fines-suspend licenses-I'd LOVE to see it. On any given afternoon I can count at least a dozen just while sitting at lights. Yeah I know men do it too but guess what? I ain't never seen a guy pumping gas into his 3 ton pig while the phone is up to his ear! ONE battery spark and we are all toast! One poster said awhile back he blew his air horns and the girl said: 'Excuse me! I'm on the phone!' REALLY??? Get a grip. Your 'precious' bullsh*t conversation can wait a few... License suspensions may sink into these dizzy broads at some point and yes the FEW guys I see doing it as well.. AND guess what? I'd rather have a biker behind me with a couple of beers in him than some Bimbo texting on the steering wheel of her Escalade! Sorry-I calls it likes I sees it. Rant completed-for now.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:57 AM
harleyriv
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think someone may have said it already...there's no technical reason why a smart phone should not:

a. be dissabled whilst it is moving above a certain speed. (gps must be visible or phone locks)
b. or only operate via bluetooth whilst same.

All other cells should be banned from use whilst driving and anyone caught using them (the phone company can verify the time and or the place of usage) should have their license revoked.....

Quick Reply: Another cell phone rant!!