Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about broken kick stands

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:39 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question about broken kick stands

I have a silly question (perhaps)...but I've been riding for over 15 years, and I've had my HD since 2005...never had a problem with a kick(jiffy) stand...but I have always wondered...what would happen if you were riding and the thing broke. I don't claim to know much about these things in terms of how they work...or more specifically, the way they are designed. I just know that HD has the best one in the industry. I know you can push on them...push the bike forward, with the stand down..and as long as it's in the 'locked' position, that thing won't fold back. Those Jap clones don't do that...or at least they didn't when I owned them.

Nonetheless...sometimes I ride and I think of silly things...like what would happen if my wheel fell off (things would be pretty bad I would think ) So the other day I thought of the kick stand breaking...as in..I'm on the side of the road, but the stand is broke and I have nothing to hold the bike up. Perhaps this is a stretch...I mean..if the spring broke, I guess the stand would still go down - and hold the bike up, no? I just thought about how ridiculous it would be sitting on the shoulder not being able to get off my bike because I have no stand.

Anyway..if my question really is silly...or at least if it's something that couldn't happen, I'd sure love to hear about it. Trust me...I don't think about these things all the time...if I did, I probably wouldn't be riding. But every now and again, this stuff enters my mind. So I figured I'd ask.

Thanks

Old 08-22-2010, 08:50 PM
ROMPUS
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think if the spring broke it would be in the down position and still hold the bike up

Old 08-22-2010, 08:55 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,523 Likes on 926 Posts

I think you think too much

Old 08-22-2010, 09:02 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you stoned?

Actually what you can do just in case that happens is you can carry a piece of 6"x6"x 12" lumber. You can then cradle it under your frame in case you gotta stop and take a whiz on the side of the road. You can bungee it to the passengers seat. Even paint a face on it.. you know... like Tom Hanks in that Stranded movie with the basketball? You can even name it.. How about "Blockhead"? Oh forgot... thats the nickname for Evo motor already...

What kind of weed you say youre smoking?

Last edited by trafficjams; 08-22-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:02 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your jiffy stand is not folding all the way up-----------change the spring before it breaks. A weak spring will eventually break. When you put your bike on the jack be sure and check the nut that holds the arm on.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:08 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,240 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by veniculum

Nonetheless...sometimes I ride and I think of silly things...like what would happen if my wheel fell off (things would be pretty bad I would think ).

Thanks
Triumph has a solution for if your front wheel falls off. It is toward the end of this informational video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKEuzxC4eGc

Old 08-22-2010, 09:18 PM
black dyna
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine fell off one time when i went to put it down at a ladys house.its a 07 dyna .the carter pin fell out the pin the holds the stand .fell off on the road i think?and when i went to put it down it fell off.the girl frend put the stand in her v stars bag and i still hear about that and we went to harley and thay had to take one off a bike the pin,they didnt have one in parts.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:06 AM
rydermike
Road Warrior

I broke mine on a 2007 Ultra , while doing the Hoka Hey Challenge , after the "jump" in the air on the frost heave's in the Yukon ..... broke the square part off the top of the stand , so it swiveled freely. And let me tell ya , finding a damn jiffy stand is tougher than you think! Especially in Alaska! for temp use , put in gear , take all preload out and gently set bike on stand , where it won't lurch forward or backward.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:23 AM
eagle56
Road Captain

I dont like the HD stand its does not go forward enough to have confidence in it and I came close to dropping it when moving it in the garrage.

No probs with my jap stands

Old 08-23-2010, 11:35 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
Triumph has a solution for if your front wheel falls off. It is toward the end of this informational video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKEuzxC4eGc
That's a fn riot!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Question about broken kick stands