General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacific Coast Highway Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010 | 01:04 AM
08rking
Cruiser

I've ridden both directions several times, and you can't go wrong either way. Whichever direction you don't ride this time, come back and ride on your next vacation. The weather is perfect right now too.

Old 08-25-2010 | 06:50 PM
Dustball
Road Master

South...no doubt about it. The strip between Carmel and Morro Bay is some of the most spectacular scenery in America, with plenty of opportunities to view seals, sea lions, otters, etc...

Old 08-25-2010 | 07:18 PM
captharley
Cruiser

Go South-- Best Western at San Simion is a good place to stay- ask for one of the new rooms on the beach--

Old 08-25-2010 | 07:37 PM
Little Mike
Road Master

I give my vote to the south trip. One of the things I like about the south trip is the coast line starts changing around Atascadero and Morro Bay and once you're as far south as Pismo, the coast gets a little more beach like and a little less of the rugged northern coast. Gives the trip some variety, IMHO. Like Other Sheep said, food in Morro Bay! I'd recommend Rosa's on the embarcadero for calamari and Madori margaritas at sunset over the bay, even if you aren't with your girl it is a spectacular way to end the day. Lots of good places in Pismo too if you end up stopping there.

Old 08-25-2010 | 08:05 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member

is Harry's still in Pismo , it use-to-be a Good Partay Place

Old 08-25-2010 | 08:09 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

I would go north

Old 08-26-2010 | 06:40 AM
TxDeuce
|
Tourer

So I've been getting lots of great feedback. This is what I'm thinking. Heading north to Fort Bragg the first day. Then going up to Fortuna and taking Hwy 36 east to the Red Bluff on day 2. After that not sure how much time I'll have left on day two but if there is enough maybe doubling back and trying to get a little bit of the Redwood Hwy in (101). I'm used to long days on the bike (actually rather enjoy it). I don't want to be on much past dusk. Proabably riding back on the slab to get back to San Fran on day three to return my rental before 5pm. What do you guys think?

Old 08-26-2010 | 07:42 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member

I would still say South myself and I lived out there for LOTS of years. Parents lived in Santa Barbara and then Atascadero, was stationed in San Diego, GI Billed at Cal Poly in SLO, engineered at VAFB for almost 20 years, etc. etc. etc. (ETA2: Just noticed you're a neighbor Tx Deuce - I retired a few years ago after another 15 years or so over here at CCAFS/PAFB so you can probably tell that HDs aren't the only thing I love that's rumbles a bit, then gets pretty loud, and finally goes a bit fast if it suits 'ya).

Like others have said, just the trip from San Fransisco down to Santa Barbara will offer virtually every type of thing you can see or do all the way from Mexico to Vancouver.

Santa Barbara is "Southern California" and any further South is just MORE of So Cal... well... plus a ton of traffic after SB.

Pretty much the same for San Fransisco. It's Northern California and any further North than is just that, further North (less traffic though).

JMHO but there it is.

ETA: Run down Cal Hwy 1 and back up US Hwy 101.

Last edited by RangeRat; 08-26-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-26-2010 | 08:15 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by TxDeuce
So I've been getting lots of great feedback. This is what I'm thinking. Heading north to Fort Bragg the first day. Then going up to Fortuna and taking Hwy 36 east to the Red Bluff on day 2. After that not sure how much time I'll have left on day two but if there is enough maybe doubling back and trying to get a little bit of the Redwood Hwy in (101). I'm used to long days on the bike (actually rather enjoy it). I don't want to be on much past dusk. Proabably riding back on the slab to get back to San Fran on day three to return my rental before 5pm. What do you guys think?
I've been up and down the CA coast many times. Great ride either way. More traffic going south, moreso on the weekends.
As others have said, you can't go wrong either way, but this version sounds great, but be ready for the weather. It will likely be cool, maybe even cold and foggy along the coast but HOT in Red Bluff. Be ready for either or both.

Go south next trip.

Last edited by deadhawg; 08-26-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-26-2010 | 08:55 AM
zoopman
Road Master

You will like Fort Bragg and Highway 36 has got to be one of the best motorcycle roads I've ever been on. My Son lives in Eureka Ca. and we visit him and the surrounding area as often as we can. There will be more to see than you will have time for on the California coast --so I say take in as much as you can this time as you will want to go back to see more another time for sure!

Quick Reply: Pacific Coast Highway Help